Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

*everything* in the spectator is drive by an agenda that has hee haw to do with public health

Used to be much more diverse years ago, before the Barclay weirdo twins bought it. Sheer right wing nutter fodder now.

Edited by welshbairn

I don’t want to say too much about this but it does strike me that everyone has been very quick to acquiesce to schools being closed for a huge amount of time. When schools return in August, part time, they will have been away from school for five months. Who knows when they will go back full time but pupils will have lost a significant proportion of their contact time with their teachers. I think I’m right in saying that this is the longest time away from school of any country during the current crisis.

How much was virtual teaching looked at as a potential solution?

It's going to be a very tricky start to the term, definitely.  We've been signed up for bereavement training, as well as emotions talks.  Normally we would change classes each year but that's been kept to a minimum to help the kids with some consistency and pastoral care next session will be more important than normal. 

Today’s task is splitting our entire cohort up, with the junior school being disseminated into groups of about 10, to facilitate the timetable in August. We’ve got some P7s visiting the school next week for a tour but mainly just the young people who need a high level of support.

I really hope that we can return to normality as soon as possible. The thought of next term running into the October - December term isn’t what anyone wants or needs. We will be finding out more today and Monday about arrangements but we’ve already been sent a document that we need to discuss next week, outlining all the physical changes to the building (one way system etc).

I don’t want to say too much about this but it does strike me that everyone has been very quick to acquiesce to schools being closed for a huge amount of time. When schools return in August, part time, they will have been away from school for five months. Who knows when they will go back full time but pupils will have lost a significant proportion of their contact time with their teachers. I think I’m right in saying that this is the longest time away from school of any country during the current crisis.

I think as has been mentioned, the huge variation in authorities has meant that some have been well prepped for a long time to allow for virtual teaching, but some are miles behind.

The sooner we get back the better, we are not where we need to be in terms of pupil contact and the longer it goes on the bigger the issues.

These poor weans are getting left behind, it's going to lead to poor attainment and problems in the future.
How do you not do a few extra shifts to help the kids catch up?
That will be fucking right, call the Union.
220px--Think_of_the_children.webm.jpg&key=99ea9ab4407259f331c48f2836fb291cea820d7ac43d4ceb396257734a748e02

We will get these kids back on track without the need for ‘extra shifts’. It’s our job to ensure that happens.

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I really hope that we can return to normality as soon as possible. The thought of next term running into the October - December term isn’t what anyone wants or needs. We will be finding out more today and Monday about arrangements but we’ve already been sent a document that we need to discuss next week, outlining all the physical changes to the building (one way system etc).

It's a lot easier in the Primary schools, so I don't envy the high schools.  I spent most of this week in school trying to arrange the class furniture and set up classrooms and it looks very strange and not very welcoming at all.  All the hygiene practises, individualised everything  (no shared reading books, textbooks etc). 

I'm not sure how long this approach will be with us - I can see us being back as "normal" in August.  The SG have already sacked off the distancing for childminders and they may face pressure from parents with childcare issues.  Added to that, the fact that number of cases could be negligible by then.  I think they may start with scaling it back in the primary schools by September.   Purely speculation, of course. 

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Greenied for the use of the word acquiesce

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

As a pinko leftist commie radical demagogue instead it sounds to me like this is a perfect opportunity to properly invest in teaching so that teachers only need to work their contracted hours and are well rested and better at their jobs. I mean we've had 40 years of newspapers telling people unions are bad so I can understand why the mean spirited attitude in the post like above will percolate through. This is of course completely fanciful in our current political reality but we've just witnessed that problems like homelessness can go away at the stroke of a pen and the only things stopping good things happening in society are unpleasant men with blue rosettes who don't like the idea of people being happy.

I think if it's the crisis in education that many are saying they could do what they done with the crisis in healthcare and ask the retired teachers to sign up for a coupe of days a week for say 6 months and get on top of it right away.

Edited by dirty dingus

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

we threw part qualified doctors and nurses into covid wards so I figure we can probably do the same with schools, get the staff numbers up and spread the workload more fairly. Why reduce it to retired teachers who might understandably not want to go near 30 coughing children for the next year or so?

Here's a thought, they can maybe choose not to volunteer.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

What you say about Sweden doesn't explain this.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/11/sweden-coronavirus-312838

My last paragraph explicitly stated that I was not arguing against lockdowns completely, so I'm not sure what this is meant to prove. As I said, I think lockdowns definitely have a role to play assuming they are done early enough, and properly.

The issue I was responding to was the statement that 10 weeks after imposing a lockdown it is suppressing the number of cases, and whether it is currently serving any purpose. No evidence has been given to support this claim and most from other countries contradicts it. The most obvious one that everyone seems keen to avoid is that despite countries reducing lockdown measures the number of cases have not been rising. How does this make sense if lockdown is holding back a wave of cases?

17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

My last paragraph explicitly stated that I was not arguing against lockdowns completely, so I'm not sure what this is meant to prove. As I said, I think lockdowns definitely have a role to play assuming they are done early enough, and properly.

The issue I was responding to was the statement that 10 weeks after imposing a lockdown it is suppressing the number of cases, and whether it is currently serving any purpose. No evidence has been given to support this claim and most from other countries contradicts it. The most obvious one that everyone seems keen to avoid is that despite countries reducing lockdown measures the number of cases have not been rising. How does this make sense if lockdown is holding back a wave of cases?

Experiences vary. Lets hope we don't follow Arizona's.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/11/arizona-coronavirus-us-covid19-doug-ducey

1 hour ago, SJP79 said:

The evidence is in the statistics, it worked the curve was flattened and is now decreasing. 

Where is the evidence that the curve 'was flattened' because of lockdown? Just because they happened at roughly the same time does not mean one caused the other, that's pretty basic stuff.

How come Norway's peak occurred before their lockdown and they were already declining? Data is coming out which shows the UK may have been the same.

And why are countries not seeing a spike in cases as they release lockdown given that 'their cases are low because if lockdown'?

Countries aren't going to admit that extended lockdowns aren't really effective because doing so would be an admission that they've ruined the economy for no reason. There needs to be much greater scrutiny on whether it is an appropriate measure medium-long term so when the next one hits we respond appropriately.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We never averaged 400 cases at our peak, never mind now.

Adjusted for population differences, they eased restrictions at similar numbers to our absolute peak.

The two are not comparable