Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

How much do we reckon keeping free testing going would cost Scotland? Is it a realistic possibility like Nicola tweeted when it was first mooted free testing would end? Genuinely interested.

If it’s £2bn per month for the UK then roughly £200m per month for Scotland.

1 minute ago, KingswellsRed said:

How much do we reckon keeping free testing going would cost Scotland? Is it a realistic possibility like Nicola tweeted when it was first mooted free testing would end? Genuinely interested.

BJ claimed that "free" covid testing currently costs the UK £2bn per month.

Based on that, the Scottish bill will be somewhere around £200m per month.

Assuming they would be keeping them "free" for political optics in the lead up to the election, that's in the region of £600m to repurpose from other budgets.

Adding that to the pointless Christmas restictions, that would bring the total amount of public funds moved from other budgets to the "care more" fund to almost £1bn.

I'd like to hear the SG's evidence of the benefit that £1bn brought.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

BJ claimed that "free" covid testing currently costs the UK £2bn per month.

Based on that, the Scottish bill will be somewhere around £200m per month.

Assuming they would be keeping them "free" for political optics in the lead up to the election, that's in the region of £600m to repurpose from other budgets.

Adding that to the pointless Christmas restictions, that would bring the total amount of public funds moved from other budgets to the "care more" fund to almost £1bn.

I'd like to hear the SG's evidence of the benefit that £1bn brought.

It is probably plucked from the money trees that Patrick Harvie, NS and the blah blahers planted during Cop 26 to soak up the carbon (or to save the planet}.

Edited by Blue Brazil Forever
Add to post

43 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it's absolutely unprecedented in human history for things to be done differently either side of a border.

Sorry, when have bog standard respiratory infections been 'done differently' either side of a border?

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Sorry, when have bog standard respiratory infections been 'done differently' either side of a border?

Dunno.

It's particularly facile though to pick two places near each other, but divided by a border, in order to say "it seems crazy that..."

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Dunno.

It's particularly facile though to pick two places near each other, but divided by a border, in order to say "it seems crazy that..."

Just get your tongue out the Scottish Government's arsehole.

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Just get your tongue out the Scottish Government's arsehole.

That's laughable I'm afraid.

I think they've made a mess of this and it's time we stripped away virtually all restrictions.  

Terribly coarse language you resort to, old chap.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's laughable I'm afraid.

I think they've made a mess of this and it's time we stripped away virtually all restrictions.  

I believe you. And I believe others when they say they same.

However, enough people who feel this way will still vote for them in May which allows them to get away with it.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I believe you. And I believe others when they say they same.

However, enough people who feel this way will still vote for them in May which allows them to get away with it.

I wonder if you get strange people who think there might be some other issues in the whole wide world.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wonder if you get strange people who think there might be some other issues in the whole wide world.

Except covid has been the only show in town for two years, with the Scottish Government utterly taking the piss for at least the past six months of that period. Maybe if they drop this charade once and for all, then we can finally get on with those 'other issues'.

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Clearly not that much of an issue if you vote like a clapping seal for a party who decided any such issues were at least £1bn less important than appearing to care more.

For context, £1bn is roughly 2.5% of the entire Scottish budget.

Edited by Todd_is_God

37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's actually tailed off a fair bit.

Some people in the outside world have spotted it.

When your "some people" includes any elected SNP politician then it may matter.  

Looking forward to the referendum in 2029, when we finally see Covid down to single digit infections annually in Scotland and Nicola finally suggesting that the pandemic is over.