Conquering Britain & Ireland

February 2022

Ionu2HX.png

Well, we're still unbeaten, but it feels like a defeat is firmly on its way. We threw away a 2-0 lead against Undy, only just scraped past Pontardawe (despite them being bottom of the league) and should have lost against C&C.  Charlie Caton is slightly carrying us, he's scored or assisted almost half the goals we've scored, and we'd have 1 point this month without his goals.

Haverfordwest absolutely battered us - I have no idea how we managed to get to extra time, let alone penalties. We held our nerve there though, and have made it through to the semi's. The fact that we haven't had to play a single side from a higher league has helped somewhat. We're the lowest ranked club left in the cup, so we face Premiership side Newtown in the semi.

4oNPM9Q.png

Still top, just. Ridiculous that we havem't been able to pull away from the teams below us, but it's the draws that are fucking us, as predicted.

March 2022

2cSyBR1.png

Well, I knew a loss was coming. Really frustrating, we missed a 93rd minute penalty in that game, hit the post a couple of times and generally played quite well - I suppose given that we've been played crap for most of the last month and didn't lose makes up for it, but still.  The rest of the month went very well, a good comeback against Ammanford was the trickiest game we faced. 

708v8OA.png

Still top, 3 games left. We're playing Briton Ferry, Llanelli and Haverfordwest, which could certainly be easier. C&C play already relegated Pontypridd, Cwmbran Celtic and Llantwit Major, so not a huge chance of any slip ups there, and looks like I'll need 3 wins.

April 2022 (part 1)

CBM8tse.png

First off, we're into the final of the Welsh Cup, having beaten Newtown in extra time. It was a terrible game, the only highlights were some crosses that didn't go to anyone, and some long range shots that didn't look at all like going in. Our goal was brilliant though - they got a free kick and I feared the worst, but it was headed clear to Spruce who ran the length of the field, vut it back to Quirk who shat himself at the thought of shooting, passed it to Livermore who smashed it in from the edge of the box. We spent the rest of the game soaking up pressure, and we were through.

The league games were every bit as tense, took the lead 3 times against Briton Ferry, they equalised in the 91st minute and we were able to go up a score 2 goals from nowhere. Llanelli were our match as well, but one lf their centre halves inexplicably dribbled the ball about 2 yards out from goal, and Caton slide tackled the ball in. If it had been against us, I'd have had the laptop out the window.

So, we've done our job, how about C&C...

VAKtbVz.png

THEY'VE DROPPED POINTS! We've still to face Haverfordwest, while they face  Cwmbran Celtic, but going into the final day the table looks like this...

EHQjwL6.png

Barring a 9 goal or more victory for C&C, a point against Haverfordwest will see us promoted.  Even if we lose, there's a chance - unless it's a pumping in which case we'll fall behind Haverfordwest as well.

I've also got the Welsh Cup final to look forward to...

Spoiler

5Fg2jcb.png

Oh that's fun, it's 8 times Cup winners, 11 times League Cup winners, and 14 times League Champions so  I'm optimistic.

Just kidding, I expect to get absolutely fucked. They'd won the top flight before the end of February, and are on for a treble....

April 2022 (part 2)

So, just a point needed, and we've got Haverfordwest still to face...

Spoiler

eFHkaks.png

Ah. It would appear that we've fucked it. A 4 goal win for Haverfordwest would have seen them go top, so the fact that we were able to hold out in the second half is a miracle. Worst performance of the season, comfortably, and it has really opened the door to C&C. For some reason, we played on the Friday night so we're needed to wait another day to see what happened with C&C...

Spoiler

QdKNYvn.png]

But they've only gone and fucked it! They'd only failed to score in 3 games all season, and then finished with 2 0-0's. Absolutely fucking magic, and we're going up! 

Wj2vRwd.png

bqpVUrN.png

Welsh Cup Final

aJAj8mO.png

Pretty much as expected.  It would have been nice, but we were completely outplayed, the only highlight we had was a disallowed goal after 5 minutes, which wasn't even slightly controversial. It's been a good season, but TNS are a massive step up from us, and indeed from everyone in Wales. 

Still, it's been a great season and reaching the final at all was pretty huge. I'm still going to have a look and see what jobs are available over the summer (currently none of interest) as I think we'll be getting relegated next season and I'd quite like to avoid that, and leave on a high.

Away from Wales, the only new champions this season was Larne, really annoyingly, as that now rules them out.

And Knockbreda got relegated...

13 minutes ago, craigiemack said:

You better get used to drawing TNS in every single cup, I think I managed 3 years in Wales and they put me out of 5/6 cups, the other one I won emoji23.png

I can't wait... In the 3 seasons since I started the save, they've won the league twice, the Cup twice and the League Cup twice.

vxwK9g3.png

Well, the Aberystwyth job came up - they'd come 5th the season before, their remaining wage budget was the same as the entire Caerau Ely budget, and frankly they seemed like a better shout. However, my board were wanting too much compensation.

Spoiler

66uESvu.png

NmYgtPv.png

Disloyal as f**k and a massive dick move? You're fucking right it is. In all honestly, the team I had was nowhere near good enough to stay up, I don't want a relegation on my CV, and this is probably one of the bigger jobs in Wales who have never won the top flight, and haven't won the Welsh Cup in over a century. Let's hope that can all change.

This also means that, other than the team, @AsimButtHitsASix was absolutely spot on with his prediction...

