Coronavirus (COVID-19)

T cell immunity a possibility for Covid. It’s also possible that infection with other corona viruses (the common cold)provides a level of immunity.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z

I had a brutal cold in January that left me struggling to do anything for days. That better have given me immunity.

27 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Hard to believe that in just over 4 weeks crowds (of some description) will be back at games. Really think the Aberdeen players, the Celtic guy and the increase in cases could play right into the SG hands and they’ll turn around and say spectators being allowed will be put on the back burner. Hope I’m just misjudging them 

I genuinely do not see the valid argument against allowing spectators back into stadiums if you are allowed to watch football matches inside a cinema.

Realistically I can't see the SG opening up to accepting any level of Covid infections (even if no one else dies, and our hospitals and ICU wards are effectively empty of Covid patients) until there is a significant change in public support for their strategy, or the JRS ends.

The SG have shown they are weak in the face of criticism (Schools U-turn / exams U-turn) and eventually I think people will see that these new cases we have been seeing are not a significant public health risk, and say "enough is enough" - there is an election rapidly approaching and the reaction to anything which may have cost a significant number of votes seems to have resulted in a very quick cave.

Until either of those scenarios unfolds, I expect they will continue to bumble along the current 'route map' wanting to cry, being furious, and crossing their fingers that their miracle of "zero covid" arrives out of the blue.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I genuinely do not see the valid argument against allowing spectators back into stadiums if you are allowed to watch football matches inside a cinema.

Realistically I can't see the SG opening up to accepting any level of Covid infections (even if no one else dies, and our hospitals and ICU wards are effectively empty of Covid patients) until there is a significant change in public support for their strategy, or the JRS ends.

The SG have shown they are weak in the face of criticism (Schools U-turn / exams U-turn) and eventually I think people will see that these new cases we have been seeing are not a significant public health risk, and say "enough is enough" - there is an election rapidly approaching and the reaction to anything which may have cost a significant number of votes seems to have resulted in a very quick cave.

Until either of those scenarios unfolds, I expect they will continue to bumble along the current 'route map' wanting to cry, being furious, and crossing their fingers that their miracle of "zero covid" arrives out of the blue.

Same, I see no reason why people can’t go to a game outdoors where transmission is lower, yet they can go into a  small cinema room. Like many “rules” regarding covid, it’s madness. I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post 

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Same, I see no reason why people can’t go to a game outdoors where transmission is lower, yet they can go into a  small cinema room. Like many “rules” regarding covid, it’s madness. I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post 

I get it, in the sense you are going to shout or sing. They view this as a high risk so it is at least consistent.

In a pub they want staff to ask you to leave if you stand up or get too loud. Again consistent.

But I can't imagine people paying in to a cinema to watch a game and then watching it in silence. It completely contradicts their reasoning behind banning volume in bars.

53 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

"The SNP are the true heirs to Blair" is my troll take that I 100% sincerely believe

That shouldn’t be considered a troll take at all. The SNP have dominated Scottish politics in the same way New Labour dominated British politics; by occupying the absolute centre ground and appealing to the middle and professional classes. 

There’s nothing left-wing about any Scottish Government ministers. They’re all essentially careerist and managerial and devoid of any real radical thoughts or intentions.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I get it, in the sense you are going to shout or sing. They view this as a high risk so it is at least consistent.

In a pub they want staff to ask you to leave if you stand up or get too loud. Again consistent.

But I can't imagine people paying in to a cinema to watch a game and then watching it in silence. It completely contradicts their reasoning behind banning volume in bars.

I think if supporters were wearing face coverings then they’d be able to shout and sing, yet still not give everyone around them covid 🙄 , the fact that small attended  spectator sports like Ayr races (usual meetings about 300) are still behind closed doors, yet Silverburn and indoor places like that are heaving is just crazy. I’m not even a racing fan but even I can see folk could socially distance extremely easily at Ayr  

2 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

That shouldn’t be considered a troll take at all. The SNP have dominated Scottish politics in the same way New Labour dominated British politics; by occupying the absolute centre ground and appealing to the middle and professional classes. 

There’s nothing left-wing about any Scottish Government ministers. They’re all essentially careerist and managerial and devoid of any real radical thoughts or intentions.

The last 3 months in particular have been a prime example of this

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The last 3 months in particular have been a prime example of this

By ‘radical’ I wasn’t really meaning ‘essentially deny the existence of a global pandemic and recommend that everyone goes round licking door handles as much as they want’ - as you seem to want - but no bother. 

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Prime example is fixing the qualifications so they looked right on a chart without thinking of the effects on individuals.

It looked good and sensible management but was actually a lot of shite.

They were right to fix the results, but it should never have gotten to the scenario it did.

Clear guidance on what was expected should have been communicated and followed up on to address any ridiculous anomalies at a more individual level. They had plenty of time.

It was shite management.

2 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

By ‘radical’ I wasn’t really meaning ‘essentially deny the existence of a global pandemic and recommend that everyone goes round licking door handles as much as they want’ - as you seem to want - but no bother. 

Aye. Good one.

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

A "you can sit your exams in the next few weeks to demonstrate your ability or keep the grade you were given" ultimatum would have been absolutely superb. 

The logistics required to do that from scratch would be impossible. If they'd had say a few months spare to quality control some new papers that noone had seen, and the technology/space existed to let the exams be taken with distancing or even remotely, and a vast number of markers sitting about twirling their thumbs with spare time to mark they could have pulled it off. But it was just too hard

OR they could have insisted on the evidence for the pupils whose grades were a farce, employed same technology and markers to moderate a handful from each school and take it from there.

But it was just too hard and they've always moulded the results to a bell chart, so might as well do the same again but this time with the added bonus of not actually having an exam. Individuals can just be a historical amalgamation of kids like them that went to their school and it will come off perfectly 👌 what could go wrong (is more or less how I imagine the one meeting they bothered to have about this went.) 

Going forward they can just scrap exams entirely as they know the results will be like x for the cohort, so give them x

Job's a good un lads 

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

The logistics required to do that from scratch would be impossible. If they'd had say a few months spare to quality control some new papers that noone had seen, and the technology/space existed to let the exams be taken with distancing or even remotely they could have pulled it off. But it was just too hard and they've always moulded the results to a bell chart, so might as well do the same again but this time with the added bonus of not actually having an exam. Individuals can just be a historical amalgamation of kids like them that went to their school and it will come off perfectly 👌 what could go wrong (is more or less how I imagine the one meeting they bothered to have about this went.) 

Job's a good un lads 

I wasn't being entirely serious. Or serious at all. Maybe just get everyone that was demonstrating at George Square to do it and that girl from Braidhurst too?

Also we could get Mixufruit to create an algorithm to find anyone whose parents have been complaining too much on Facebook? Stick them in the exam as well IMO.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

T cell immunity a possibility for Covid. It’s also possible that infection with other corona viruses (the common cold)provides a level of immunity.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2550-z

I had to invest in a pack of shan lemsips from poundland in January.  So my body is now impregnable to the Chinese lurgy. That's good to know,

A "you can sit your exams in the next few weeks to demonstrate your ability or keep the grade you were given" ultimatum would have been absolutely superb. 

You just know someone would fail, claim the pressure to perform was too high then complain they didn’t get their original grades.

Hard to believe that in just over 4 weeks crowds (of some description) will be back at games. Really think the Aberdeen players, the Celtic guy and the increase in cases could play right into the SG hands and they’ll turn around and say spectators being allowed will be put on the back burner. Hope I’m just misjudging them 
The rising new daily infections will do that without any intervention from arsehole players.