League Reconstruction 20/21 season

On 17/03/2020 at 18:26, Falcor Roar said:

For 14 teams it would need to have a 6/8 split. I've been calling for it for a number of years as a way of redressing the current unbalanced split while offering top flight teams slightly more variety without diluting the Championship too much. 

7/7.

Why have some teams playing more games than others. ?

And an odd number of games.

Just now, EdTheDuck said:

odd number of games?

Assume hes got co fused with the million of people suggesting a 6/8 split.

Any league number apart from 12 (or 16), doesnt work.

14 youd either have half the league playing more games, or a set up where teams arent playing every week. Considering fans complain about not being able to get a "habit" of going to games due to the myriad of different kick off dates/times, I'm not sure actively making them stay at home before a Summer break is a great plan.

On 17/03/2020 at 18:29, Billy Jean King said:

14 teams, split after everyone plays H and A with top 6 and bottom 8. Further H & A games so all in each half play equal number H & A and in theory the addition games in the bottom 8 compensates for only 2 v the arse cheeks. Straight 2 up 2 down or current play off scenario TBD.

7/7 gives an even number of games and and even number home and away ,32. I take your point re extra games for the bottom 8 because of losing games vs the OF, but everybody in one league should play the same number of games IMHO.

On 17/03/2020 at 18:29, Billy Jean King said:

14 teams, split after everyone plays H and A with top 6 and bottom 8. Further H & A games so all in each half play equal number H & A and in theory the addition games in the bottom 8 compensates for only 2 v the arse cheeks. Straight 2 up 2 down or current play off scenario TBD.

40 games for the bottom 8,too many.

On 17/03/2020 at 20:45, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

20 teams.  No split.  

Fair enough idea,same number of games as now ,but 2 problems . Not enough quality teams in Scotland for that size of league and far too many teams floating about in the middle of the league with nothing to play for for probably at least the last third of the season ,if not longer .

On 18/03/2020 at 15:05, Mr. X said:

Yes, I forgot clubs like St. Johnstone rely on playing the Old Firm as often as possible.

Hilarious isn't it ?

I thought I'd seen pretty much everything ,but a St Johnstone fan calling Championship teams dross doesn't just take the biscuit ,it takes an entire McVities factory. 

8 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Hilarious isn't it ?

I thought I'd seen pretty much everything ,but a St Johnstone fan calling Championship teams dross doesn't just take the biscuit ,it takes an entire McVities factory. 

It's only hilarious if you genuinely think St Johnstone, with over £2m cash in the bank, and who've been a top flight club for over a decade including a Scottish Cup win, "rely on Old Firm fans" because we trialled giving them 3 stands for a season?

The reality is a total lack of appeal meant home fans weren't going (we had less home fans than season ticket holders for these games last season), so were actually losing money from the home support in these fixtures.

Financial sense to erase a loss making exercise was the reason, not because we "rely" on them.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

14 youd either have half the league playing more games, or a set up where teams arent playing every week. Considering fans complain about not being able to get a "habit" of going to games due to the myriad of different kick off dates/times, I'm not sure actively making them stay at home before a Summer break is a great plan.

It works in Denmark,  Romania and Greece who all have 14 team top divisions. 

9 minutes ago, Joe DiMaggio said:

Have you spoken to their fans to gauge their opinions like?

Or are you just assuming since they have that system that it "works"?

7 hours ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

7/7.

Why have some teams playing more games than others. ?

And an odd number of games.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

7/7 means that a team has to sit a game out every round. Perhaps it's an option to consider though.  

6/8 has 2 advantages. The 4 extra games for the bottom half clubs mitigates against the loss of revenue from gate receipts against the larger clubs that would end up in the top half.  Also the teams in the top half are more likely to be in the latter stages of cup competitions anyway and have extra games to play. 

I'm not sure exactly why such a system would necessitate fans staying at home or the 'tables' finishing at radically different times considering the total difference would be 4 games? The EPL and EFL has a difference of 8 games + playoff rounds and its not an issue. 

The main drawback of a league of 14 is that the split needs to happen mid February. If you're in 7th on GD at that point then your remaining games lack value. A jump in prize money for 7th compared to 8th would help to some degree. If there were 4 Euro places to be won through the league then you could include 7th in a playoff for that spot however, I believe we will only get an additional Euro place the season after next and some might argue whether that system is sporting. Personally I think it would work well provided higher placing gained home advantage. 