The Team

4 stars is Good player for Welsh Premier League, 3 stars is  decent for WPL

msCxJQh.png

I'm only planning on playing one up front, and Morgan Jones looks like he should be more than enough for this season, with Brown a decent backup

McqqyTd.png

Need an improvement on the left wing, and in centre attacking midfield. Definitely need more depth here as well.

ZxPi22O.png

The 2 starting players are decent enough, and there's a lot of guys who can play here, but if I can find an improvement for here then I'll be all over it.

MQ2G4kw.png

A right back and another centre half would be brilliant, but I have some decent players in defence.

G4r0SvA.png

Byrne is acceptable, Coughlan can be back up. Not sure why I have 4 keepers in the first team, so I may try to get rid of Humphreys or Ramsay.

A fair bit to do, but I scouted Aneurin Livermore, who was 5 stars and comfortably the best player at Caerau Ely, and he would be 3 stars here, which leads me to think the squad I have here is certainly better than there.

We're only expected to avoid relegation this season, so I would certainly hope we can achieve that - otherwise I've left Caerau for no reason whatsoever.

Transfers

IC4X0Cg.png

Only one player out. Aiden Lewis was about my 8th choice centre midfielder, so I let him leave. 

efcu8Nr.png

Again, it was a struggle finding players with enough quality to improve the squad. We did manage to bring in two, although I'd have liked a few more.

First up is Craig Clayton, an attacking midfielder with a good first touch and passing, and not a lot else. Still, he's an improvement on anything else I had, and should be a decent acquistion.

Spoiler

QWbDRXh.png

Next up, Kurtis Byrne, formerly of a number of Scottish clubs, and he'll be playing on the left wing for me. Plenty of experience, so should be a good player to have.

Spoiler

Fh8MgeI.png

As always, all the players I bring in are on free transfers anyway, so I may bring in a couple more in the coming months - should anyone with any ability show up.

August 2022

ENs632b.png

A mixed start, shall we say. The draw against TNS was absolutely stolen, think we only had one shot the whole game. And it's also the only goal we've scored in the league that wasn't as the result of a set piece. Still, not a terrible start to the season.

We're also through in the league cup, face Bala in the next round.  TNS got knocked out so it's up for grabs.

PCZH2el.png

Just about where I expected to be. My old team have had a bit of a nightmare opening to the season...

I found that loanees from Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham were the best way to get in quality on the cheap. Cardiff Met Uni also have some good players on amateur deals that can be signed up if I remember right.

1 hour ago, craigiemack said:

I found that loanees from Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and Wrexham were the best way to get in quality on the cheap. Cardiff Met Uni also have some good players on amateur deals that can be signed up if I remember right.

Don't know how I never thought to look at the Welsh teams in the English leagues! Not many of Cardiff Met's players are interested in joining me unfortunately.

September 2022

QswviBT.png

We looked to be hitting a little bit of form at the end of August, and we carried that over brilliantly into September. Morgan Jones had a couple of absolute stormers to start the month. We also beat my old side Caerau pretty comfortably, 1-0 flattered them, and brought it back from 3-0 down against Cardiff Met.

Still in the League Cup as well, we're playing lower league Port Talbot in the next round. 

I also realised that this is the season with the Qatar world cup, so I'll have absolutely packed months, and then nothing at all in December...

kJSsdx8.png

Doing well so far. League splits after 22 games, so half way there for most clubs, and I'd take it looking like this. I think we can safely say that Caerau are heading straight back down - they're conceding at a rate of almost 3 a game so far...

October 2022

SA12uBO.png

Another decent enough month, losses against Connah's Quay, who I just can't seem to work out, and TNS, who are by far the best team in the league. We also thumped Cefn Druids.. We just tore them apart, it was great. A couple of draws to see out the month - should have been beating Carmarthen, but in the end had to rescue a draw late on.

Into the semi final of the league cup as well, and we're the only top flight team left in it. We should really be winning it now.

We now have no league games for 2 months, and only 2 cup games in December. The joys of the Qatar World Cup.

6eVcwFc.png

Still top half, but we're nowhere near winning the league. We've still to play Newtown twice, but our other 3 games are all against sides in the bottom 4 so hopeful we can make it into the top six come the split.

On 15/05/2020 at 17:54, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Win against Britoen Ferry and Llanelli and defeat against Haverfordwest.
C&C beat Pontypridd but unexpectedly draw their final two games. Caerau Ely win the league but the victory is tinged with sadness as the manager jumps ship to Aberystwyth Town

Called it

November & December 2022

QUKxCIa.png

World Cup (won fairly boringly by Brazil) was on for most of these month, so we had no league games. 

We did get through to the next  round of the Welsh cup, and we're in the final of the league cup. Both were very comfortable, and we didn't have to get out of first gear. 

After basically f**k all for 2 months, we now have 7 games scheduled for January, which is swell.

League Cup Final

lkVF6ft.png

Strolled it.. They were pretty pish, and given that we were the only top flight side left in after the quarter finals, this was always on the cards, but still pleasing. We only had one shot on target against us between this and the semi final combined, so was pretty straightforward stuff. Should have been more convincing, but I'll take the win, and the cup to go with it. First bit of major silverware - admittedly stretching the definition of major to its absolute limit...

SqjE7SC.png

74xiS27.png

Apparently, I've had an impressive managerial career...