Clyde vs Stranraer

Even when it was 11 vs 11 we were strolling that game. Stranraer will undoubtedly moan but all penalties were stonewallers IMO. Currie stopped the score from being double figures today. A bobbins goal to concede but we’ve enjoyed an excellent few weeks. Sixth in the table and looking much healthier. Even better when you think we still have Rankin and Syvertsen to come back.

As for Stranraer, they were a rabble. I appreciate that they have quite a few injury problems but they were horrible. Any team that plays five at the back against us is in trouble - it astonishes me that Farrell chose to play that formation today. I sincerely hope that things pick up as that was really something to watch.

Edited by Scott-Replay

Stranraer were another team that, even before getting a man sent off, were absolutely serene about letting us play out from the back. Diddies. They looked to be playing to 'nick it' from the off, too.

We've dominated teams that way before, but never accompanied the performance with a glut of goals. I think we'll only ever do it again - score so many - if we find a big centre-forward to partner Goodie.

Class from the off: playing like Arsenal in their unbeaten season; almost strange to see quality like that at this level. I can't remember us being so classy, even as a good Championship ('old first division') side. Incisive and relentless one and two touch moves right up to Stranraer's goalmouth with only our want to walk it into the net left frustrating us. Quality performances all round and had we kept McStay and Love on - at risk of dismissal or injury - I think we'd have had more. The only - arguably - weak performance came from Lamont who was unfortunately distinguished by his using the ball a little less wisely than his colleagues. But, having said that, he was tasked with picking it up and moving it in tougher areas (between the lines). Both Lamont and Johnston put a decent ball in, the latter in particular, but we're probably better with Johnston in the hole as he's that bit savvier decision-wise; he'd basically be Brian Gilmour under another name. And we know how well that arrangement worked, when it worked.

First one was definitely a penalty. Second... Meh. Depends on your attitude to taking control of the ball and how physical you're allowed to be. Can't remember what the third was for but Stranraer could hardly complain. They were keech. Switched off to give them one back - inexperience in midfield and defence shown up a little; probably wouldn't have happened with Rankin in the team.

He. Wears. Number. Nine.

Edited by Sao Paulo
Just in case some bugger points out that we were never in the "Championship"

35 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Even when it was 11 vs 11 we were strolling that game. Stranraer will undoubtedly moan but all penalties were stonewallers IMO. Currie stopped the score from being double figures today. A bobbins goal to concede but we’ve enjoyed an excellent few weeks. Sixth in the table and looking much healthier. Even better when you think we still have Rankin and Syvertsen to come back.

As for Stranraer, they were a rabble. I appreciate that they have quite a few injury problems but they were horrible. Any team that plays five at the back against us is in trouble - it astonishes me that Farrell chose to play that formation today. I sincerely hope that things pick up as that was really something to watch.

If they were playing five at the back then they were even worse than I thought. Looked like a four to me, albeit with Hamill disappearing into midfield/Goodwillie's pocket any chance he could. 

Hopefully the fact there were some penalties and a red card doesn't detract from the fact that Stranraer put in a performance on par with Berwick at the end of last season. I couldn't believe how much space they gave to Lamont behind their midfield, at the resulting space that created for Goodwillie/Love when a defender stepped forward. Punted the ball for the worst striker in League 2 last season to chase. Two half-time subs did okay. 14 shots on target with three penalties means that Currie did an exceptional job. No exaggeration to suggest we could have hit double figures today.

We started at a good tempo, moved the ball well and won it back high up the pitch time and time again. We were ripping eleven men apart, so no surprise it was even worse against ten. Some great performances, with McStay and Goodwillie the standouts. 

Not a bad crowd at all given the opposition, and our Broadwood unbeaten run will now go to a full 11 months.

Today was one of those days where everything clicked perfectly for us. 3 clear penalties given, lino actually doing his job and flagging for a retake for the 3rd one, every 50/50 ball we won or the rebound dropped to us and Goodwillie was on fire, he made Hamill look like a sunday league centre half.

Stranraer were dreadful today from the first whistle to the last. We couldve been 2 or 3 up before the 1st penalty and the sending off. They'll fit in well in league 2 next season.

After the game I heard Stranraer fans (one of the 4 or 5 that turned up) saying the ref had a shocker. He correctly gave 3 stonewall penalties and was consistent throughout the game for both sides. Difference is we didnt pull players to the ground or elbow them to the face in the box!

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

12 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

Stranraer were another team that, even before getting a man sent off, were absolutely serene about letting us play out from the back. Diddies. They looked to be playing to 'nick it' from the off, too.

