Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The "please dont think this is optional" isnt for us btw. Its for bar staff, club staff, waiters and waitresses etc. Shes shifting the burden on to them to police what she cant enforce, under not at all veiled threats.
It's for them and people who like to take photos of strangers on trains and tag Scotrail on Twitter.

34 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Again, not really, the only thing that might be different is we could have handled the first wave better, but as soon as the inevitable opening up happened we would have taken more or less the same course
We are not New Zealand

I think the opposite is probably true.  One reason the first wave hit so hard in the UK is that our pandemic response plan was followed, which was to accept mass infections, shield the vulnerable and flatten the curve.  Going by what we know now, none of our brainiac overlords realised that for a highly transmissible novel virus this would involve huge numbers of deaths and when they realised that they turned away from the plan late in March last year.

In terms of what an independent Scotland would have done, we have no idea but our medical advisors all bought into the idea of flattening the curve.  If you recall, Jason Leitch went on all the TV shows and explained it, Nicola Stugeon went along with this.  We didn't take any significant action before the rUK.  If Scotland had left the UK in 2014 it's highly likely we'd have continued to follow the same sort of plan as England for this stuff.  There's no reason to think it would have been different.

It's more likely that Scotland would have instituted a full lockdown in December last year before the UK government did but the full lockdown was pretty much co-ordinated between the Four Nations.  I think most of the differences, up until the last few months and the vaccine passport, probably fall into the narcissism of small differences.

Edited by ICTChris

Be interested in some of the (expert!) views on here re what NS stated in terms of hospital admission projections. From recall she said that even if Omicron caused les severe disease when taking significantly increased transmissibility into account current modelling (I know) suggests a significant increase in hospital admisiions going forward. I can't recall the figures she used. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Be interested in some of the (expert!) views on here re what NS stated in terms of hospital admission projections. From recall she said that even if Omicron caused les severe disease when taking significantly increased transmissibility into account current modelling (I know) suggests a significant increase in hospital admisiions going forward. I can't recall the figures she used. 

"In recent months, the proportion of Delta cases needing hospital care has been around 2%.

That means an average daily case number of around 2,700 - as has been the case in recent weeks - will result in around 400 hospital admissions a week.

But if cases rise significantly to, say, 10,000 a day because of Omicron’s greater transmissibility - and this is well within the modelled estimates in the evidence paper we published on Friday - then even if the hospitalization rate turned out to be half that of Delta’s at just 1%, we would see 700 hospital admissions a week."

21months ago we were plunged into measures designed to ‘Help prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed’. Here we are now where we’ve continually been under these restrictions ranging from mild to severe implications on our lives and health (most importantly mental health) from a virus with a very high survival rate, one we are now mostly all vaccinated for with 50% almost of the population (indeed those most vulnerable the ones with the highest level of morbidity, you know the ones that we were asked to stop doing x,y,z for (btw this is not me having a go at them)) actually triple vaccinated. 

What do we have now, well we have the aforementioned vaccines, we have 2 years experience in managing ill people with it in hospital, we have medicines which work to a staggeringly high degree of efficiency against the virus and prevent 89% of hospitalisation. We also have significant amounts of data on this and prior variants from other countries, showing us what happens in areas where they dont have this same level of mitigation (and indeed a massive proportion of the population immuno compromised from HIV) showing us that this isnt the killer strain they are making it out to be.

But over the last 21 months, what has been done to expand NHS services to cope with future waves? Why hasnt capacity been increased? Why are we all having to make such significant sacrifices and those ill with other conditions subject to at best a reduced level of service and worst case scenario with cancer patients and suicidal individuals, having meaningful treatment withdrawn and been sent home to in essence die. 

The Scottish government has promised spending on all manner of wonderful things like bikes for everyone etc, but cmon wouldnt most of us agree we’d rather see that money put towards building more wards or employing CPN’s or nursing staff? 

