2019-2020 Relegation Play Off

To compare us coming back from 3-1 down to beating East Fife to your win against QOS is almost as laughable as calling us and East Kilbride average. Fact is your club has went pro out of fear for what lies beneath. Teams like Kelty, Bonnyrigg, BSC, East Kilbride & East Stirlingshire all pose a threat to the future league status of clubs like Queens Park. Nothing average about it.
Not like you to be a bit touchy.

Apologies for butting in but I stumbled across this thread and given the Mo’s history I thought I’d give you my thoughts .. for what they’re worth. Hate to say it but as things stand I doubt that Brechin would beat any of the teams they’re going to meet in the play offs. Can’t see them picking up enough points to avoid it. So, which team will go up? Bonnyrigg deservedly beat us in the cup .. but given we’d pretty much a reserve team out I wouldn’t read too much into that. On paper Kelty have a team that’s bottom half League 1. Brora .. no idea .. but the HL isn’t as good as some would have you believe ... and I very much doubt if Brora could maintain a team in the SPFL. So, if I was to put money on it .. it would be Kelty in League 2 next year.

6 hours ago, gogsy said:

By that reckoning that must mean a  Cowdenbeath team  nine points ahead of Stenhousemuir with two games in hand must be a much  better team than Stenhousemuir.:unsure2:

The league table would indicate that, yes. What's your point caller?

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

In the interests of fairness so do Stirling Albion. But they also have a fairly good support (it really should be more but OF glory hunters etc)

Maybe you should just flog Glebe Park to Angus Council as a community asset, they can stick in a 4G and look after the facilities. Hell, you could even run it for them as Haddington Athletic run the 4G pitch in Haddington. 

Angus Council already have a 4G pitch in Brechin  so that avenue is fucked.  

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
4 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:
To compare us coming back from 3-1 down to beating East Fife to your win against QOS is almost as laughable as calling us and East Kilbride average. Fact is your club has went pro out of fear for what lies beneath. Teams like Kelty, Bonnyrigg, BSC, East Kilbride & East Stirlingshire all pose a threat to the future league status of clubs like Queens Park. Nothing average about it.

Not like you to be a bit touchy.

Am I wrong?

48 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Everyone assumes it will be Brechin. If they beat Queens Park tomorrow and us on Saturday, they might only be two points behind Albion Rovers. It’s not over yet.

That’s a fair point. All you have to do is look at last season. Everyone was convinced it was Albion Rovers who were heading for the drop zone. But they finished the season strongly just as the arse fell out of Berwick Rangers season.

1 minute ago, Jerry Macguire said:

That’s a fair point. All you have to do is look at last season. Everyone was convinced it was Albion Rovers who were heading for the drop zone. But they finished the season strongly just as the arse fell out of Berwick Rangers season.

We can but hope. 🥺

20 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Says the boy who’s team got pumped from an average EoS team and who have been dross for years 🤔😂

Yeah. We deserved to lose to Broxburn and we were dross for a few years when we were in the relegation play offs.  However, I don't think Kelty will make it to league 2. I don't think they are good enough, partly down to the manager they have. Only time will tell. As I said, the tough games are about to begin.

Edited by PELE

11 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

I know from talking to fans of other SHFL sides that a trip to Glebe Park would be high on the agenda,I suppose with it being a different away ground to visit is a big draw.

The SHFL is the best and easiest way back for City to the SPFL as the LL is only gonna get tougher with each passing year.

Bit to go yet though,could still save themselves from the playoffs or win the final vs Brora,Kelty or Bonnyrigg but as I said the latter are some outfit.

Agree. If Brechin do end up in the Highland League, it will be an easier route back than the Lowland League would be just now. Also, Bonnyrigg do look the best out of the three. Kelty a bit fortunate again, like last season, in that the challengers (Bonnyrigg) are playing catch up (not as many games as LTHV had to cram in) and Kelty get the home game first again.

