Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My mum was at her dentist last week, and they told her that from April 4th there is a big shift back to normal, and they will send out check up letters. 

Literally just had to fight tooth and nail (you see what I did?) to get an appointment. Receptionist hit me with “Oh I’ll need to check you’re still registered here you haven’t been for a couple of years”. 

Like, what part of “global pandemic” and dentists being among the first c***s to shut-up-shop are you forgetting ya silly moo?!

40 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Still can't get a routine check up at the dentist "because covid"

Absolute fucking nonsense.

They literally have no choice still.

Forced to wear PP3 Masks when conducting aerosol treatments.  Still forced to have dead time as said aerosols settle.

However only issued tiny quantities of said masks issued daily by NHS Scotland.  That equals very few appointments.

You want service in medium term you will be forced Private my friend.  You then pay for the masks so they can see you.

It is a weird place when you can't get an appointment but in reality (If you want) you can.

Most of the NHS (Goodguys not the corps) Dentists do not like the current system but arms are tied.

Best thing to do is invest in a decent sonic toothbrush and most people would never actually need to go.

Edited by superbigal

26 minutes ago, superbigal said:

They literally have no choice still.

Forced to wear PP3 Masks when conducting aerosol treatments.  Still forced to have dead time as said aerosols settle.

However only issued tiny quantities of said masks issued daily by NHS Scotland.  That equals very few appointments.

You want service in medium term you will be forced Private my friend.  You then pay for the masks so they can see you.

It is a weird place when you can't get an appointment but in reality (If you want) you can.

Most of the NHS (Goodguys not the corps) Dentists do not like the current system but arms are tied.

Best thing to do is invest in a decent sonic toothbrush and most people would never actually need to go.

The difference is night and day.  Took me over 3 months to get a checkup at my NHS dentist.  The treatment I need after the checkup is being done by a private only dentist (which is a sister company of the dentists that accepts NHS patents).  Private dentist gets you in after about a week.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Still can't get a routine check up at the dentist "because covid"

Absolute fucking nonsense.

I was shocked when I phoned up at the start of last month and got my check-up within a fortnight. Next yin not for 12 months instead of six, though, obv.

Tbf, if the pandemic in Scotland has taught us anything it's that dentists are truly awful people.

22 hours ago, virginton said:

No fewer than three purple pellets on a single Scotrail service today trying to stem the tide of non mask wearing. Followed by Scotrail cancelling a subsequent service blaming a 'lack of staff' and the shan variant. 

Covid is just a pathetic excuse for utterly incompetent customer service now and so the restrictions need to be binned. 

It really strikes me just how much the scottish government need to prolong covid to cover how much they are cutting provision in the public sector. NHS in particular, the cuts to services is staggering and by hiding behind ‘cos covid and that’ as an excuse they can avoid scrutiny longer. 

I was shocked when I phoned up at the start of last month and got my check-up within a fortnight. Next yin not for 12 months instead of six, though, obv.
Tbf, if the pandemic in Scotland has taught us anything it's that dentists are truly awful people.
You really are a despicable character with no redeeming qualities.
The pandemic has taught us that.

7 hours ago, Donathan said:

This is how it worked in England on both occasions that mandatory face coverings were removed. The first week, a majority still wear them. By week two it’s 50-50. After a month you’re talking 15%-20% wearing them. 

I'm in France just now, where people seem to have taken a different approach to that in England. They're still mandatory on public transport and helathcare settings, but not anywhere else as of last week. I'd put wearing in shops etc. at about 5-10% - they are pretty much gone. I was surprised at that given how they usually reduce gradually. 

Heathrow, which has only just removed them, was about 70% masked at bag drop, but in the departure lounge was more 50-50, presumably as people realised they didn't need them. Still had to wear one on the plane,  unfortunately, but we're getting there. 

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Two years ago today the first lockdown was announced.

Halcyon days.  Out once a day.  Crossing the street to avoid people.  Clapping outside every Thursday.  Buying 96 toilet rolls.

Only thing I miss was going for drives on empty roads and sticking my work badge in the car just incase the threat of being pulled over was true, which we know now was only guidance and not law!

oh and on the 99p petrol having a full tank for next to nothing.

