Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Interesting thread on the severity of Omicron.

I hope this guy is right.

Omicron - Let it rip! 

4 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

We were at the Birkhill Inn for lunch today. It was absolutely fucking rammed. Glorious.

I was at Behind The Wall in Falkirk last night. Was pretty busy. No c**t wearing a mask.

4 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

We were at the Birkhill Inn for lunch today. It was absolutely fucking rammed. Glorious.

I’m loving this. 

Struggling to tie it in with “hospitality is dead”, but I’m sure I’ll be told why what you’re saying is nonsense. 

7 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

I’m loving this. 

Struggling to tie it in with “hospitality is dead”, but I’m sure I’ll be told why what you’re saying is nonsense. 

That's because you're thick as mince.

16 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

"I can confirm to you this morning there are cases in hospital with Omicron" - Na***** Zahawi. 

It certainly took long enough considering we're about to have a million cases a day (lol). Folk in with a broken arm have the Omicron.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Also cases could literally mean 2. 

Absolutely. Two footballers could've broken their leg yesterday and tested positive on admittance. Likewise it could be hundreds of admissions, all solely due to the impact of Omicron...

But I feel like, if that was the case, then Zahawi would probably make a point of highlighting it.

43 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Cleverly worded. "With Omicron" not "due to Omicron".

Like the boy on this video says about cases in hospital with Omicron.

South Africa says no signal of increased Omicron severity yet | Reuters

You have to search pretty hard to find anything that isn't screaming headlines about a 'possible' 75,000 deaths in the UK from Omicron variant though.

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Like the boy on this video says about cases in hospital with Omicron.

South Africa says no signal of increased Omicron severity yet | Reuters

You have to search pretty hard to find anything that isn't screaming headlines about a 'possible' 75,000 deaths in the UK from Omicron variant though.

"Preliminary data does suggest that while there is increasing rate of hospitalisation ... it looks like it is purely because of the numbers rather than as a result of any severity of the variant itself, this Omicron," he said.

Cannot imagine a health minister over here saying something like this. 

Is that not KINDA what they are saying? I totally think they’re blowing it out of proportion in terms of WE JUST DONT KNOW!!! but they do seem to be caveating their thoughts that even if it’s not as severe, the sheer weight of numbers on top of all the usual pressures and bed blocking is what would be the issue.

Again, I’m not saying it’s right and a better plan would be to properly fund the nhs and have the capacity for a winter surge (as happens every year).

Zahawi this morning saying a person double jabbed with AZ has only 25% protection against severe illness with Omicron. Is it that poor ???

Symptomatic illness is what the study was being reported as, they don’t have the data for severe illness yet.

Although another excellent job at torpedoing the vaccines if that’s what he did say.

Symptomatic illness is what the study was being reported as, they don’t have the data for severe illness yet.

Although another excellent job at torpedoing the vaccines if that’s what he did say.
I was half asleep but it was definitely 25% against some sort of illness. That's the good old Oxford vaccine of course but I see it's simply AZ now when it's been found to be the least effective on the market.

24 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Cannot imagine a health minister over here saying something like this. 

I can imagine and remember the FM making this point on Friday, if that helps?

In between all her "waffling and loving this" of course. 

But the overall impact point here is that even if a smaller percentage of people overall than is the case for Delta require hospital treatment, a small percentage – and a smaller percentage - of a bigger number will result in a massive number of cases who might need hospital care.

And given the volume of people who could be infected by Omicron because of its greater transmissibility, even if most of those cases are mild, the number of cases of serious illness amongst those infections will put massive strain on the ability of the NHS to cope.

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Zahavi basically said the same this morning. I took the above comment as fiendish sarcasm, but I could be wrong...

16 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Without any idea what that "smaller percentage" is, though, then it is just waffle.

To have an impact it also requires that cases will continue to grow over an extended period which A - hasn't happened in S.A. and B - just doesn't happen anyway (as shown by previous waves).

26 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Is that not KINDA what they are saying? I totally think they’re blowing it out of proportion in terms of WE JUST DONT KNOW!!! but they do seem to be caveating their thoughts that even if it’s not as severe, the sheer weight of numbers on top of all the usual pressures and bed blocking is what would be the issue.

Again, I’m not saying it’s right and a better plan would be to properly fund the nhs and have the capacity for a winter surge (as happens every year).

The issue will be the numbers forced to isolate with negative tests or no symptoms. If everyone follows that advice, given the rate of transmission, we'll be shut down in about a week.