Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, D.V.T. said:

I booked my booster jab for next Wednesday. So the system still has the booster as a six month gap. If that’s not updated by next week do you think the folk there will be officious and tell me to bolt, or will they will know the advice is now 3 months and not give a shit and I get boosted?

Might depend how 'early' you are for your booster? I know someone who's already had theirs a couple of weeks early, but that was while they were at a lettered appointment for a flu jag. If it's not until next week, since they're changing the rules to all adults and minimum 3 months, and since you're there with a booked appointment, pretty unlikely they'll not just give you it.

Thinking on the news of this omicron variant I still can’t understand what was the massive trigger that caused Boris to shit the bed and go public with a presser on Sunday night.
I then can’t understand what prompted Nicola to go rubbing her nose in his shitty bed while doubling down on also demanding extra travel restrictions and a cobra meeting about it. 
Are we missing something or are they just bigging up their own self importance as they go along? 
Boris went cautious just in case, Nicola cares more.

The level of restrictions between Scotland and England are interchangeable. Neither country has been consistently more restrictive than the other and a lot of the time it comes down to spin and the way politicians word the restrictions being enforced at the time. The SNP have positioned themselves as the party tough on dealing with Covid, so the rhetoric they use has to fall into line with that position. Where as the tories are using rhetoric to suggest that they're being less restrictive than that wicked authoritarian party in Scotland. But when you look beyond all the chin wagging and see the policies for what they actually are, neither country has really done anything all that different. 
You're kidding yes? England has been pretty much back to normal since mid July.

1 minute ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
2 minutes ago, CheeseBurger said:
The level of restrictions between Scotland and England are interchangeable. Neither country has been consistently more restrictive than the other and a lot of the time it comes down to spin and the way politicians word the restrictions being enforced at the time. The SNP have positioned themselves as the party tough on dealing with Covid, so the rhetoric they use has to fall into line with that position. Where as the tories are using rhetoric to suggest that they're being less restrictive than that wicked authoritarian party in Scotland. But when you look beyond all the chin wagging and see the policies for what they actually are, neither country has really done anything all that different. 

You're kidding yes? England has been pretty much back to normal since mid July.

Beggars belief that anyone can genuinely think the restrictions in England and Scotland have been the same for some time.

They are lying to themselves at best.

13 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Thinking on the news of this omicron variant I still can’t understand what was the massive trigger that caused Boris to shit the bed and go public with a presser on Sunday night.

I then can’t understand what prompted Nicola to go rubbing her nose in his shitty bed while doubling down on also demanding extra travel restrictions and a cobra meeting about it. 

Are we missing something or are they just bigging up their own self importance as they go along? 

Johnson has shat himself because of what happened with the Delta variant. The cynic in me thinks as well that he was quite keen to reintroduce restrictions particularly on travel, or at least he wasn't really bothered about removing in the first place without being bounced into it. He can reintroduce some measures now in response to this without looking like the bad guy.

Sturgeon's need to show she cares more prompted her increased proposal. 

That's about it, really. Neither ought to worry about being bad cop because restrictions (expecially with travel) are perversely popular.

26 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

You've taken that metaphor significantly too far.

24 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Don't you think it's possible that both of them thought that a new version of covid with more mutations than ever seen before might be worth worrying about until more is known? Plus Boris wasn't in the middle of negotiating a trade deal with South Africa as he was with India when Delta emerged.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
5 minutes ago, CheeseBurger said:
You're not even close. The political rhetoric may imply that they're back to normal, but this couldn't be further from the truth. 

I was in CenterParcs in July and a couple of weeks ago, it was pretty normal to me.

If you tried to take in an EPL game without a vaccine passport you might have got a different impression.

1 hour ago, KingswellsRed said:

I am unlikely to vote for the SNP again. Everything from refusing to remove all restrictions in the summer to just the general tone in which they speak to the public has caused irreversible damage as far as I am concerned. The political decisions on Covid have been by far the most important to me in my lifetime and I don’t think I will be able to forget what I have seen.

I cancelled my membership in August after they refused to remove all remaining restrictions and like yourself unlikely to vote for them again. 

4 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
6 minutes ago, CheeseBurger said:
Beyond the rhetoric, what is the major difference in the actual policies? 

No vaccine passports is a major difference for one

How often have you needed one in Scotland?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Moderna boy clearly trying to cash in on the boosters earlier.

1 hour ago, CheeseBurger said:

Assuming this a troll account, tbf.

London in October was a different universe compared to what Edinburgh has been like ever since March 2020.