Coronavirus (COVID-19)

35 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Learning to ride a bike and coping with anxiety is not the same thing.

We aren't talking about "people with anxiety" though. We are talking about the equivalent of people scared to go down the big slide in CoCo's because they've been told if they do they and their family will die.

Just now, Michael W said:

8 days to go. Wonder what else they're going to shit it on. 

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised to see freedom Day only happen for those that are double jagged and then maybe even triple jagged or flu jagged in the Autumn. Not a surprise but it's frustrating to see them blowing about like a kite in the wind.

As for when restrictions can get chucked I would be happy for 75% of the total population vaccinated to get rid of all restrictions. We must be about there, but think restrictions should be eased to stimulate the economy so social distancing before masks imo.

Just now, ICTChris said:

I thought I was quite the swaggering double vaccinated invincible but now I am currently in hospital for unrelated Covid reasons and if any other patient comes within twenty metres of me I’m going to crack them with a bedpan, superspreading bed blocker c***s.

Hope you're better soon! 

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
19 minutes ago, 101 said:
Last week it was a personal choice with Rab Jenwick and others saying they wouldn't bother now it's "expected". Bunch of charlatans.

Quite. No way any cabinet minister can be seen in an indoor setting minus mask after a statement like that. Jenrick will be fuming !

Boris to resign after sitting in his motor without a mask? ;)

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Come on, what threshold should we drop restrictions? Initially we were told it was to ‘protect the vulnerable’ theyre all fully jagged, then it was ‘until most people have two jags’ that rhetoric is shifting to ‘approve it for kids and wait until everyone is jagged’ and even then many still want controls to remain in place indefinitely? 
Im genuinely genuinely keen to know at what stage you want this to stop? 

It was protect the NHS, save lives or something like that. 

If hospital workers are keen to do the overtime then there is some wiggle room there.

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised to see freedom Day only happen for those that are double jagged and then maybe even triple jagged or flu jagged in the Autumn. Not a surprise but it's frustrating to see them blowing about like a kite in the wind.

As for when restrictions can get chucked I would be happy for 75% of the total population vaccinated to get rid of all restrictions. We must be about there, but think restrictions should be eased to stimulate the economy so social distancing before masks imo.

Ok, pretty sure given the proportion of the population you highlight then that you’ll be happy enough to have restrictions well into next year as this would require a number of people under 18 to be vaccinated too? Even then no way would they relax things in flu season. Appreciate someone actually coming out and saying what they’d be comfortable with, but theres a level of risk associated with any outcome. 
Read a report the other day of childrens immune systems being compromised because they arent being exposed to the bugs that cause wee sniffles and colds through mixing with others and close contact at schools etc too. Is it RSV?
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-weather-health-39121817e8472d182d15ed5facf0e076

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/rsv-covid-infants-hospitals-england-b1873561.html

Causing quite harmful disease in kids who it normally wouldnt? Yet you’ve got people genuinely coming out in the papers from academia and the essence of their message is ‘wont someone think of the children’ with regards long covid (Yet apparently its disrespectful to label them Lovejoys?). 

Vaccination rates absolutely no where near where they should be in Scotland, the government is failing yet people are lining up to say ‘give us restrictions’ without questioning their failure? Doesnt anyone actually see how fucked up that is? The economic cost? The unnecessary deaths because other illnesses are not being identified/treated? The social cost to young people and old in varying ways through missing key life events/experiences and milestones? Why no clear plan for recovery? Need investment in encouraging this recovery to get people outside, playing sport etc yet there’s Scotland’s biggest (and snp controlled council) shedding 500 jobs and closing significant leisure and cultural services. The impact of this is going to be felt for generations. Yes covid is dangerous, its flippant to say otherwise, but the actual implications of these measures is imo going to (and already) causing a similar level of harm. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

30 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The New Normal is coming. 

20210711_120359.jpg

Where would the sense in that be? Young folk not double dosed yet can go to pubs and restaurants just now without having to show anything. Why the need for them to do so 3 months down the line? Scaremongering pish 

22 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Come on, what threshold should we drop restrictions? Initially we were told it was to ‘protect the vulnerable’ theyre all fully jagged, then it was ‘until most people have two jags’ that rhetoric is shifting to ‘approve it for kids and wait until everyone is jagged’ and even then many still want controls to remain in place indefinitely? 
Im genuinely genuinely keen to know at what stage you want this to stop? 

Lovejoy enablers. Who makes up that shit? 

