Final fantasy VII Remake - Demo available now

Doctor

Just now, harkinsbaldpatch said:
2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:
I am gonna struggle so bad with the fighting system

I'm struggling with it, too much going on at the same time, might go back to the turn based stuff.

can you do that?

I've kept it to the default combat system and I'm pretty used to it now.

I am loving this. It's been massively fleshed out but there isn't anything that feels like filler. I'm about six hours in and haven't yet

bombed the second reactor

It's lived up to everything I've hoped for.

My only gripe (and it's a fairly minor one) is that there seems to be a bug affecting the textures of some objects. Hopefully it gets patched soon but it's a minor bugbear at worst.

OK so after playing a fair bit more (well a wee bit)  I am getting more used to it.

Here's a few moans in spoilers

Spoiler

I am pretty annoyed at the small changes they are making. That's all.

On 14/04/2020 at 22:37, Busta Nut said:

OK so after playing a fair bit more (well a wee bit)  I am getting more used to it.

Here's a few moans in spoilers

Hide contents

I am pretty annoyed at the small changes they are making. That's all.

Wait till you finish it. 

1356799196_giphy(15).gif.2a26ee543ec14f0e74cfb45bef5ec222.gif

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Wait till you finish it. imageproxy.php?img=&key=bd729091e51e729aimageproxy.php?img=&key=bd729091e51e729a

1356799196_giphy(15).gif.2a26ee543ec14f0e74cfb45bef5ec222.gif

Spoiler

I have gone a bit further and it's a true remake. the basic premise is their but it's a complete jig about. I dunno why I expected any different.

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

As far as Sector 7 and just done the first junk yard mini mission. Really enjoying this and the subtle nods to the original.

Went classic battle system. It's fine, totally fine when used to it.

Tifa is my dream.

Criticism is that it just 'plays the game for you'.

Classic battle system is the only way I'd get into it.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Gaz said:

I completed it the other night.

It is an absolute triumph. A masterpiece.

I'm at the glut of side quests right before the final stretch and I love it. I didn't play the original so a lot of this stuff is new to me but they've nailed the stakes, voice-acting and general writing far better than I would've hoped for going in. The combat was a bit button-mashy at first (and I guess still is against weaker enemies) but there's far more strategy than I expected there to be.

Also the music is class. The ravey stuff when you're flying about the Collapsed Expressway is great.

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'm at the glut of side quests right before the final stretch and I love it. I didn't play the original so a lot of this stuff is new to me but they've nailed the stakes, voice-acting and general writing far better than I would've hoped for going in. The combat was a bit button-mashy at first (and I guess still is against weaker enemies) but there's far more strategy than I expected there to be.

Also the music is class. The ravey stuff when you're flying about the Collapsed Expressway is great.

I think there were loads of concerns that by turning a 3-5 hour stretch of the original game into a 40-hour game there would be a lot of filler. I didn't find anything was padded out at all. All the sidequests added to the feeling that these were real areas with real people, and the enhanced elements from the original story were brilliant.

The music is phenomenal. The original soundtrack is one of my favourite things to listen to.

I'm in Wall Market right now, about to try get a dress for Cloud. Wall Market feels absolutely how it would have looked--sleazy, dodgy and full of the worst kind.

Absolutely love it so far, the battle system isn't as bad as I imagined it would be. Hell House gave me the toughest battle yet, was wondering if that would appear at some point!

Love the introduction of new characters to bring a bigger sense of world and the side quests are all fun.

Also really enjoy collecting the cds. Hearing the Gold Saucer music popped me big time.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm in Wall Market right now, about to try get a dress for Cloud. Wall Market feels absolutely how it would have looked--sleazy, dodgy and full of the worst kind.

Absolutely love it so far, the battle system isn't as bad as I imagined it would be. Hell House gave me the toughest battle yet, was wondering if that would appear at some point!

Love the introduction of new characters to bring a bigger sense of world and the side quests are all fun.

Also really enjoy collecting the cds. Hearing the Gold Saucer music popped me big time.

The Hell House fight was probably one of the most fun parts of the game for me!

DID SOMEBODY GET THE NUMBER OF THAT HOUSE

15 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I don't know if you got to the end of Wallmarket (Spoilers for later in the Cloud sneaking in to Corneo's mansion mission 

Spoiler

Cloud shutting down any comment from Tifa on his dress and full make up with "Nailed it, I know. Let's go" had me in bits.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Not as far as you guys but the best ting for me is when Barrett does the "duh duh duh duh, duh duh, duh-duh!" winning fight music.

It's still fairly charming after the 100th time he's done it. I can't dislike most of the cheesy shit in this game, it's too good. 

Finished this and bought the original immediately as I want to keep existing in this world a bit longer. Thought the remake was tremendous and would've been 5 stars if it wasn't for some poor pacing in the final stretches with the 9 side quests and Hojo's dungeon just sapping a load of momentum to the point I finished about 6 hours later than I expected.

I kinda called the Whispers early on but was made up to see that they were what I thought they were as I'm into meta shit and it's explicitly that. They've blown the entire franchise open now so I'm interested to see where they go next. It might end up being a total disaster but at least the tracks have been taken away and we can speculate on where they go from here.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this yesterday. Forgive me for my thoughts will be all over the place here, but I'll do my best. 

Spoiler

Absolutely loved it, completely loved what they did to bring life to Midgar and this universe. 

They got the characters spot on if you ask me. Cloud's moody but eventually comes round, Barrett is the tough guy etc. Even appreciate how Red XIII was portrayed and didn't mind for one second that he wasn't a "playable" character. 

The storyline was completely fine, everything felt like the original in a sense that in the beginning you feel a tiny part in this whole universe and upon leaving Midgar you have a sense of the depth of what is still to come. 

Don't mind how some parts dragged, like the sewers and Hojo's lab as it's fine to have the classic "dungeons" in a sense. 

Being able to wander around Sector 7 and Wall Market was brilliant. They got the atmosphere for Wall Market spot on for me, seedy and not a place to wander around on your own if you can't handle yourself and your desires. The dance-off with Cloud was unexpectedly hilarious. Need to go back and get all the dresses though! Was hoping for more Tifa/Aeris screentime here! 😂

REALLY excited for what they could do going forward, desperate to see how Junon, Cosmo Canyon and Wutai are shown not to mention the Gold Saucer! Also his fall into the lifestream, Cid, I can't list enough of what I want to see redone! 

The ending was fine too, they needed to have a big ending battle that meant something I understand that, since we won't be going back here for a few years and they did it perfectly well. Obviously the story is tweaked from the original but they haven't done it a disservice, the Whispers make sense. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone played INTERmission? 

I've just replayed the base game on PS5 with the upgrade and the trade off between a locked 60fps and full 4k aside it is absolutely stunning. Opted for the full 4k over locked 60fps and it has a good claim for being the best looking game on the market.  Just about to start the DLC with Yuffie but heard nothing but good things about Yuffie plays.