Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

They've got huge renewable capacity. I'm sure they can guarantee power to profitable enterprises. 

You've never actually been there, have you? They export nearly all of the volta dam power to neighbouring countries in an attempt to keep the books balanced. The whole of Accra goes without power for days at a time.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:
They've got huge renewable capacity. I'm sure they can guarantee power to profitable enterprises. 

You've never actually been there, have you? They export nearly all of the volta dam power to neighbouring countries in an attempt to keep the books balanced. The whole of Accra goes without power for days at a time.

No I've not been there but if they required power for a factory they could directly supply the factory from various renewables. 

Large areas of the USA regularly have brown outs in residential areas but industry gets on just fine. 

No I've not been there but if they required power for a factory they could directly supply the factory from various renewables. 
Large areas of the USA regularly have brown outs in residential areas but industry gets on just fine. 
They already have important factories which aren't getting power and demand is increasing.

We're not talking a few outages a year, it was literally no power every other day for a month at one point. 24hrs on, 24 off by government decree.

I'm not saying it would be impossible to single out a factory and keep the power on to the detriment of others, but it'll never happen. They need to walk before they can run. I wish them the best of luck though as it's a place I'm very fond of.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

They already have important factories which aren't getting power and demand is increasing.

We're not talking a few outages a year, it was literally no power every other day for a month at one point. 24hrs on, 24 off by government decree.

I'm not saying it would be impossible to single out a factory and keep the power on to the detriment of others, but it'll never happen. They need to walk before they can run. I wish them the best of luck though as it's a place I'm very fond of.

Fair enough. 

The status quo is doing very little for them so they have to do something. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that Accra is one of the most expensive places to live in the whole world, would that chime with what you experienced?
Nope. Maybe that's true in one of those surveys for rich immigrants in gated communities though. In Accra I stayed in the same neighbourhood as a furniture shop owned by an uncle of Danny Welbeck, folk there told me they paid $50 a month for their accommodation. Even somewhere like Kumasi people were only paying $30pm. A beer was about a quid. I can't recommend it enough as a destination (not for everyone though, obviously).

Halo Trust: Afghanistan mine clearance workers shot dead 'in cold blood' - BBC News odd story from Afghanistan, with the Afghan government immediately blaming the Taliban and the head of the Halo Trust, a former Brigadier in the British Army, saying that it was the Taliban who drove the attackers off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Geopolitics in the Western world equals genocide of the weak. 

Go tell tell it to the millions of innocents butchered in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen  and so so. 

Far less the child slavery in Tesla mines in Africa. We all need an electric car right? 

The only thing democratic in the west is when the 1% divi up their burgeoning profits. 

Ah but........! 

21 hours ago, Detournement said:

Getting this in here before our own Sino demographic expert turns this into a 1000 word essay. 

Is this meant to be a good news story? 

Loved the Weibo comment along the lines of "No shit you'll stack up old people if the authoritarian government literally restricts you to having 1 child" 

I wonder how many Detournment style posters there are on Chinese social media. 

55 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Is this meant to be a good news story? 

Is it not just another in the long line of imminent-China-collapse stories that the media has been peddling for about 30 years now?

1 hour ago, bendan said:

Is it not just another in the long line of imminent-China-collapse stories that the media has been peddling for about 30 years now?

I dunno it's not a trend I've followed, the article says they're looking to raise the retirement age to roughly where we are now, I don't see how that's a critique on ethos or anything especially if they're also going to be working til late 60s and dying when they're 70 like we do already. 

14 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Morocco and Lesotho still have constitutional monarchies, but apart from that the entire continent of Africa has more modern political systems than our medieval throwback.