Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, that's probably fair. No danger they'll be 'donating' to the EU anyway :lol:

I wouldn't be against flogging some to RoI seeing as we have a CTA with them.  Depending on what vaccines we have a surplus of that might break the EU's own procurement rules though.  That would be comical if it did come about.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

When you say distribute, are we donating them or are we selling them?

Auction them, it's a seller's market. We could get more than we paid and clear our debt...everybody's happy.

Except for the impoverished and the EU, but they never are.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I agree with the points about politicians in the EU, but lets remind ourselves that Matt Hancock bought more vaccines than we required because he watched the movie Contagion, not because he's some sort of genius planner. I'm wary of heaping praise on the government when that's the justification for hoarding vaccines. 

Aye im not accusing the boy of being a strategic genius or anything, but their policy of ‘just buy lots of everything and at whatever price they ask’ has unsurprisingly worked. 

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Positive news like that could see maybe 300 of us in a football ground by October and maybe allowed to go to the pub for a few hours.  Even better you can take a flight if you earn over 250k by next Spring.   

Watch out for those perky variants though and if we end up with 5000 cases and nobody in hospital then we lockdown.  Stay safe, we don't know what's coming next...

There will be 50 people at the first Edinburgh derby next season. Those poor souls. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Aye im not accusing the boy of being a strategic genius or anything, but their policy of ‘just buy lots of everything and at whatever price they ask’ has unsurprisingly worked. 

Its actually the one area, aside from maybe furlough, where the reaction has been commensurate with the issue. No holds barred, steam in and throw everything at it. 

The return to small time comes shortly thereafter when we started mewling about how vaccines are just one tool, aren't the way out of this bla bla bla

16 hours ago, Snafu said:

They are letting you out early on good behaviour?

Fortunately my performance in school helped me avoid that result quite a few times in my younger days, I'd probably be a career criminal if I had been poor at school and didn't have a very good social worker and lawyer on my side, both women and worth every penny they ever earned. 

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Its actually the one area, aside from maybe furlough, where the reaction has been commensurate with the issue. No holds barred, steam in and throw everything at it. 

The return to small time comes shortly thereafter when we started mewling about how vaccines are just one tool, aren't the way out of this bla bla bla

Edited: It isn't a paper, it's an article in the FT.

https://www.ft.com/content/20096b0a-8a94-453d-8788-c3b15dc1704c

Edited by ICTChris

15 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Tried to find data on hospital & ICU capacity in Chile but struggling. Essentially if it’s just rising case numbers, with little impact on hospital and ICU data then it’s actually great news. If it is impacting on them negatively then it’s pretty disastrous.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Tried to find data on hospital & ICU capacity in Chile but struggling. Essentially if it’s just rising case numbers, with little impact on hospital and ICU data then it’s actually great news. If it is impacting on them negatively then it’s pretty disastrous.

No hospital data here, but it doesn't look to be having much of an impact on deaths, so far anyway.

Screenshot_20210330-121549_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210330-121602_Opera.jpg

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No surprise - you do realise that was why Cummings went there?

The agreement with GlaxoSmithKline was signed 2 days after his visit.

Likely I’m being an idiot here but if that’s why he went there, why wouldn’t the government just come out and say it to avoid the clusterfuck that came out of the whole episode? 

If they’d said “yes I drove to Barnard Castle... to get ahead and sign a deal to get us vaccinations which will be produced here in the hope that we can end this ASAP” surely that would have been well received?

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No surprise - you do realise that was why Cummings went there?

The agreement with GlaxoSmithKline was signed 2 days after his visit.

If that was the case wouldn't they have stated he was there for legitimate purposes?  Still no reason to take his family but a lot better than the isolated farm nonsense he came out with.

45 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It was the only sensible option, tbf. 

If we were selective I wouldn't have been surprised for us to go with AZ (which works) and also GSK/Sanofi given the British credentials in that partnership. The latter was, of course, a failure, and I do wonder if French lobbying has partly screwed the EU in that regard. 

Notable that Sanofi and now GSK as well have turned their attentions to producing the more effective vaccines under licence. 

1 minute ago, davidkennedyshand said:

This is JUST a warning not to ease restrictions too quickly while cases are still relatively high. Chile have currently vaccinated a similar percentage to the UK  but they've only done that in the last fortnight, they only started in Feb, and at the same time, the level of infections in Chile were fairly constant at just under 200 cases per million and they started to rise at the end of Feb and have continued to do so (now at over 300 per million).

Whereas in the UK, we started vaccinations when our cases were on a downward trend and the vaccinations have only helped that downward trend, and although they are levelling off now, they are at a far lower level, roughly 70-90 per million. A lot lower than in Chile, and all our figures point to more similarities with Israel (though they've obviously vaccinated a far higher number).