9 hours ago, gogsy said:

To be fair to Kelty they managed to knock Annan out the cup despite being down to ten men after 25 minutes. If you are claiming that as a draw (which is fair enough) then that's a result that Cowdenbeath have only bettered at Galabank once in their last seven league games there. ;) I could point out of the current Kelty squad the following players didn't even start that game. Husband and Linton (both subs), Austin and Easton (both injured) Scobbie,Humphrey, Flynn, Reid and Tidser (not at club at that time). Auchinleck also pumped the team currently running away with league 2 as well.

Auchinleck pumped Kelty. They didn't pump Cove. They scored at the end of a game in which Cove dominated and didn't take their chances. I think Kelty would have more chance if they had a different manager. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the two games against Bonnyrigg and two against BSC.

19 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I still wouldn’t be too stunned if Brechin manage to get out of this and Albion Rovers are sucked in.

Think the two games against us will be crucial. The way we are playing just now, Rovers would have been gutted that last night's game was postponed.

17 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

We beat a full time QOS team two leagues above us back when we were still amateur. To say the comparison is laughable is nonsense. That aside, I never called anyone average . I also know fine well why we have turned pro, what you said is just one of a few reasons. I just wish we had done it sooner. However, unlike some, I'm not getting carried away after a few wins.

Edited by Mick1867

1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

We beat a full time QOS team two leagues above us back when we were still amateur. To say the comparison is laughable is nonsense. That aside, I never called anyone average . I also know fine well why we have turned pro, what you said is just one of a few reasons. I just wish we had done it sooner. However, unlike some, I'm not getting carried away after a few wins.

No that was Neilly but when I called him on it you were the one jumping in with your ridiculous comparison. You might have been amateur at the time of your victory but let's face it your club has access to resources and funding us non league clubs can only dream of. For now anyway.

Don't think I'm getting carried away after a few wins either. Look at our track record over the last 3 seasons. More than a few wins and something alien to a lot of SPFL club's. Progress

Brechin mewling to the SPFL and SFA to move the boundary between the LL and HL to ensure that BRECHIN are relegated to the Lowland league is reason enough to hope they vanish into the Highland League never to return.
Don't care who replaces them, just bin them and lets get progressive ambitious clubs into the SPFL to replace the deadwood. Hopefully the likes of perennial bottom league club Stirling and Albion Rovers will be next.

I wonder where these "progressive ambitious clubs" will be in 10 or 20 years.

Will they be like "progressive" Gretna? Gone!

Will they be like "ambitious" East Kilbride? Mid-table lowland League.

Where will some of these clubs be when the novelty of the higher leagues wears out or the funding runs out?

Many will end up with very small supports even by League two standards.

Give it 20 years and we'll be desperate for these new deadwood clubs to be replaced by "ambitious, progressive clubs"

I'd choose a "deadwood" Brechin City (promoted to the championship within the last 4 years) over any glorified vanity project.

16 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Where will some of these clubs be when the novelty of the higher leagues wears out or the funding runs out?

Give it 20 years and we'll be desperate for these new deadwood clubs to be replaced by "ambitious, progressive clubs"

I'd choose a "deadwood" Brechin City (promoted to the championship within the last 4 years) over any glorified vanity project.

You are so out of touch mate. If your club gets it's wish and you do end up in the LL, your in for one almighty shock.

Absolutely nailed.

How exactly are these clubs any different to Elgin City, Peterhead and Annan Athletic that entered the SFL/SPFL? Are Edinburgh City and Cove Rangers included in this criticism?

Oh, and in 20 years people won't be desperate for deadwood clubs to be replaced. There will have been 20 years of a pyramid in place during that time so anyone that would be classed as that would drop out during that time.

30 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Given that Brechin have spent more than half of the last ten years out of the bottom division I'd hardly call them deadwood. Sure they've hit a bad couple of years but this could be anybody tbh. I certainly hope they survive as Glebe Park is one of the best trips in Scottish football, I'd hate to think I'd never see another match there.