Scotland Vs Kazakhstan 19th Nov 2019

Gordopolis

16 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Would you say McArthur is probably the closest we’ve got/had to that role since Brown???

Maybe he has been close to it, but he always lacked the arsehole-isness that Brown had - just that extra bit of niggle that really unsettled opponents. 

16 hours ago, ewan14 said:

McGregor has played against Lazio twice as well as goodness knows how many internationals

Yeah he was very good vs Lazio. That's what I was meaning by 'not good enough to play DM for this side' - he doesn't operate the role half as well in a Scotland XI (leaves too many gaps that perhaps he doesn't have to cover with Celtic). I rate him, but have yet to be impressed by him at international level.

3 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Not a bad 11 from the players available, but unless McGinn has been taken out the back and shot, there’s no way he’s not starting!!!

News just in... 😱

nintchdbpict000003966587.jpg

14 minutes ago, Oleksandr said:

This is nonsense, absolutely nonsense. 

The ticket costs something and that was what was being discussed, why add extras just to trh and prove your point. So say I go and drive to pick up the ticket do we add fuel price on now? Plus more miles on my car means depreciation so we add that? Upto you, mentalist

In fairness you can't avoid paying the booking fees and carriage fees, so broken down it HAS to be included as the ticket price.

52 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Fleck/McGregor/McGinn can all go both ways. We don't need a "defensive midfielder" as a necessity if we have balance between the players in that area of the pitch. Ryan Jack is another who does the same job as those three.

If this campaign has told us anything is that our midfield certainly can't go both ways.   

48 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Fleck/McGregor/McGinn can all go both ways. We don't need a "defensive midfielder" as a necessity if we have balance between the players in that area of the pitch. Ryan Jack is another who does the same job as those three.

We will need to find the best solution for March, I think most would agree that McTominay (outstanding for man united this season) and McGinn (good for Villa and 5 goals in 5 games for Scotland) would be nailed on starters.

We now have a situation where McGregor is a bit more cultured than a Fleck/Jack/McLean but I think he is far too similar to McTom and McGinn, throw in the fact that he has been very poor in most games in this campaign. If we reach that final against Norway or Serbia then we certainly need to be set up better defensively and provide protection for our centre backs who are without doubt the weakest group of CB's Scotland have had in the past 30 years. 

Armstrong really needs to get regular games aswell, offers something completely different.

8 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

We will need to find the best solution for March, I think most would agree that McTominay (outstanding for man united this season) and McGinn (good for Villa and 5 goals in 5 games for Scotland) would be nailed on starters.

We now have a situation where McGregor is a bit more cultured than a Fleck/Jack/McLean but I think he is far too similar to McTom and McGinn, throw in the fact that he has been very poor in most games in this campaign. If we reach that final against Norway or Serbia then we certainly need to be set up better defensively and provide protection for our centre backs who are without doubt the weakest group of CB's Scotland have had in the past 30 years. 

Armstrong really needs to get regular games aswell, offers something completely different.

Christie, given his recent performances for both Scotland and Celtic would also have to be a definite starter imho.

52 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Christie, given his recent performances for both Scotland and Celtic would also have to be a definite starter imho.

Maybe in one of the wider roles. we cant just have 6 forward thinking players ahead of what is a really ropey looking back four, we have been cuffed by Russia, Belgium and Kazakhstan and been troubled by Cyprus playing this way. Also cant see a pragmatic manager like Clarke just saying fack it, we're going gung ho and taking on Norway or Serbia (if we get to final) 

We cant lost sight of these being the biggest set of games in over 20 years.

12 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Maybe in one of the wider roles. we cant just have 6 forward thinking players ahead of what is a really ropey looking back four, we have been cuffed by Russia, Belgium and Kazakhstan and been troubled by Cyprus playing this way. Also cant see a pragmatic manager like Clarke just saying fack it, we're going gung ho and taking on Norway or Serbia (if we get to final) 

We cant lost sight of these being the biggest set of games in over 20 years.

I suppose it's the job of the Manager to play to our strengths and if that means outscoring the opposition by utilising our best players then that's what we should be doing.

I'm not a great fan of filling the team with defensive minded players in order to back up our dodgy defence as I believe the way forward should be to keep the ball and play through the opposition, as with our midfield we should be more than capable of this, but again that's what he gets paid the big bucks for so I'm sure he'll find something that works...........

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I suppose it's the job of the Manager to play to our strengths and if that means outscoring the opposition by utilising our best players then that's what we should be doing.

I'm not a great fan of filling the team with defensive minded players in order to back up our dodgy defence as I believe the way forward should be to keep the ball and play through the opposition, as with our midfield we should be more than capable of this, but again that's what he gets paid the big bucks for so I'm sure he'll find something that works...........

Definitely shouldn't be filling the team but although Norway or Serbia aren't world beaters I don't think we are anywhere near the stage of just opening up and just taking them on. 

I actually thought Jack, McGregor and McGinn worked quite well against Cyprus and I'd like to see them played together for a few matches to see how it develops. With Jack sitting, McGinn getting forward and McGregor doing the stuff in between I think we have a good balance there. Wouldn't be against Fleck starting but we all talk about building momentum and getting a settled team so I hope he'll stick with the same 11 unless any changes are forced.

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Definitely shouldn't be filling the team but although Norway or Serbia aren't world beaters I don't think we are anywhere near the stage of just opening up and just taking them on. 

You're probably right, if we could ever get Tierney fully fit then I wouldn't be against him playing in a sort of sweeper role which would give us some much needed pace and quality at the back but of course getting him (and a few others others) both fit and 100% committed to our cause seems a very long way away just now.........

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Good to see an unchanged team for the first time in god knows how long.

Boozers are dead compared to any other Scotland game I've ever been to. It could be a record low crowd for a competitive game at Hampden.

We’ve had plenty of dead rubbers in recent years...

Don’t worry, there will be plenty of complaints about the TA from those who only attend Saturday summer matches against tier one nations.

2 hours ago, greenockraver said:

we need to at least draw tonight to get third , the russkies possibly facing expulsion on dec 9th. 

Holy shit I was not aware of this until just now, this game suddenly has importance to it now... which always goes well for us.