Despite the sharp rise in patients in hospital with Covid, fewer of them are requiring intensive care treatment than in the past.

This is partly because Omicron is believed to be milder than previous strains such as Delta, while most people have been vaccinated and doctors have better treatments for the disease.

However, people with Covid still need to be kept separate from other patients to limit the spread of infection - something that puts pressure on ward capacity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60846692

If only there was some sort of alternative way for hospitals to rationally handle a mild infection that the vast majority of people have been vaccinated for, as opposed to their ebola-level 2020 protocols. 

Best keep those mask mandates though just in case!

Edited by vikingTON

Yeah, when are we actually going to start giving this now shan virus the same treatment we do any other, given you know:

This 'infection control' is clearly not what we do for influenza, RSV, gastrointestinal viruses, etc. So much of the population has had Covid, are going to get it multiple times, and are likely to be vaccinated/boosted anyway. What exactly is 'The Science' doing in this situation? How is continuing with this setup helping hospitals? Likewise if staff are still staying off if there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. It is an absurd, self-fulfilling prophecy. In any case, hospital pressure should naturally start to ease as we progress through spring and into summer, but this is something that urgently needs addressed going into next winter.

Another issue is that the NHS has been fetishised in the same way the military has in America - even more so in the last two years.

When it works and you get the service your taxes pay for, there’s almost an expectation that you have to act like your accumulator has come in or that you’ve had a stroke of good fortune.

NHS pressure shouldn’t be headline news or a particular consideration for the wider public, and if it is being talked about should be from the perspective of discussions around government funding rather than cranking up the COVID fear factor based on scenes from Bergamo two years ago.

Correct.

Any organisation that is perceived (wrongly) to be free is taken advantage of by users.

Surely its time for some kind of limited privatisation to be introduced with a mix of pay as you go, insurance and government paying.

Cant be beyond the wit of man to devise a system that works based on ‘best practice’ from throughout the world?

Been down in England all week and it's notable how much further down the road to normality they are.

Barely a mask in sight, very few remaining posters etc from during the time of restrictions, and not a mention of cases / hospital numbers on the news anywhere.

The SG absolutely could move on from the last two years fairly easily if they chose to. Which means, quite clearly, they are choosing to not let go.

I didn’t realise that lateral flows are all but stopped in Scotland. I thought the SG had said they would continue to provide them regardless of what the UKG did. Pharmacies no longer stock them, and you can’t order online, so testing is back to having to go to a test centre if you have symptoms I assume.

Feel a bit shite today so was going to get some tests but as I’m literally not able to I’ll just have to treat it like any normal cold.

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/24/scientists-wrong-covid-virus-experts

And there it is. The Brass Neck of the fucking Millennium award goes to Devi Sridhar, for her why oh why can't other scientists just admit they were wrong?!! hot take.

12a4n8.jpg.f9796768529dbd8d383777ce1ae6d81b.jpg

How could she have typed this with a straight face?

"The overall need is to be proven “right” for oneself and a small group of followers"

46 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Been down in England all week and it's notable how much further down the road to normality they are.

Barely a mask in sight, very few remaining posters etc from during the time of restrictions, and not a mention of cases / hospital numbers on the news anywhere.

The SG absolutely could move on from the last two years fairly easily if they chose to. Which means, quite clearly, they are choosing to not let go.

Yeah, but the English infection rate is far higher than Scotland's.

Oh.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

The Simps will be along momentarily to tell us that really, there's not much of a difference! We're not even at the point in Scotland yet that England were at last July ffs - that's how bad it is. Even when the tests and contact tracing wind down due to no more funding, and the masks are forced from law, you just know shite like social distancing stickers/signs and plastic screens will persist here.

58 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/24/scientists-wrong-covid-virus-experts

And there it is. The Brass Neck of the fucking Millennium award goes to Devi Sridhar, for her why oh why can't other scientists just admit they were wrong?!! hot take.

Good timing for a wee update from Devi's favourite, South Korea. Oh dear.

Also this:

All that money she wanted printed to fund her pipe dream now coming home to roost. Who could have thought! She is a complete joke and a fraud who should be sacked from any government advisory role when her views can influence policy.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Haven't seen anyone defending that article on Twitter except for her cult followers.