Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, superbigal said:

So the new at home treatment for  Covid sufferers costs £500 per course.

Doubt they will be handed out like sweeties.

Depends. What is the cost benefit of this versus being monitored in hospital for a few days?

4 hours ago, Meldrew said:

so i presume the booster will be added to your passport and if its still required to have one, you'll need to have had a booster to gain entry to events in late winter/early spring ?

It won’t be added right away. NHS inform Q&A says
Only your first and second dose will show on the app, even if you've had a third or booster dose. Boosters are not required for international travel or domestic use (in Scotland), so are not currently included in the COVID Status app or paper copy.

Of course, it might be added in the future if the domestic regulations change or other countries require it.  
Covid status Q&A

5 minutes ago, Flash said:

It won’t be added right away. NHS inform Q&A says
Only your first and second dose will show on the app, even if you've had a third or booster dose. Boosters are not required for international travel or domestic use (in Scotland), so are not currently included in the COVID Status app or paper copy.

Of course, it might be added in the future if the domestic regulations change or other countries require it.  
Covid status Q&A

Israel are already demanding proof of a booster if your second jag was more than 180 days ago. 

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Depends. What is the cost benefit of this versus being monitored in hospital for a few days?

Maybe they're concerned about the hypochondriac psychos overdosing.

Just now, Elixir said:

Maybe they're concerned about the hypochondriac psychos overdosing.

Reading it it comes across as being an option for symptomatic CEV people who test positive, rather than every facebook maw who gets a cold.

30 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As only 1 in x untreated may end up in hospital anyway it is an interesting development/calculation.

Booster vaccines much cheaper certainly.

Good luck to those prescribing.

Edited by superbigal

43 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I of course realise that people's experiences will be different across the country, but sometimes I wonder if problems with getting appointments are exaggerated.  I phoned our GP practice on Monday - nothing serious - to ask about a condition that I knew about as I'd had it before (no, calm down!) l thought I might just go to the pharmacist but didn't know if what I needed was available over the counter so I phoned to check. They operate a kind of triage system, presumably to direct callers to more appropriate services (and to filter out nutters).

I had an appointment with a GP 3 hours later, got a prescription and was home with it an hour later. 

I've posted this as if folk only post when they're unhappy, some might assume that these cases are representative  of the general picture.  Our service from our local surgery has been fine over the Covid period. 

Do you think your satisfaction might be to do with the fact that you basically just asked for a repeat prescription rather than requiring any difficult diagnosing?

19 minutes ago, Left Back said:

42,000 reported errors in vaccination status.  Could be higher as it doesn't include data for when it has been an easy fix for someone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59158018

The Scottish Government continues to cause embarrassment, then.

Also, how can you look at a picture like this and not cringe at the ridiculousness of it:

_121112833_passport.jpg

Edited by Elixir

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

42,000 reported errors in vaccination status.  Could be higher as it doesn't include data for when it has been an easy fix for someone.

I mentioned at the time but this happened to me. Unlike this guy, however, it got sorted pretty quickly.

ETA that was in May i called to sort it so before any of those 42,000

Edited by Todd_is_God

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Going to a nightclub is one thing, what happens if you've spent money on something like a season ticket, gigs, holidays, and you can't use the vaccine passport, and can't get refunds?

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Do you think your satisfaction might be to do with the fact that you basically just asked for a repeat prescription rather than requiring any difficult diagnosing?

No, it wasn't a repeat prescription.  I last needed the item in 2017.  (There is an online repeat prescription service which our family use due to long term health issues.) 

When I was in the surgery, the Doc explained that the condition is similar to a number of others, so he wanted to be sure the correct treatment was given. 

Your point is a fair one though.  Perhaps the triage system should have been brought in years ago and be used by all GPs now, if it isn't already.  Certainly as far as A&E is concerned, there seems to be calls (quite rightly IMO) that folk should think carefully about using the emergency service unless it's actually necessary.  Maybe the Health Boards should publish stats on the number of folk who turn up who should be told to eff off and get an elastoplast. 

22 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Going to a nightclub is one thing, what happens if you've spent money on something like a season ticket, gigs, holidays, and you can't use the vaccine passport, and can't get refunds?

Especially when, in this type of instance, the usual retort of "buy a printer and carry a paper copy" isn't an option.

42,000 is 1.1% of the total number of people with at least 2 doses. In other words, more than 1 in every 100 people would, without going out their way to sit on the phone for about 20 mins+ to chase it up, be unable to access their vaccine passport, despite being eligible.

That's really quite poor.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You should check your GP's website if they have one, ours said to phone in and book one along with the flu jag rather than wait for a letter. 

Thanks for this.

Sadly on my checking my GP's website it's made clear that boosters/flu jab delivery is not their remit and that I'lll be contacted by letter by the Health Board.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

That will be the reasoning for extending their use. 

Extending the use of something that isn't working in the hope that when case rates eventually fall naturally they can point to them having been a success does indeed sound exactly like something the SNP would do.

It really must irk them that they can't do anything to make masks look like they work.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Sadly on my checking my GP's website it's made clear that boosters/flu jab delivery is not their remit and that I'lll be contacted by letter by the Health Board.

That part is absolutely true.

I don't know if any of these categories apply to you, however it does look like the wheels are in motion at least to allow online booking.

Book a flu or coronavirus booster vaccination | The flu vaccine (nhsinform.scot)

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Extending the use of something that isn't working in the hope that when case rates eventually fall naturally they can point to them having been a success does indeed sound exactly like something the SNP would do.

It really must irk them that they can't do anything to make masks look like they work.

As much as I like to criticise the SNP they are just doing the same as every western government.