Ireland

Crùbag

4 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

As an outsider looking in, and this may have been covered by someone before, surely FF and FG just form a coalition to keep SF out? 

This would be as ridiculous as Westminster denying the SNP and Green mandates for Indyref2. Though of course, the SNP were on 45% of the vote and not 25%...

:whistle

If anyone thinks the rise of SF in the south has anything to do with a united Ireland they are very much mistaken. If a United Ireland happens it happens but there isn't any real appetite for it just now.

This election was a clear message to FF/FG (who are now viewed by most as the same party, different checks of the same arse to use a phrase we know too well in Scotland) that people in Ireland especially the younger generation are sick of their shite. 

The real issues for people in Ireland are housing, crime and health all of which have been neglected by FF/FG through years of austerity, SF have promised to end this, will they is another matter but that's what the people voted on, to give them a chance, I'd have my doubts.

Edited by Bohemian

1 hour ago, Bohemian said:

If anyone thinks the rise of SF in the south has anything to do with a united Ireland they are very much mistaken. If a United Ireland happens it happens but there isn't any real appetite for it just now.

This election was a clear message to FF/FG (who are now viewed by most as the same party, different checks of the same arse to use a phrase we know too well in Scotland) that people in Ireland especially the younger generation are sick of their shite. 

The real issues for people in Ireland are housing, crime and health all of which have been neglected by FF/FG through years of austerity, SF have promised to end this, will they is another matter but that's what the people voted on, to give them a chance, I'd have my doubts.

1 hour ago, Bohemian said:

Plus in a way SF made a balls of this election, if they had of ran more candidates they would of had a landslide win.

Tbf, the lads in the Progressive Unionist Party predicted this years ago. It was never about a United Ireland but getting access to power both sides of the border. Doesn't look so far fetched after this election.

Edited by Tutankhamen
Build the bridge to Scotland

5 hours ago, Bohemian said:

5 hours ago, Bohemian said:

Plus in a way SF made a balls of this election, if they had of ran more candidates they would of had a landslide win.

Kens the score.

8 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Was watching that - the "breaks" were an annoyance.

Younger voters are voting for them for 2 main reasons (one of them is not a united Ireland btw)
1. Change (bored with 2 party system)
2. They can't get on housing ladder or affordable rent.
Of course a united Ireland is a reason but it pales in insignificance compared to the above 2.

[emoji848]

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Sinn Fein don't want to form a coalition with Fianna Fail or Fine Gael, and neither of them want to form a coalition with Sinn Fein. Who'll blink first? Fianna Fail, I reckon.

Yeah very interesting to see where the next government comes from.

In fairness to SF they have said they will talk to anyone about a coalition. They have been one step ahead of the rest and continue to be post election.

FF have said they wont go into government with either FG or SF.

FG have said no chance they will form one with SF and maybe with FF.

So yeah it's a matter of who blinks first and my money would be FF.

Martin would be the only FF leader never to be Taoiseach a legacy I'd say he will do anything to avoid. 

Interesting times. FF/FG definitely dont want another election.

Edited by Bohemian

3 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

In fairness to SF they have said they will talk to anyone about a coalition. They have been one step ahead of the rest and continue to be post election.

Martin would be the only FF leader never to be Taoiseach and legacy I'd say he will do anything to avoid. 

McDonald stated they wouldn't form a coalition with FF or FG so obviously those two parties aren't "anyone".

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

4 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Martin would be the only FF leader never to be Taoiseach and legacy I'd say he will do anything to avoid. 

That's why I think Fianna Fail will blink first - "for the sake of the country", of course.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

McDonald stated they wouldn't form a coalition with FF or FG so obviously those two parties aren't "anyone".

Just seen that. This is a new development, before the election they said they would talk to anyone. They are now in a very strong position so who can blame them, putting the squeeze on FF/FG

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's why I think Fianna Fail will blink first - "for the sake of the country", of course.

Well of course... 😂 everything they do is for the country and it's people.

SF have them by the short and curleys 

Edited by Bohemian

5 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Just seen that. This is a new development, before the election they said they would talk to anyone. They are now in a very strong position so who can blame them, putting the squeeze on FF/FG

Ultimate seats as projected by UCD:
Fianna Fáil 45
Sinn Féin 37
Fine Gael 36
Greens 10
Labour 6
S/PBP 5
SD 5
Ind/other 16

Who are Sinn Fein going to form a coalition with if they don't form one with either of the other two parties?  FF & FG projected to have 81 seats (don't know if that includes The Speaker) so Sinn Fein would need everybody else on board in some shape or form and even then they would never have a majority.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Ultimate seats as projected by UCD:
Fianna Fáil 45
Sinn Féin 37
Fine Gael 36
Greens 10
Labour 6
S/PBP 5
SD 5
Ind/other 16

Who are Sinn Fein going to form a coalition with if they don't form one with either of the other two parties?  FF & FG projected to have 81 seats (don'y know if that includes The Speaker) so Sinn Fein would need everybody else on board in some shape or form and even then they would never have a majority.

Yep, its a bit of a shitshow😂 Not even enough for some sort of left rainbow coalition. That wouldn't last long anyway, pointless. 

Who knows mate, it's all political games now and who blinks first.  

7 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

All 3 have to be very careful what they do and say now because you couldn't rule out another election. 

Fianna Fail and Fine Gael wouldn't want another election as Sinn Fein would play the "oppressed victim" card - at which they are adept - and sweep the board.

All 3 have to be very careful what they do and say now because you couldn't rule out another election. 
This, I'd suggest that SF would be happy if FG and FF refuse to work with them. If so, really think that SF with the right number of candidates would have the highest number of seats in another election.
Another election is likely