Yet again we’ve all been told how naughty we are for wanting a normal life and how selfish we are if we want to see our friends or not feel lonely. But what we’ve never ever been told is, what is the end game? We’ve got pictures of Nicola doing the rounds with aged effects announcing level 77 in 2034, i know thats extreme, but at what point or stage are we able to look forward to this being over? Why havent they promised a review when we have yet more data showing mild disease in the main? Genuinely been promised that we’ll all be party to a conversation about this virus, but actually what happens is if you have a dissenting voice or even ask a question they don’t like you are publicly shamed and told how naughty you are. They ignored any evidence which didn’t suit the narrative, churches full of old people most likely to catch covid and die = ok batter on, football grounds in open spaces with 200/300 people standing around in the wind etc = horrible horrible people who must be punished, there are plenty other examples of rules being changed for one thing deemed worthy and there has been no ‘conversation’ to tell us why or indeed show us their working on it. 

Jason Leitch gets wheeled out as this figure we should all apparently listen to, but is actually an insufferable condescending arsehole who will answer questions from people at breaking point with faux jovial shite like ‘ill ask ‘the guys’’ but never actually give a meaningful answer backed up with any reasonable explanation. Then you’ve got idiots like Devi and Deepti, who absolutely demand you listen to them despite being wrong about so many things consistently and in some circumstances just flat out lying about things to keep themselves relevant.

Im honestly at the point where I feel lowest about this entire thing now, everything we were told would ‘get us to normality’ has happened and its still not enough for them. 

6 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

None of the leaders in the UK has the guts to shut the schools which are clearly the hub for community transmission. 

Shutting schools should not even be considered, other than in an absolute disaster scenario, and adults should suck that up.

6 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Shutting schools should not even be considered, other than in an absolute disaster scenario, and adults should suck that up.

It is the one area where I think there would be a fairly quick and easy win - allow parents to keep kids off school next week if they so wish. My kids will spend 2 days with other kids watching movies, colouring in and mucking about. I'm fine with that but if, say, half of parents take their kids out for those two days (and those days ONLY) then it will likely be a winner in terms of covid transmission.

The issue, I suspect, is that if they give even an inch here the EIS and the likes will spend the festive break screaming all over the radios that schools should stay shut in January. They don't want to set a precedent.

Shutting down anything in an overwhelmingly triple vaccinated population should not even be considered.

And lets not forget, flu hospitalisation varies year on year based on variant at the time, and often reaches levels that could be considered high. What we are on now is exactly the path of covid turning into just another flu.

This "aye but hospitalisation might increase" ought to be met with a shrug of the shoulders. Or, in the context of threatening entire indistries, a whoke hearted "f**k off, you power crazed psychopath".

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It is the one area where I think there would be a fairly quick and easy win - allow parents to keep kids off school next week if they so wish. My kids will spend 2 days with other kids watching movies, colouring in and mucking about. I'm fine with that but if, say, half of parents take their kids out for those two days (and those days ONLY) then it will likely be a winner in terms of covid transmission.

The issue, I suspect, is that if they give even an inch here the EIS and the likes will spend the festive break screaming all over the radios that schools should stay shut in January. They don't want to set a precedent.

I honestly don’t think anything is holding omicron back, and if the schools were shut the kids would all just be at soft play / trampoline park type places spreading it anyway.

Agree with your point about EIS wholeheartedly tho!

Edited by Abdul_Latif

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Shutting down anything in an overwhelmingly triple vaccinated population should not even be considered.

And lets not forget, flu hospitalisation varies year on year based on variant at the time, and often reaches levels that could be considered high. What we are on now is exactly the path of covid turning into just another flu.

This "aye but hospitalisation might increase" ought to be met with a shrug of the shoulders. Or, in the context of threatening entire indistries, a whoke hearted "f**k off, you power crazed psychopath".

This 

we should be at the stage where politicians and those in charge are laying out plans to us on how they are improving the healthcare system to deal with Covid as it is now clearly a virus we are living with 

Instead they are still running around causing blind panic like it is still March 2020.  They have left the NHS to more or less stand still with huge amount of GP’s still not able to offer face to face meetings and backlogs growing for other vital healthcare. The government seems happy to just stay reactive to Covid rather than make any attempt at becoming proactive.