The issue with 16 teams is getting the magic 4 OF games which, like it or not, are key to getting a decent TV deal. Do you play a split round 3 and then a 'bonus' 1st vs 2nd playoff? That's the only way I can think to make that work and you still end up with the fixture imbalances that we have under the current setup. It also dilutes the Championship a tad too much in my opinion. 

The problem for a country of Scotland's size is that there are disadvantages to every size of league. That's why other similar nations also have wacky setups.10 is too repetitive. 12 has unbalanced fixtures. 14 split is too early. 16 not enough games or unbalanced fixtures. 18 dilutes the championship too much, meaningless mid table games and not attractive for tv....

On 18/03/2020 at 23:53, ftk said:

Need to increase the league sizes and reduce the amount of times teams play each other as it's boring.

14-14-14 play each other 3 times 39 games

Or

16-16 play each other twice 30 games plus champions league style league cup. Another guaranteed 6 games. Total 36 games. Regional leagues underneath top 2 leagues.

Second one is the best idea.

34 minutes ago, Joe DiMaggio said:

The Danish playoff system is mental if I understand it rightly. 

The qualifying playoff is split into two groups, with the teams that finished the regular season in 7th, 10th, 11th, and 14th in one group and those finishing 8th, 9th, 12th, and 13th in the other. Each group plays home-and-away within its group. The top two teams from each group then enter a knockout tournament, with each match over two legs. If the Danish Cup winner is among the top two finishers in either playoff group, it is withdrawn from the knockout playoff and its opponent automatically advances to the tournament final. The winner of that tournament faces the third-place (or fourth-place) team from the championship playoff in a one-off match, with the winner entering the Europa League in the first qualifying round.

The bottom two teams from each group then contest a relegation playoff with several steps, centered on a separate four-team knockout playoff, also consisting totally of two-legged matches:

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have you spoken to their fans to gauge their opinions like?

Or are you just assuming since they have that system that it "works"?

Eh, no that's not how this works. As part of a constructive debate do you have some sources you would like to share? 

Also your wee quotation marks man. So fucking boring. 
Tim

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Constructive debate?

You're a bunch of, probably, middle aged men mewling about an anonymous football forum suggesting absolutely insane reconstructions to try and save your shite football team from a well deserved relegation/get your shite football team into the top flight for the first time this millennium.

The current set up is fine and the precise number of zero Hearts fans gave a single f**k about it before they realised it was literally their only hope of staying in the top flight, so forgive me if I cant be arsed having 8 million different suggestions, all which make the division look even worse, being flounced on here and repeated every two days.

3EFN.gif.7bdaefb9238af77888d53302926d6b5a.gif

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Constructive debate?

You're a bunch of, probably, middle aged men mewling about an anonymous football forum suggesting absolutely insane reconstructions to try and save your shite football team from a well deserved relegation/get your shite football team into the top flight for the first time this millennium.

The current set up is fine and the precise number of zero Hearts fans gave a single f**k about it before they realised it was literally their only hope of staying in the top flight, so forgive me if I cant be arsed having 8 million different suggestions, all which make the division look even worse, being flounced on here and repeated every two days.

I'm 33. Not that its relevant. A bit weird to bring that up. I check in a couple of times a day to see what folk are saying but its the same pish from you over and over again.

You're the one that is on this thread all day every day spamming it up with your shite. I wouldn't mind so much but you're also as thick as two planks and boring to boot as pointed out numerous times by numerous posters. 

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm almost certain there was a "Sunderland til I die" type show being filmed about Hearts this season.

It was mentioned in our match thread v them when Levein was punted.

Aye - https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/inside-tynecastle-documentary

Hearts til they die.

Edited by Coventry Saint

3 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

I'm 33. Not that its relevant. A bit weird to bring that up. I check in a couple of times a day to see what folk are saying but its the same pish from you over and over again.

You're the one that is on this thread all day every day spamming it up with your shite. I wouldn't mind so much but you're also as thick as two planks and boring to boot as pointed out numerous times by numerous posters. 

I'm in it all the time because its filled with morons proclaiming, every single hour of every day, that bigger leagues are the answer.

14 team league is perfect!!!! say hearts fans

16 team league would be wonderful!!!! say Ayr fans

18 team league sounds great!!!! comes the Partick fans

20 team league is the answer!!!! say Falkirk fans

Its boring as f**k.

Everyone knows the current set up works better. Everybody knows a bigger league would end up boring as f**k by this point, yet everybody just blindly backs whatever plan they think is best for their own club and proclaims it's down to the good of everyone.

Who actually wants a league system where the league is cut into four quarters during January?

Edited by RandomGuy.