Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The most sensible thing is sitting in your hoose. The fact that people keep looking for exceptions to this rule proves that we need more of VT's "truncheon to the face" policy.

No, the most sensible thing is to take regular outdoor exercise while following strict social distancing measures at all times. And then washing your hands as soon as you get in the door. Only those who can't follow those rules gets a truncheon in the face.

People seem to be massively underestimating the serious mental and physical strains that twelve weeks or more of shutting yourself between four walls would have on anyone in the general population.

Guest bernardblack
'No, no, no. I'm different.'
You do realise that this is the problem?
Just stay in your hoose. Your run is not essential.

The run is essential for my mental health tbh.

I don’t think you really understand how this virus spreads.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, virginton said:

No, the most sensible thing is to take regular outdoor exercise while following strict social distancing measures at all times. And then washing your hands as soon as you get in the door. Only those who can't follow those rules gets a truncheon in the face.

People seem to be massively underestimating the serious mental and physical strains that twelve weeks or more of shutting yourself between four walls would have on anyone in the general population.

You seem to be massively over-estimating the capacity of the public to follow instructions, maintain hygiene, and to resist social habits that have been hard-wired since childhood.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The most sensible thing is sitting in your hoose. The fact that people keep looking for exceptions to this rule proves that we need more of VT's "truncheon to the face" policy.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think VT is in the 'never cross your threshold ' camp.

I'll soon find out.:)

3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

'No, no, no. I'm different.'

You do realise that this is the problem?

Just stay in your hoose. Your run is not essential.

I imagine you find social distancing quite easy.  No one would come near you if they could possibly avoid it.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, bernardblack said:

The run is essential for my mental health tbh.

I don’t think you really understand how this virus spreads.

It's not more essential for your mental health than for that of a great many other people.

I do understand how this spreads. And I do understand that people who think they aren't a problem are the problem.

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's not really relevant, mate. They're two separate issues.

I do sympathise with your travel concerns, I really do.

But this is about people choosing to go outside when there is absolutely no need to do so.

I don't think people should be on crowded trains, but I do understand the economy needs to function. That's difficult.

Someone going out for a completely non-essential reason is just daft and selfish.

You are right of course, however being stubborn, I like to have things justified to me and a rationale given and frankly I'm not accepting that one is an acceptable risk and the other is not given what our actual job function is.

In honesty I'm being selfish here and looking at my own situation as opposed to someone who is working as a frontline Doctor or Nurse etc who I'd deem to be "key" to the operation of the country.

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm much the same to be honest (rural Ayrshire), walk out my estate and it's the hills and the burn for miles with just an odd isolated farmhouse here and there.

A) Little to no chance of meeting another punter.

B) Even with a lockdown it would be both impossible and indeed pointless to enforce.

C) Won't matter anyway as I'll probably contract the virus at work in Glasgow and then pass on to my rural community when I visit Tesco for my shopping.

Surley there's room enough inside your estate, Lord Wattoo? 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Exactly.  That's where I am too. Provided you practice effective social distancing its hugely beneficial to be outside exercising. 

That's not really relevant, mate. They're two separate issues.
I do sympathise with your travel concerns, I really do.
But this is about people choosing to go outside when there is absolutely no need to do so.
I don't think people should be on crowded trains, but I do understand the economy needs to function. That's difficult.
Someone going out for a completely non-essential reason is just daft and selfish.
Most of those people in that train will not be working on essential jobs. It's also not essential for Scotrail to cut the number of trains during peak times.

The government have made a complete arse of this. You have pubs, restaurants etc forced to close. Most retail shops have closed voluntarily while most other businesses are still running as normal.

They'll no doubt eventually force all non essential businesses to close but just like with the pubs they are dragging their heels about it and in the meantime the virus will be spreading further.

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It's not more essential for your mental health than for that of a great many other people.

I do understand how this spreads. And I do understand that people who think they aren't a problem are the problem.

There's absolutely no point saving lives from coronavirus and losing them to suicide. 

I'm not sure people understand how many lives exercise saves every day.

Edited by Bairn Necessities

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Bairn Necessities said:

There's absolutely no point saving lives from coronavirus and losing them to suicide. 

I agree this is going to be a huge problem. However ,it's a huge jump you've just made there to equate the potential deaths from suicide with the deaths, long-lasting health impact, and economic impact of the covid virus. Do you have anything to base it on?

The FM specifically mentioned that she was well aware of the mental cost of what she's asking people to do. It's deeply unpleasant. We all know that. She's still asking people to ask themselves whether their activities are essential.

If not, then you probably shouldn't do it.

Update on the pox.

Slept last night for 10 hours with no epic sweating for the first time.

Woke up still run down and dehydrated with a light head ache but not much else wrong.

Energy is low and trying not to push it which will be difficult home schooling 2 girls who've already had a fight during Joe wickes PE lesson on you tube.

I tend to go downhill as the day goes on but last night I had a stupidly hot bath which near killed me at the time but I did feel a bit better after the heat were off.

7 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

You seem to be massively over-estimating the capacity of the public to follow instructions, maintain hygiene, and to resist social habits that have been hard-wired since childhood.

No I'm not: that's what the truncheon to the face is for.

We take our dog to a quiet area for a walk, for him & us. If we happen to see other human life we keep well away, back in the car, home & wash hands.

Only going out if we really need milk or my missus' prescriptions now, which will be later today as she takes 9 different tablets every day for existing health conditions.

Stay safe folk.

In terms of exercise I live on the edge of a village which backs onto a giant woods. I'll go out there when I'm better because outside time is important, there is nobody about even during the summer and the paths are quite established that should I see anyone I can stay well clear or call out.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

I agree this is going to be a huge problem. However ,it's a huge jump you've just made there to equate the potential deaths from suicide with the deaths, long-lasting health impact, and economic impact of the covid virus. Do you have anything to base it on?

The FM specifically mentioned that she was well aware of the mental cost of what she's asking people to do. It's deeply unpleasant. We all know that. She's still asking people to ask themselves whether their activities are essential.

If not, then you probably shouldn't do it.

The impact of exercise on mental health is long established 

Guest bernardblack

A run in the middle of nowhere with nobody around is not the problem.