We've dominated teams that way before, but never accompanied the performance with a glut of goals. I think we'll only ever do it again - score so many - if we find a big centre-forward to partner Goodie.

Class from the off: playing like Arsenal in their unbeaten season; almost strange to see quality like that at this level. I can't remember us being so classy, even as a good Championship side. Incisive and relentless one and two touch moves right up to Stranraer's goalmouth with only our want to walk it into the net left frustrating us. Quality performances all round and had we kept McStay and Love on - at risk of dismissal or injury - I think we'd have had more. The only - arguably - weak performance came from Lamont who was unfortunately distinguished by his using the ball a little less wisely than his colleagues. But, having said that, he was tasked with picking it up and moving it in tougher areas (between the lines). Both Lamont and Johnston put a decent ball in, the latter in particular, but we're probably better with Johnston in the hole as he's that bit savvier decision-wise; he'd basically be Brian Gilmour under another name. And we know how well that arrangement worked, when it worked.

First one was definitely a penalty. Second... Meh. Depends on your attitude to taking control of the ball and how physical you're allowed to be. Can't remember what the third was for but Stranraer could hardly complain. They were keech. Switched off to give them one back - inexperience in midfield and defence shown up a little; probably wouldn't have happened with Rankin in the team.

He. Wears. Number. Nine.

Currie fouling Goodwillie when he rounded him when 1v1.

Really excellent from us today, albeit against a chronic side. I thought a repeat of Forfar away could've been on the cards when we failed to convert 3 or 4 really good chances before finally taking the lead. Fair play to Currie who still turned in a decent performance despite being a permarage for the full game.

18 minutes ago, David W said:

If they were playing five at the back then they were even worse than I thought. Looked like a four to me, albeit with Hamill disappearing into midfield/Goodwillie's pocket any chance he could. 

Hopefully the fact there were some penalties and a red card doesn't detract from the fact that Stranraer put in a performance on par with Berwick at the end of last season. I couldn't believe how much space they gave to Lamont behind their midfield, at the resulting space that created for Goodwillie/Love when a defender stepped forward. Punted the ball for the worst striker in League 2 last season to chase. Two half-time subs did okay. 14 shots on target with three penalties means that Currie did an exceptional job. No exaggeration to suggest we could have hit double figures today.

We started at a good tempo, moved the ball well and won it back high up the pitch time and time again. We were ripping eleven men apart, so no surprise it was even worse against ten. Some great performances, with McStay and Goodwillie the standouts. 

Not a bad crowd at all given the opposition, and our Broadwood unbeaten run will now go to a full 11 months.

I couldnt believe the space they gave Goodie and Lamont either. Even in the second half they didnt learn their lesson. Hamill looker a really poor player. 

Glorious viewing watching them allow Goodie to play keepy uppy before firing in his 5th goal!

Yup, definitely a four of Allan-Cummins (Robertson)-Hamill-Smith for Stranraer, though given how ragged they were it's absolutely no surprise that it looked at times like a five, or a three, or even a two when Allan charged forward and Hamill followed Goodwillie around. I've got no idea what Stranraer's midfield was supposed to look like, other than McManus deep and Thomson more advanced; Robertson on the right was crazy stuff, and I'm not sure if the game plan was to flood the middle and ill-discipline led to them being stretched all over the shop. Clyde started like a train and Stranraer actually settled a wee bit after an initial flurry; the red card and penalty came at a really good time for us. I think Love might have made the most of it - the first two penalties both looked a little soft to me on first viewing, but in truth we did deserve to be out of sight, even when it was 11v11.

In recent weeks we've been a lot more rigid than the free-flowing stuff we saw early today, and it was almost as though it caught Stranraer cold. It sounds crazy saying this, but I'm actually a little disappointed with our second half, performance-wise; we really ought to have kept a clean sheet, been a little less sloppy in possession and added a couple more goals than we did. Still, though, 6-1 is a very emphatic win and sets us up nicely for a trio of games we should have designs on winning.

That was good fun! The starting line up was spot on I thought and as expected, we were right out the traps from the off. 

Wasn't sure of it being a red card though but to be fair, they were stinking with 11 on the park. 

Currie stopped that from being double figures today but he didn't half make himself look like a right fanny with his time wasting after 10 minutes today, then his constant raging at officials! He's lucky he didn't get sent off for mouthing at the referee and both linesmen throughout the game nevermind denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. 

"you're just a shite Blair Currie" one of the chants of the season so far 😂😂