Anyway to answer your question. Lift all restrictions. As someone who has worked in a supermarket I am past the stage of social distancing and mask wearing, and so are the public. So let's get life back. I wanted this to stop ages ago. I'm a selfish p***k that way. I'm guessing this is what you didn't expect to hear ? 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Where would the sense in that be? Young folk not double dosed yet can go to pubs and restaurants just now without having to show anything. Why the need for them to do so 3 months down the line? Scaremongering pish 

Every newspaper ran the story this weekend so the government clearly want the story out there. 

As I have said before i don't think the government have any genuine interest in who is going where it's all about establishing Digital ID as a step towards cashless society/digital currency. 

2 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Anyway to answer your question. Lift all restrictions. As someone who has worked in a supermarket I am past the stage of social distancing and mask wearing, and so are the public. So let's get life back. I wanted this to stop ages ago. I'm a selfish p***k that way. I'm guessing this is what you didn't expect to hear ? 

Well the etymology of the term dates back centuries. No one clearly knows. 
Im delighted to hear your views, also keen for the lovejoys to come out and tell us their criteria. 
Like i referred to in my earlier post the scaremongering has now reached people writing articles in the papers saying ‘wont someone think of the children’ re covid restrictions, so if you can think of a better term for that level of scaremongering besides a well known cartoon character who’s catchphrase is ‘wont someone think of the children’ then absolutely batter in and we’ll use that instead. 

Just now, Robin.Hood said:

That's the point, according to opinion polls they don't seem to be. The government can't be seen to be too far ahead of public opinion which is why they're changing their message, IMO BJs message of "if not now when?" was woefully inadequate especially when placed against Javid (?) saying cases (in the UK) might well exceed 100k per day.

52 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Do any of the lovejoy enablers wish to tell us exactly what conditions they’d support a removal of restrictions in? 

The only specific condition I've seen people state is 80% of the population double vaccinated or whatever the figure is for getting herd immunity. I don't really have a take on how reasonable that is because I haven't a clue tbh! I can see why folk are apprehensive about July 19th because the Tories, regardless of whether it's time or not, manage to sound like cartoon villains when selling the benefits of restrictions ending.

I'm not personally apprehensive either, I'm hoping to be out clubbing by the 25th but can appreciate why folk still feel uneasy.

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

also keen for the lovejoys to come out and tell us their criteria. 

Why? More likes ? Bored ? Like virginton I know I got shot down for mentioning my work (I'd love to say I gave a f**k ) but end of the day that's all I can go on or what I see when I'm out and about ( that has been very remote through choice).  Losing taste n smell n being ill has been shite however. Getting my taste n smell back id like back , the sore head I can do without. I look forward to going back to work however, stuck in house has been tough going. Feel for those who have had too a lot longer than I have had too. 

Just now, Robin.Hood said:

Why? More likes ? Bored ? Like virginton I know I got shot down for mentioning my work (I'd love to say I gave a f**k ) but end of the day that's all I can go on or what I see when I'm out and about ( that has been very remote through choice).  Losing taste n smell n being ill has been shite however. Getting my taste n smell back id like back , the sore head I can do without. I look forward to going back to work however, stuck in house has been tough going. Feel for those who have had too a lot longer than I have had too. 

More likes? Wit? You 14 or something?

Bored? Absolutely bored out my nut, because for the last 18months ive been essentially unable to do much. 

Well because they seem keen to retain restrictions every single time a significant issue is shown to be a non-issue, shifting goalposts if you will. 

Also its a discussion that they seem keen to avoid? So instead of telling us how horrible we are for wanting things to end in August, tell us when? Only fair is it not?

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ok, pretty sure given the proportion of the population you highlight then that you’ll be happy enough to have restrictions well into next year as this would require a number of people under 18 to be vaccinated too? Even then no way would they relax things in flu season. Appreciate someone actually coming out and saying what they’d be comfortable with, but theres a level of risk associated with any outcome. 
Read a report the other day of childrens immune systems being compromised because they arent being exposed to the bugs that cause wee sniffles and colds through mixing with others and close contact at schools etc too. Is it RSV?
https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-weather-health-39121817e8472d182d15ed5facf0e076

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/rsv-covid-infants-hospitals-england-b1873561.html

Causing quite harmful disease in kids who it normally wouldnt? Yet you’ve got people genuinely coming out in the papers from academia and the essence of their message is ‘wont someone think of the children’ with regards long covid (Yet apparently its disrespectful to label them Lovejoys?). 

