Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Wilko have staff at the entrance asking everyone entering exactly what they are looking for. I've see a few not getting past the door.

There really should, at this point, be no one going to a shop without a clear idea of what it is they are going to buy and how to find it rapidly and get out. That said, I pissed away about 9 or 10 unnecessary minutes in Morrisons yesterday as I had mistimed my landing run on the beer aisle for 10am

56 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Can't believe this flat earth stuff is still going on

You'd be surprised.  I seem to recall something from the website

of the Flat Earth Society that described how popular they were,

and that they had many members all round the world.

Before all this I had thought that the future of shopping might be just a giant click and collect warehouse that deals with parcels and groceries.

There is an interest from supermarkets in getting people in store in browsing though because they usually always move the milk or bread areas so you walk past other items. 9/10 they are usually at the back of the store.

Shops could have an essentials section to make it easier, like a bundle. The big Asda near me is shit because you have about 100 options of everything spread out randomly over different aisles.
e.g. orange juice, shit they only have the big cartons. Might as well just get one...two aisles later normal size. Annoying and time consuming.

Online click and collect or delivery saves me about an hour a week and lots of money. Not sure I could go back to unorganised supermarket sweep type shopping.

I’ve posted this before but I work for a satellite broadcasting company and one of my ex colleagues is a flat earther. You could literally go and look at the satellites orbiting the Earth on some monitors but this made no difference.

The mask is slipping.  You're obviously a right-wing shill. 
When I see an explanation of why both Operation Cygnus and it’s findings where treated with contempt I’ll maybe be willing to listen to the politicians with a bit more conviction.
Yeah the “we all have to take responsibility for our own lives” is the mantra of the right-wing zealot.
It ignores the reality that some/many people don’t/wont act responsibly and that such actions will impact upon others.  In such situations we need policies that direct and, as far is as possible, enforce people’s actions.

The fact that you think gordonef is being right wrong is insane. He's one of the most rational and reasoned posters on the site - and has been spot on in this thread.

Far too many people are misjudging the very real consequences of sustained lockdown. Folk think they're being 'left wing' and right wing but i genuinely think that's an absurd accusation when dealing with a crisis like this.

The social and economic consequences will be very, very real.

I was listening to folk explain the impact on dementia sufferers, and it was horribly cruel. Add that to the effects on people with incurable conditions and folk not being able to see loved ones in care homes and you've got some severe situations.

Just keeping lockdown until we have a treatment or vaccine is not an option. We need to sort out the testing and isolating obviously, but we also need to find a way to manage the risks that will continue to exist.

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’ve posted this before but I work for a satellite broadcasting company and one of my ex colleagues is a flat earther. You could literally go and look at the satellites orbiting the Earth on some monitors but this made no difference.

Aye but who controls the monitors

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The fact that you think gordonef is being right wrong is insane. He's one of the most rational and reasoned posters on the site - and has been spot on in this thread.

Far too many people are misjudging the very real consequences of sustained lockdown. Folk think they're being 'left wing' and right wing but i genuinely think that's an absurd accusation when dealing with a crisis like this.

I was listening to folk explain the impact on dementia sufferers, and it was horribly cruel. Add that to the effects on people with incurable conditions and folk not being able to see loved ones in care homes and you've got some severe situations.

Just keeping lockdown until we have a treatment or vaccine is not an option. We need to sort out the testing and isolating obviously, but we also need to find a way to manage the risks that will continue to exist.

That’s a strange response to my posts as I never posted anything that contradicts any of that. 

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Headlines like this make me think the government could announce lockdown is lifted tomorrow and a lot of folk would still stay at home.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/17/hospital-patients-england-coronavirus-covid-19

when i heard about the pausing of cancer services on reflex I thought it sounded awful, but I suppose that might help explain as to why they took that tough decision on balance; at a guess certain/most types of cancer would pretty much make contracting Covid fatal

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

27 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This is a total false argument though. Absolutely noone wants that. Just opening up with no material difference to when we went in is completely pointless though. Why would the virus behave any differently?

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
That’s a strange response to my posts as I never posted anything that contradicts any of that. 

You called him out for being right wing.

It was a right-wing position he was promoting so I think it was a fair call.

That doesn’t explain why you included the paragraph that I boldened.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It was a right-wing position he was promoting so I think it was a fair call.

That doesn’t explain why you included the paragraph that I boldened.

It absolutely wasn't and I explained why, which you didn't respond to. Makes it look like you see anyone who disagrees with you as right wing.

25 minutes ago, madwullie said:

This is a total false argument though. Absolutely noone wants that. Just opening up with no material difference to when we went in is completely pointless though. Why would the virus behave any differently?

Surely you'd have to concede you're just as guilty of creating you're own false argument there? I've not seen one person here suggest that.

25 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Hong Kong with 7 million people on an island smaller than Skye is fully open yet here we are shiteing it over someone walking too close in Asda.

I don't think Hong Kong had something like heading for 40,000 deaths.

Without Googling it, IIRC it was about 7...., rather less than Skye.