UEFA Europa Conference League

RossBFaeDundee

So what do we make of this?

Personally, I think this can get so far to f**k. A clear ploy to cut off the lower-ranked teams from the bigger name teams and disinherits most European nations of not being worthy to play even in the Europa League.

I would've been on board if it was just a 3rd tier competition somewhat akin to the Intertoto Cup or something, but it just feels like it's taking the piss out of the majority of European football. Not a fan whatsoever.

Guest DAVIDB69

I assume it’s to appease the bigger names such as man united and arsenal who could be Europa league regulars and to keep some of the smaller shite out of the Europa and make it more a champions league 2

Scotland would have to reach at least 15th in rankings even to retain 1 club in EL.... otherwise all 3 will be in this Europa Conference abomination... some outlets report Europa Conference games will be played on Thursdays at 3:30pm GMT but surely that can't be right.

Also clubs losing EL qualifiers will drop into the Conference, and runners-up in the Conference groups will have to play-off v EL third-place finishers to reach Last 16.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Unpopular opinion alert.

I think this is a good thing. The horse has long bolted in terms of Scottish teams competing at the top level with teams from big leagues on a regular basis. This gives teams from countries like ours a shot at some meaningful continental football where we might win sometimes. I don't really see what's wrong with that.

People naturally recoil from ideas like this, but for clubs like mine I think this will be pretty good.

It's similar to the way the football community lazily derided the Nations League when it was first announced. I think most would agree that the competition was a success and improved international football's standing generally. Especially for teams at the lower end. I think this competition will have a similar effect.

I'm as much of a curmudgeon as you'll find and I despise what the 'elite' clubs have done to football. But we are where we are and this is a better idea for us than simply plodding along going nowhere against top level sides.

The tournament will be low on traditional glamour, but then the Cup Winners' Cup was often full of absolute shite, which people kind of forget.

I think this'll be good. It'll certainly be an interesting competition for those of us who enjoy football below the top level. Lots of interesting sides to see and the chance of some competitive action and big games for sides who usually get locked out. For me that holds more interest than which of the Walt Disney teams wins the Champions League.

Edited by JTS98

Unpopular opinion alert.
I think this is a good thing. The horse has long bolted in terms of Scottish teams competing at the top level with teams from big leagues on a regular basis. This gives teams from countries like ours a shot at some meaningful continental football where we might win sometimes. I don't really see what's wrong with that.
People naturally recoil from ideas like this, but for clubs like mine I think this will be pretty good.
It's similar to the way the football community lazily derided the Nations League when it was first announced. I think most would agree that the competition was a success and improved international football's standing generally. Especially for teams at the lower end. I think this competition will have a similar effect.
I'm as much of a curmudgeon as you'll find and I despise what the 'elite' clubs have done to football. But we are where we are and this is a better idea for us than simply plodding along going nowhere against top level sides.
The tournament will be low on traditional glamour, but then the Cup Winners' Cup was often full of absolute shite, which people kind of forget.
I think this'll be good. It'll certainly be an interesting competition for those of us who enjoy football below the top level. Lots of interesting sides to see and the chance of some competitive action and big games for sides who usually get locked out. For me that holds more interest than which of the Walt Disney teams wins the Champions League.
I don't think having a 3rd competition is a bad idea. The format and name are not great though.
I think they should have cut it off from the other competitions. At least post group stage anyway. There's too many falling from the competition above to the one below.

14 hours ago, charger29 said:

I don't think having a 3rd competition is a bad idea. The format and name are not great though.
I think they should have cut it off from the other competitions. At least post group stage anyway. There's too many falling from the competition above to the one below.

I agree about the teams dropping down from above. That shouldn't happen in any competition, but here we are.

I think people are getting a bit hysterical about the name in what is purely a UK issue because of the previous name of an obscure English division. Seems a pointless thing to get worked up about.

I think that this is a good thing overall and the criticisms made of it are either systemic problems with football - teams dropping down, or trivial - the name.