Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Well at least we've got all the accusations of STURGEON COVERED UP #COP26 to look forward to

So she is involved in running it now?

I struggle to keep up with whether her fanboys are saying it’s a WM event so nothing to do with the SG, or if they claim the SG are integral to the event proceedings.

Anyone would think it’s whatever suits their narrative at the time…

Just now, Abdul_Latif said:

So she is involved in running it now?

I struggle to keep up with whether her fanboys are saying it’s a WM event so nothing to do with the SG, or if they claim the SG are integral to the event proceedings.

Anyone would think it’s whatever suits their narrative at the time…

Of course she will take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for some gift shop worker not getting the virus and whatever other slavers get printed multiple times by the Daily Express with the words CONDEMN and SECRET featuring prominently. 

31 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is spot on. My head nearly went yesterday with this “restrictions might be coming” patter from the government and the media. I had to stop myself getting raging again, which as you say was almost a permanent state for months back when things were first opening/opened. It’s not a healthy way to live, and the fearmongerers are to blame.

This. There are a lot of people who spent the best part of 18 months worried about their jobs etc who, having finally got their lives just about back in order, are having their heads messed about with once more because (and I can't stress this enough) unvaccinated English schoolchildren are causing case numbers to shoot up.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

This. There are a lot of people who spent the best part of 18 months worried about their jobs etc who, having finally got their lives just about back in order, are having their heads messed about with once more because (and I can't stress this enough) unvaccinated English schoolchildren are causing case numbers to shoot up.

How difficult is it to get the gym halls to be vaccination hubs in schools? Honestly they could fire through all the schools in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Abdul_Latif

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Struggling to see how people moving out of Scotland would cause an increase of cases in Scotland.  I'm sure her being such an expert there will be a reason she's mentioned outbound travel though.

I wonder how many delegates are coming from countries with a higher proportion of cases per 100k than Scotland? 

Can't be that many, it will be the reverse in most cases. 

2 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

The biggest worry in Scotland I’d suggest, is if England bring in measures such as face coverings or light use of vaccine passports (like out current set up), what does the SG do to amplify / tighten ours?

Vaccine passports for all hospitality, events , non essential shops?

Attend school or work in person, only if you’ve been vaccinated?

They will need to be seen to be doing something more and it’ll be an absolute shit show.

It will surely be driven by case rates and the English case rates are currently through the roof just now and certainly something needs to be done, whether that's reintroducing mask wearing and social distancing in line with the rest of the UK, WHO KNOWS ??

As for Scotland, if our mask wearing and social distancing is keeping the case rates lower than England and at a manageable rate, then I see no reason why the SG would reintroduce any further restrictions unnecessarily which would obviously adversely affect their popularity etc. Not to mention that we don't have the fiscal budget to do this.

The bottom line is that we need to get as many youngsters as possible vaccinated asap, as that would appear to be the main driver in keeping case rates low if we are to compare figures with our European peers.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

In all honesty I think at this point the two go hand in hand. The govt have used the media throughout this, and even when they are at odds with eachother the govt do not act to shut down the fanciful bullshit that gets to print. Its meant to be a fucking public health crisis and yet the govt have repeatedly allowed the media to set the narrative for the public. 

We were afforded a Covid holiday from July/August time to allow everyone to recover mentally and now the renewal of the Emergency Powers is the sounder for the Nudge Unit to get back to work on their pyschological control throgh fear.*

*Which is how government scientists have described UK govenrment policy before anyone starts greeting

Spoiler

SPI-B is one of the sub-committees that advises the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), led by Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser.

One SPI-B scientist told Ms Dodsworth: “In March [2020] the Government was very worried about compliance and they thought people wouldn’t want to be locked down. There were discussions about fear being needed to encourage compliance, and decisions were made about how to ramp up the fear. The way we have used fear is dystopian.

“The use of fear has definitely been ethically questionable. It’s been like a weird experiment. Ultimately, it backfired because people became too scared.”

Another SPI-B member said: “You could call psychology ‘mind control’. That’s what we do… clearly we try and go about it in a positive way, but it has been used nefariously in the past.”

One warned that “people use the pandemic to grab power and drive through things that wouldn’t happen otherwise… We have to be very careful about the authoritarianism that is creeping in”.

Another said: “Without a vaccine, psychology is your main weapon… Psychology has had a really good epidemic, actually.”

As well as overt warnings about the danger of the virus, the Government has been accused of feeding the public a non-stop diet of bad news, such as deaths and hospitalisations, without ever putting the figures in context with news of how many people have recovered, or whether daily death tolls are above or below seasonal averages.

Another member of SPI-B said they were "stunned by the weaponisation of behavioural psychology" during the pandemic, and that “psychologists didn’t seem to notice when it stopped being altruistic and became manipulative. They have too much power and it intoxicates them”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/14/scientists-admit-totalitarian-use-fear-control-behaviour-covid/

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Guessing your mate would be breaking the law.  Not sure if you would be.

ETA from here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58422607

while there will be no new law created to catch people who enter events without a certificate, the government said it was possible that they could be committing an offence under existing law if they present "falsified information"

Looks like you're in the clear.  how much will you be charging him to borrow your certificate?

