St Johnstone vs Ross County 29/12/2019

Clash of the shitehawk defences, albeit ours has improved immeasurably since the glorious return of Liam Gordon and the introduction of Callum Booth. 

There's been strong vibes of 2014/15 Saints since the Motherwell disaster which I'm on board with whilst we're still in this precarious position. We've started 2 up top in the last 2 matches but I  think 3 in the middle and 1 up top plays to our strengths much more. I hope we go back to that and try and win the midfield battle on Sunday.

Massive game for both sides. A win for either could put some real daylight between them and the bottom 2 given that Hearts and Hamilton are playing teams in the hunt for Europe.

I wouldn't be shocked if this finished 0-0. For my money, we've been playing not to lose lately which I'm fine with given our early season form and defensive problems. It's also working for us at the moment and we do have players who can finish a chance if one comes along.

Edited by Kyle

16 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

We’ve 16 points from the 10 league games I’ve been at this season, and only 3 from the 8 I’ve not. 

I’m going on Sunday

4FE4FD2D-2867-435B-88B4-2E689FEBD760.gif

I've seen the team pick up 6 points in 7 league games and I will also be in attendance on Sunday. 

Must admit, I thought it was going to be worse than that. Feels worse than that :lol: 

Edited by Kyle

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Clash of the shitehawk defences, albeit ours has improved immeasurably since the glorious return of Liam Gordon and the introduction of Callum Booth. 

There's been strong vibes of 2014/15 Saints since the Motherwell disaster which I'm on board with whilst we're still in this precarious position. We've started 2 up top in the last 2 matches but I  think 3 in the middle and 1 up top plays to our strengths much more. I hope we go back to that and try and win the midfield battle on Sunday.

Massive game for both sides. A win for either could put some real daylight between them and the bottom 2 given that Hearts and Hamilton are playing teams in the hunt for Europe.

I wouldn't be shocked if this finished 0-0. For my money, we've been playing not to lose lately which I'm fine with given our early season form and defensive problems. It's also working for us at the moment and we do have players who can finish a chance if one comes along.

Wouldn't be suicidal with a draw but a win would take an awful lot of pressure off us and put more on County going into the break. 

You are right though that 2 up top with us seems to make hee haw difference, either at the front or the back. Defence 2.0 holds firm with or without the extra CM and we've not got the type or quality of strikers to take advantage. 

Expect County to offer more threat than Hamilton, Stewart is quick but I expect Gordon and Kerr should have the measure of him (although I reckon he'll draw fouls and probably a card from Ralston). If County are scoring I can see it being from a set piece so that worries me slightly.

At the back RC aren't great, that Fontaine fella is an absolute Duffy-esque liability IMO, I'd like to see Matty in the middle behind the strkier to run at him. 

Keep getting itchy to put Tanser back in, but until Booth gives a reason, why change. Ditto Holt, but better to give our own player the game time than the loanee and he's comig of his first goal and there's been no reason to swap him. We probably still need Murray in the middle. Ralston remains a weak link but the fact is we've got 4 clean sheets with him on the team.  Wright because I think despite is flaws this year he's more in tune with Kennedy than MOH is. 

Clark 

Ralston Gordon Kerr Booth

Wright McCann Davidson Wotherspoon

Kennedy

May

Confident 3-0 home. Kennedy, Wotherspoon, Kerr in that order.  Swanson off the bench at 85 minutes to show Ricky Foster his new tatoo of Tommy Wright humping his wife, with Amy giving it the thumbs up. 

Red card Foster, 86 minutes. 

Second worst home form in the league, fwiw.

Not sure what we havent tried yet? Absolutely smashed County in the Cup until the embarrassing collapse, not sure how we set up in Dingwall as I didn't go, but sure it was similar and brought similar performances, but again conceded daft goals.

Third times the charm?

8 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

We've not tried not playing Wallace Duffy yet. 

The stats around him are truly harrowing.

With Duffy - GP: 10 - GC: 26 - Goal conceded every 35 minutes

Without Duffy - GP: 8 - GC: 8 - Goal conceded every 90 minutes

We definitely need at least two defenders in January to keep him miles away from the team.

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure what we havent tried yet? Absolutely smashed County in the Cup until the embarrassing collapse, not sure how we set up in Dingwall as I didn't go, but sure it was similar and brought similar performances, but again conceded daft goals.

Third times the charm?

It was Danny Swanson that did the business in Dingwall, can't see him being an option. 

RC have lots of away draws this year but their only win was via a last minute goal against a 10 man Motherwell. 

Agree our home form stinks, but hopefully we can get on the front foot now with a bit more faith in the defence. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

The stats around him are truly harrowing.

With Duffy - GP: 10 - GC: 26 - Goal conceded every 35 minutes

Without Duffy - GP: 8 - GC: 8 - Goal conceded every 90 minutes

We definitely need at least two defenders in January to keep him miles away from the team.

Either that or a taxi on speed dial. 

Third times the charm?

Starting Hendry and May together? Beyond that we’ve had virtually every other combination out.

I’d like Kennedy back in and probably the midfield five.

Clark
Ralston Kerr Gordon Booth
Wright Holt McCann Davidson Kennedy
May

Possibly chuck Hendry in for Holt to keep the 4-4-2 shape.

I'll be along. Haven't seen county in a few weeks but the feedback from those who have is a wee bit worrying. Hopefully just a sticky patch. 

1-0 Saints in a dull slugfest is my depressing prediction. Historically we have a fucking terrible record at McDiarmid. 

9 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Do County still have players out for this game? Heard the midfield is a bit depleted at the minute, hopefully Saints exploit this, playing 451 changing to 433 when going forward obviously, with Matty running riot, let's get  back to sexy attacking football Saints. 

Yes. 

Gardyne, Draper and Cowie out on long term injuries. 

Vigurs back on bench midweek, doubt he's anywhere near fit, didn't play. 

Erwin late victim to some bug so missed midweek. Surprised if he's back. 

Most of team was down with bug about a week ago, and those that played on Thursday gave it everything so expect a few strains and pains from that. 

Spence had straight red midweek, is that instaban? 

Likely starting lineup similar to motherwell 

Baxter

Kelly Fontaine Morris Foster 

Spittal Henderson Paton Mullin

Stewart McKay

Bench 

Laidlaw, Vigurs, Watson, Graham, Chalmers, Fraser 

Probably Stewart dropping back into 5 man midfield, as without Spence (no monster, but at least he gets stuck in) , that's a pretty lightweight core to the team. 

Clark 
Ralston     Kerr      Gordon   Booth
          Holt     McCann  Davidson 
MOH                                        Kennedy 
                           May

Not a chance O’Halloran is starting after the Hamilton game. Wright did more in the 10 minutes he was on the pitch. It was like playing a man down half the time.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Clark 

Ralston     Kerr      Gordon   Booth

Holt     McCann  Davidson 

MOH                                        Kennedy 

May

I greenied you Tam before I'd noticed you had May up front.  Agree with the team up to there, but not sure who should get the nod a season both Kane and May were fairly ineffective at Accies.

By rights it should be Hendry for making the difference when he came on again, but the worry for him is that he only gets viewed as an impact sub and doesn't get the starts he deserves. I'd start with Hendry, but o don't think Tommy will.

Edited by PauloPerth