Vaccination rates absolutely no where near where they should be in Scotland, the government is failing yet people are lining up to say ‘give us restrictions’ without questioning their failure? Doesnt anyone actually see how fucked up that is? The economic cost? The unnecessary deaths because other illnesses are not being identified/treated? The social cost to young people and old in varying ways through missing key life events/experiences and milestones? Why no clear plan for recovery? Need investment in encouraging this recovery to get people outside, playing sport etc yet there’s Scotland’s biggest (and snp controlled council) shedding 500 jobs and closing significant leisure and cultural services. The impact of this is going to be felt for generations. Yes covid is dangerous, its flippant to say otherwise, but the actual implications of these measures is imo going to (and already) causing a similar level of harm. 

Firstly I think restrictions will be here into next year even in the most liberal countries. 

I'm not 100% sure of the numbers but yes I would imagine that some U18s would have to get to 75%, 80% of the population that can actually get the vaccine would also be acceptable imo to remove all restrictions, I think it's been cleared for 12 and over but not sure if the JVCI are recommending it yet so hopefully some clarity is brought there soon.

I don't have children but agree that sanitising every surface all the time is not normal behaviour and not even needed now we know transmission from hard surfaces is almost nonexistent. Of course there were parents who did this before but places like schools and other play settings for kids should be back to normal.

People are naturally worried about their children but it's, in my opinion, being taken by the media as the latest scare story to generate clicks. The sooner research can reassure parents and quash the stories the better.

Like you say vaccination rates aren't where we need/ want them to be I blame in part arbitrator dates for reopening rather than stats and the key stat should be % of population vaccinate imo.

Protecting the NHS is a result of political failure in my opinion a developed country like ours should have the staff and resources to deal with pandemics, I get that that level of spending required might not be popular but in terms of bringing down treatment time in normal times I think it's essential.

I think the recovery plan is coming certainly hope it focuses on making the country healthier and greener as corner stones to any plan.

Disappointing to hear they are closing sports facilities in Edinburgh that really is counter intuitive on the other hand Edinburgh council are trying to make it easier to use active travel around the city albeit with their usual success rates. Active travel also doesn't counter the need for good facilities are reasonable rates or ideally free by the way I was just highlighting they clearly do want to reduce emissions and promote a healthier lifestyle, just appear to have run backwards and taken a hop forwards.

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The only specific condition I've seen people state is 80% of the population double vaccinated or whatever the figure is for getting herd immunity. I don't really have a take on how reasonable that is because I haven't a clue tbh! I can see why folk are apprehensive about July 19th because the Tories, regardless of whether it's time or not, manage to sound like cartoon villains when selling the benefits of restrictions ending.

I'm not personally apprehensive either, I'm hoping to be out clubbing by the 25th but can appreciate why folk still feel uneasy.

I can absolutely see the apprehension too, i mean we’ve had messaging for the past 18 months saying you’re going to kill everyone if you do this or that so its hard to flip that switch and I personally think the UK and Scottish Governments have done an absolutely appalling job of trying to change that thinking. They clearly need to retain some measures and should come out and tell us what they will be. I think we could be waiting some time to reach 80% of population, 80-90% of adult population is doable by september, but in Scotland only if the government gets it’s finger out. 

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

More likes? Wit? You 14 or something?

Bored? Absolutely bored out my nut, because for the last 18months ive been essentially unable to do much. 

Well because they seem keen to retain restrictions every single time a significant issue is shown to be a non-issue, shifting goalposts if you will. 

Also its a discussion that they seem keen to avoid? So instead of telling us how horrible we are for wanting things to end in August, tell us when? Only fair is it not?

That will be all. Just more drivel. Have a good day. Plenty to be doing. ( not me I'm in isolation). 

Edited by Robin.Hood

I want all restrictions lifted.
But I have no time for anti vaxxers or lazy selfish it's not going to be my problem non vaxxed.
Strangely I have not come across even a single one of the latter but they clearly are out there.
Currently anyone that chooses to be non vaxxed by default causes me more chance of having to self isolate.
Constant Self isolation is of more concern to me than the Virus.

So I'm open minded to the best way of getting these categories jabbed. Free hookers or whatever it takes.
I suspect opening up foreign travel for the vaxxed as per England, will help get them through the doors.

35 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Every newspaper ran the story this weekend so the government clearly want the story out there. 

As I have said before i don't think the government have any genuine interest in who is going where it's all about establishing Digital ID as a step towards cashless society/digital currency. 

The govt said last week they wont be a legal requirement. I know they love a uturn but even for them that would be quick as fck for changing their mind.