Our Best XI

accies1874

It's been said so much, it's cliche but it really is so good to have so much depth beyond a 'starting 11'. I think, right now, assuming everyone is fit, McGinn is arguably the only player that it really hurts us to miss. Robertson, Tierney, and McTonimay missing as definite blows but I think we can shuffle and get on with it. I don't think we really have a like-for-like replacement for McGinn and can't really tweak the shape to account for his loss.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's been said so much, it's cliche but it really is so good to have so much depth beyond a 'starting 11'. I think, right now, assuming everyone is fit, McGinn is arguably the only player that it really hurts us to miss. Robertson, Tierney, and McTonimay missing as definite blows but I think we can shuffle and get on with it. I don't think we really have a like-for-like replacement for McGinn and can't really tweak the shape to account for his loss.

Lewis Ferguson ?

2 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Slightly off topic I think it is noticeable the conversation about our formation with regards to playing both Tierney and Robertson has ceased.

SSC success ?!

That ceased a long time ago.

For the first few games it didn't work as we had feck all creativity. But then I can't remember the game, but Clarke put Fraser in support of Dykes and with McGinn pushing forward - along with the Tierney/Robertson overlap we suddenly had something.

8 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Lewis Ferguson ?

Ooft, good shout. We're so good now, I genuinely forgot about an abslutely class player we have in our squad. On paper, yes, he looks like a good replacement for McGinn if we wer to lose him to injury or whatever. I suppose we just haven't seen enough of him in a Scotland shirt yet for him to be the obviou answer to me. He's a player i'd really like to see get some game time soon.

12 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Slightly off topic I think it is noticeable the conversation about our formation with regards to playing both Tierney and Robertson has ceased.

SSC success ?!

It's a real testament to SSC that all the angst about which formation to play, how to fit Tierney and Roberston into the same team, etc, feels like a long way back. It's probably easy to underestimate what big challeneges these were and it's certainly taken a bit of time to find the right answers but it looks like we're there now.

17 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I think you can play the same diamond midfield we played on Tuesday with Armstrong/Christie/Ferguson taking the McGinn role. Tierney being out is the biggest loss - there isn't a replacement that gives us the same dynamism and the back 3 looks a bit pedestrian.

I'd love to see us continue with Gilmour in the team which probably means the same midfield 4 we saw on Tuesday.  

Porteous has taken to international football like a duck to water, I've been really impressed with his performances, hard to drop him I think. Let's see how Hanley comes back from injury.

Edited by TeeMan

Just now, TeeMan said:

Porteous has taken to international football like a duck to water, I've been really impressed with his performances.

Agreed. I can see him keeping his spot even when we have the full seleciton of CBs to pick from.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Ooft, good shout. We're so good now, I genuinely forgot about an abslutely class player we have in our squad. On paper, yes, he looks like a good replacement for McGinn if we wer to lose him to injury or whatever. I suppose we just haven't seen enough of him in a Scotland shirt yet for him to be the obviou answer to me. He's a player i'd really like to see get some game time soon.

He seemed to end the season as a bit of a goal machine.

( and I think he too has scored more goals than Joe Jordan when he was in Italy )

22 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Tierney and now McTominay would really hurt us as well

31 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

SSC success ?!

A bit of an outside take, but perhaps the right-back (or lack thereof) problem solving itself, solved the left-back (too many of) problem?

Under Strachan (for example), Right Backs and Scotland could hardly be in the same sentence. Having to play KT out there drew more attention to the LB issue, because it seemed like that was done just to fit KT in the squad.

But now we have two (nearly) elite-level RBs, it's allowed Clarke to experiment more with KT's position, eventually finding that sweet spot as a LCB overlapping with Robbo.

Definitely an SSC Success, but possibly also a little bit of credit to the two right backs NP and AH, for just existing.

18 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

He seemed to end the season as a bit of a goal machine.

( and I think he too has scored more goals than Joe Jordan when he was in Italy )

Aye, Jordan scored 6 in 30 games, during the 1981/82 season, whilst Ferguson has scored 7 in 32.

Jordan went on to score a total of 12 in 52, before going to Verona.

image.thumb.png.68f51ba5ca81ab8d461038dc31115d53.png

• I looked at the last 12 months. Disregarded the friendly camp in November. Included players called up to at least 3 of the 4 last squads in initial squad announcements. Included only players that have played at least 1 minute in the last 12 months. I ordered the table by the percentage of minutes played when the player was available. i.e. not injured, suspended or made unavailable by their club. To make the table more readable I broke the groups by position.

I think from that table it's not too difficult to figure out where everyone's at within the squad and that there is more than eleven players that could easily be considered as being in a best XI.

Edited by 2426255

It's a fantastic "problem" to have at the moment, so many options and who knows what could happen over the next 12 months, could see somebody else emerge.

I'm interested to see it Souttar can have a season fully fit and see how he does in Europe. Tierney for me is the only 100% starter at centre back, but at least now we've got plenty of options so it's not that much of a concern missing a couple.

Midfield we have the same issue in the middle, a lot of options, I'd still like to see us with another wide/attacking midfield option.

Up top I like both Che and Dykes, they're different but both capable of leading the line and I still think they'd be capable of playing together. Be good to see how Nisbet does at Millwall, he looked well off the pace when he came on on Tuesday, but had ended his season a good few weeks prior I suppose.

Good thing is we have a lot of youngsters, many of who will get better, no reason the majority of this squad can't take us up to Euro 2028 and many of them will still be involved by 2030.

We've had a few glimmers before, but I'm excited, and actually confident, about this team.

Ross Stewart likely to miss the start of the season for Sunderland but not believed to be too far away from a return after that. Would be good to get him into the squad because his scoring record in the English Championship is fantastic.

Though it pains me to say it.

no one who plays in scotland. All the big game players play else where (mainly England) where they play week in week put competitive games. All small fish in big ponds fighting for a spot. Really impressed with a lot of these lads. 

I like Armstrong when he’s on his game but yet again, toss of a coin.

I don’t think Clarke has put a foot wrong with selection. He brings on the guys who are meh to waste time at the end of games.

that will be McLeans story in 30 years time sat in the pub, may as well bin him now. McTominay has been the stand out of this qualifying campaign, long may it continue.

robertson is class but a left back won’t win you a game along with tierny. But yet again great problem to have.

mon the scotland

3 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

no one who plays in scotland. All the big game players play else where (mainly England) where they play week in week put competitive games. All small fish in big ponds fighting for a spot. Really impressed with a lot of these lads. 

I don’t think Clarke has put a foot wrong with selection. He brings on the guys who are meh to waste time at the end of games.

that will be McLeans story in 30 years time sat in the pub, may as well bin him now. McTominay has been the stand out of this qualifying campaign, long may it continue.

robertson is class but a left back won’t win you a game along with tierny. But yet again great problem to have.

mon the scotland

McGregor is a nailed on starter for us. 

Aside from that, you probably wouldn’t have any other Scottish based players but that’s probably a good thing. The best players for Croatia, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark aren’t playing in their home country, they’re playing in the EPL, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga.

4 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

Why wouldn't a left back win you a game, compared to other positions? We absolutely would not have won the Spain game with Robertson and Tierney.

5 hours ago, El Gringo Jag said:

mon the scotland

Calum MacGregor

Not necessarily first.choice -

John Souttar , Ryan Jack ,

Lawrence Shankland

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain
Poor memory