The bloke will be screwed though if he wishes to go on holiday, best to tell him just to stop being a martyr as nobody is interested......

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

We were afforded a Covid holiday from July/August time to allow everyone to recover mentally and now the renewal of the Emergency Powers is the sounder for the Nudge Unit to get back to work on their pyschological control throgh fear.*

*Which is how government scientists have described UK govenrment policy before anyone starts greeting

Reveal hidden contents

SPI-B is one of the sub-committees that advises the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), led by Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser.

One SPI-B scientist told Ms Dodsworth: “In March [2020] the Government was very worried about compliance and they thought people wouldn’t want to be locked down. There were discussions about fear being needed to encourage compliance, and decisions were made about how to ramp up the fear. The way we have used fear is dystopian.

“The use of fear has definitely been ethically questionable. It’s been like a weird experiment. Ultimately, it backfired because people became too scared.”

Another SPI-B member said: “You could call psychology ‘mind control’. That’s what we do… clearly we try and go about it in a positive way, but it has been used nefariously in the past.”

One warned that “people use the pandemic to grab power and drive through things that wouldn’t happen otherwise… We have to be very careful about the authoritarianism that is creeping in”.

Another said: “Without a vaccine, psychology is your main weapon… Psychology has had a really good epidemic, actually.”

As well as overt warnings about the danger of the virus, the Government has been accused of feeding the public a non-stop diet of bad news, such as deaths and hospitalisations, without ever putting the figures in context with news of how many people have recovered, or whether daily death tolls are above or below seasonal averages.

Another member of SPI-B said they were "stunned by the weaponisation of behavioural psychology" during the pandemic, and that “psychologists didn’t seem to notice when it stopped being altruistic and became manipulative. They have too much power and it intoxicates them”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/14/scientists-admit-totalitarian-use-fear-control-behaviour-covid/

I must admit I read the latest "leaked" report of the "nudge unit" on the plant based diet and found the whole thing very chilling indeed.

The part about infiltrating Universities etc was particularly worrying as was the forcing it through at Hospitals, Prisons, courts, military bases etc.

Then we had the piece about promoting domestic tourism and "shaming" international travellers.

And this country has the cheek to talk about China and Russia !!!

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It will surely be driven by case rates and the English case rates are currently through the roof just now and certainly something needs to be done, whether that's reintroducing mask wearing and social distancing in line with the rest of the UK, WHO KNOWS ??

As for Scotland, if our mask wearing and social distancing is keeping the case rates lower than England and at a manageable rate, then I see no reason why the SG would reintroduce any further restrictions unnecessarily which would obviously adversely affect their popularity etc. Not to mention that we don't have the fiscal budget to do this.

The bottom line is that we need to get as many youngsters as possible vaccinated asap, as that would appear to be the main driver in keeping case rates low if we are to compare figures with our European peers.

What social distancing?

There are 4 solutions to reduce case numbers among school aged children.

1. Do nothing. Allow cases to naturally peak. This is what we did.

2. Mass vaccinate school kids. Use gym halls like normal vaccine days.

3. Extend the Mid-Term holiday by one week and return on the 8th of November instead.

4. Close schools.

There is little point in introducing restrictions elsewhere to reduce cases, as the case numbers in all other age groups are relatively low and fairly stable.

I suspect the UK Gov is firmly in favour of option 1 and, given how it played out up here, that seems a fair decision.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What social distancing?

There are 4 solutions to reduce case numbers among school aged children.

1. Do nothing. Allow cases to naturally peak. This is what we did.

2. Mass vaccinate school kids. Use gym halls like normal vaccine days.

3. Extend the Mid-Term holiday by one week and return on the 8th of November instead.

4. Close schools.

There is little point in introducing restrictions elsewhere to reduce cases, as the case numbers in all other age groups are relatively low and fairly stable.

I suspect the UK Gov is firmly in favour of option 1 and, given how it played out up here, that seems a fair decision.

Personally, I've no real idea about mask wearing and whether or not it's of any benefit as I work in Banking and not in the scientific or medical professions.

Some reports I've read say they work in reducing infections, other reports say they're of little use but as I say, I don't know, and can only go with what the majority of experts are telling us, although granted there's no consensus on this.

I still believe the reluctance of the JCVI to vaccinate schoolchildren has been the major driver of our high infection rates in this country, but surely anything that helps and is not too restrictive must be a good idea if it saves any lives at all ??

21 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I must admit I read the latest "leaked" report of the "nudge unit" on the plant based diet and found the whole thing very chilling indeed.

They are very obviously using a strategy of getting their intentions out early so by the time the government enact it officially the vast majority of the population will have either grown used to the idea already or taken up a position supporting it because they see the people against it as their political enemy.

45 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They are very obviously using a strategy of getting their intentions out early so by the time the government enact it officially the vast majority of the population will have either grown used to the idea already or taken up a position supporting it because they see the people against it as their political enemy.

This is definitely what’s happening as we’ve seen it several times already in this pandemic.