Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

It should also be taken into consideration that ‘business leaders’ are not advocating reopening as a means to maintaining employment.  It’s mostly about the bottom line profit.  Not to say they shouldn’t be heard and it would be sensible to have input from all sectors.  Question for the ones asking for an adult conversation - how do you actually go about facilitating this? I’m not having a go just confused how that could ever work.

Businesses making profits maintains employment.

13 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Missed much of this this morning.

See this group of 19 that have been asked about Scotland's strategy - When were they asked? Cause surely the horse has already bolted on adopting NZ style approach (1100 new cases yesterday). 

Even if we are to adopt a NZ style strategy, dunno how we'll get there - you'd never know we're in'Lockdown' going by the traffic volumes

Happened during January this year.

12 minutes ago, virginton said:

What is the benefit of having MSPs literally joining every small group for a listening exercise? You could just record the discussions and allow MSPs to have (time-limited) access to however many group discussions that they wanted, in addition to getting their actual views on the issue.

This is absolutely tinpot, small-time stuff for a 21st century democracy.

To listen and dig into an idea brought up in the discussion it's their session it would seem odd to just have some members public in a room with a member of parliament staff and no elected representatives digging into detail.

I agree I would like to see a secondary chamber made up of members of the public but in terms of bringing our democracy into the 21st century let's see how the citizens assembly do in 10 years certainly work to do any you would hope an independent state would have a root and branch review of its operations and how knows maybe that would come sooner if the inquiry into the handling of the pandemic highlights it as a risk.

Or maybe just have Jackie Bailey as a kind of oracle as she saw the pandemic before everyone ;)

15 minutes ago, Steven W said:

dunno how we'll get there - you'd never know we're in'Lockdown' going by the traffic volumes

Exactly. Everyone who does essential work or a job which generates real value for the economy still has to go to work. 

All the important parts of the economy have either been continually open or only shut down during spring 2020. There is no economic imperative to reopen pubs or nail bars or gyms. 

I saw Leitch's comments on BBC here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56110282

To be fair, he seems to be somewhat realistic about the cost of any such policy and compromises we might have to make.  The debate is whether or not that is a policy worth following, and that should be left open to the public to decide.  

It is interesting to note, however, at the bottom of the article comments from another Doctor from Edinburgh Uni who is talking about living with the virus and the vaccination programme.  I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking but I do seem to notice more of these types of comment getting traction in the media.  

I actually wouldn't be as annoyed if NS/SG were to say these restrictions may be needed depending on the vaccination programme and are a pragmatic contingency plan and not plan A.   At least that would be an acknowledgment there is a near-future with significantly less restrictions (ideally none) if things work as hoped instead of this "abandon all hope, ye who enter here" messaging.  

3 minutes ago, super_carson said:

To be fair, he seems to be somewhat realistic about the cost of any such policy and compromises we might have to make.  The debate is whether or not that is a policy worth following, and that should be left open to the public to decide.  

It is interesting to note, however, at the bottom of the article comments from another Doctor from Edinburgh Uni who is talking about living with the virus and the vaccination programme.  I'm not sure if it's wishful thinking but I do seem to notice more of these types of comment getting traction in the media.  

I actually wouldn't be as annoyed if NS/SG were to say these restrictions may be needed depending on the vaccination programme and are a pragmatic contingency plan and not plan A.   At least that would be an acknowledgment there is a near-future with significantly less restrictions (ideally none) if things work as hoped instead of this "abandon all hope, ye who enter here" messaging.  

He also seems to think four and five day lockdows off the back off a couple of positive tests are a viable long term strategy, even in a highly vaccinated population.

I genuiely don't feel that the "compromises" are worth it for the sake of preventing people becoming mildly ill. That is utter madness, and so far removed from the "protect the NHS" goal the emergency powers were brought in for.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Exactly. Everyone who does essential work or a job which generates real value for the economy still has to go to work. 

All the important parts of the economy have either been continually open or only shut down during spring 2020. There is no economic imperative to reopen pubs or nail bars or gyms. 

Whether you're for it or not, surely the only means of getting to zero-covid (or thereabouts) would need an actual proper lockdown, with nigh on everything shut.

1100 cases yesterday (over six weeks into it now) is a damning indictment of this half arsed lockdown.

4 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I'm beginning to think their stategy / policy is all over the shop to be honest.

14 minutes ago, Detournement said:

All the important parts of the economy have either been continually open or only shut down during spring 2020. There is no economic imperative to reopen pubs or nail bars or gyms

Of course not.  Now that Sunak has found his magic money tree we can pluck notes off it for ever more. 

The quicker all aspects of the economy are re-opened the less the tax payer will have to find in the future to balance the country's finances and the less jobs are likely to be lost.  This doesn't mean we open up tomorrow but it absolutely is imperative we open up as soon as is reasonably possible.

Just now, Steven W said:

Whether you're for it or not, surely the only means of getting to zero-covid (or thereabouts) would need an actual proper lockdown, with nigh on everything shut.

1100 cases yesterday (over six weeks into it now) is a damning indictment of this half arsed lockdown.

I'm not talking about Covid levels. I'm talking about how the economy is still functioning in a way which massively benefits the super rich. The stock markets in America hit an all time high two days ago. 

There will be some people like Tim Martin who want to open back up so he can sell pints and battered cod but he's a 4th rate capitalist with an outdated investment model. 

8 minutes ago, super_carson said:

The article fails to highlight the most important point that the group acknowledged broad agreement would be required across the entire UK to pursue elimination. So their recommendations and Leitch’s comments are a distracting waste of time.

The thing is, this is what would have to happen if these folk got their way.

The central belt has been in tier 3 (or equivalent) since about September. We'd be left bouncing between tiers 3 and 4 forever if it was up to these loonies.
Whit, it's a citizens assembly ffs, they cannot and will not "get their way"

Folk really are starting to lose all perspective here within this echo chamber.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Whit, it's a citizens assembly ffs, they cannot and will not "get their way"

Folk really are starting to lose all perspective here within this echo chamber.

Of course they won't "get their way"

But the SG will undoubtably use these findings to support their views that they have full public support for their strategy.

13 minutes ago, Steven W said:

You keep going on about the number of cases yesterday but are ignoring the low positivity rate which has already been mentioned. 5.1%