Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've always liked wilf self.

I can see why folk hate him though, but he's not in the same ball-park of cuntishness as that francois boy.

I choose to believe his pompous wind bag persona is what led Deborah Orr to divorce him. There’s tweets of hers that suggest that’s the case.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Anyone on here around at the time of the typhoid epidemic in Aberdeen 1964?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26957972

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18309757.tin-corned-beef-caused-aberdeens-1964-typhoid-outbreak/

Typhoid outbreak. Aberdeen. Scotland. 1964. In 1964 there was an ...
Typhoid outbreak. Aberdeen. Scotland. 1964. In 1964 there was an ...

Pictured. Visitors outside Aberdeen City Hospital, they were able to talk to relatives and patients trough open windows. No physical contact, no danger. 1st June 1964.

I was. @kingjoey would be, too. Not sure about @Raidernation anyway I think he was brought up in Sutherlandshire. There are quite a few supporters of other teams who would have been alive back then, just not necessarily living in Aberdeen.

5 hours ago, madwullie said:

I dumped a very pretty lassie once because I couldn't bear to see the size of her arse while we were pumping. Obviously I kept that detail to myself during the fb messenger message I sent her to dump her. Not my finest hour 

And she's here tonight!

michaelaspel5.jpg

Did Will Self not come up with the 'heroin is very moreish' line ? He was also allegedly banging lines of smack on the PM's plane. 

Gets a pass from me for this.

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I choose to believe his pompous wind bag persona is what led Deborah Orr to divorce him. There’s tweets of hers that suggest that’s the case.

I note she resigned from the Guardian when Will got sacked from the Observer for taking heroin in John Major's plane. From her obituary.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/oct/21/deborah-orr-obituary

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Maybe they have agreed a truce and are working on a plan to sort it all out.

That'll be it

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was hoping more murder-suicide tbh.

But that's more satisfying

16 hours ago, beefybake said:

What's been ticking around my head is this.  Johnson goes into hospital, and is given some oxygen. He then goes into intensive care.   3 days later he's up and out the door.

I seem to recall that the death rate of those going into ICU with coronavirus is said to be about 50%..    Given that a stated aim of the actions of government is to prevent

the NHS 'from being overwhelmed', surely there is some kind of  deduction in there  that...

1.   If the ICU death rate from coronavisrus is said to be around 50%, then  a huge number of them must have been more or less at half dead by the time they entered hospital..

2. and following from that,  how culpable is NHS 111,  and local medics,   in not visiting, or refusing to admit people until they are in effect beyond saving ?

I think what I was trying to get at with the above was the question about just how ill you have to be get past NHS 111, and paramedics, to get admitted to hospital.

One of the cases reported some days ago was a guy who, either he , or his family, tried 3 or 4 times to get him admitted to hospital. They said he wasn't ill enough.

Finally, when he was very ill, at home, he went to the toilet and collapsed in there. His son , I think it was, had to kick down the door to get to him. 

He was either dead at that point, or when the paramedics showed up. 

So, if there is , in effect, a barrier erected to admission to hospital, this would be a factor in such a high death rate in ICU units ?

6 hours ago, bendan said:

Stuff like this seems fantastically tinpot to me. We're in a lockdown - what difference does it make if it's a bank holiday? Not having a go at you. Just can't believe what a car crash our reporting of this has been.

In fairness it makes little difference in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately the UK acted too late and has done far too little with regards to testing and tracking the virus.

I also see that although Spain is reopening for business that all workplaces will have their workers temperature checked daily as will commuters.

So Yes, "Tin pot" we certainly are.

8 minutes ago, beefybake said:

I think what I was trying to get at with the above was the question about just how ill you have to be get past NHS 111, and paramedics, to get admitted to hospital.

One of the cases reported some days ago was a guy who, either he , or his family, tried 3 or 4 times to get him admitted to hospital. They said he wasn't ill enough.

Finally, when he was very ill, at home, he went to the toilet and collapsed in there. His son , I think it was, had to kick down the door to get to him. 

So, if there is , in effect, a barrier erected to admission to hospital, this would be a factor in such a high death rate in ICU units ?

The problem from what I have seen first hand is that this is not like a normal disease in that there is a generally slow progression. People when they are going to go downhill do it scarily fast.

Case in point: I’ve seen person in mid 40’s coming in to ED with mild symptoms and no real underlying health issues and being dead in five days.

The clinical picture seems to be days 1-10 to 12 of relatively mild illness, at that kind of 12 day mark people can go downhill terrifyingly rapidly. 

The problem is you don’t want to admit all those who are mildly ill on the basis they may get worse because you’ll run out of beds. Its a no-win situation really. 

8 minutes ago, beefybake said:

My Dad got taken into hospital with Pneumonia (potential Corona) at the end of Feb, they then released him later the same night (due to having no beds available) and packed him off home with some antibiotics even though he was barely conscious and could hardly walk / move. It was no surprise at all when he was readmitted as an emergency two days later and had to spend a week on oxygen and a drip.

Thankfully he did recover (and that was without the cabinet "praying" for him).

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Big rise in non Covid deaths. Are these cases where Covid could be present but this isn’t known or is it caused by medical services being squeezed due to the lockdown.

Or alternatively, people seeking help for strokes or heart attacks too late to do anything about it, as a result of the 'Stay at home' message (and fears about getting COViD19 at hospital. I know a few medical professionals in my line of work and they've said that admissions for non COViD life threatening illnesses have gone down in the last month. 

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

next question - without knowing the local lingo what's the quickest way to communicate 'i'm not a missionary'

I somehow doubt you'll manage to get close enough to communicate with them :whistle

I like this review of the place though

2 months ago
(Translated by Google) Very pleasant place, hospitable and welcoming people, I want to return soon, but I am still recovering from injuries

:lol:

Edited by greendot