Lib Dem leadership

ICTChris

50 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Given a chance to finally put the stain of the coalition behind them and they just jump back in again.

Fair play to them.

I was thinking about this the other day, joining forces with the Tories in 2010 really has f**ked them!

To think this was the same party that wanted rid of Charles Kennedy over the direction the party was going in.

46 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

I was thinking about this the other day, joining forces with the Tories in 2010 really has f**ked them!

To think this was the same party that wanted rid of Charles Kennedy over the direction the party was going in.

UK version of SLAB.  Unless you're the DUP, nothing good will ever come to a party that jumps into bed with the Conservative party.  

Leaders since Clegg: "Sir" Vince Cable, religious-weirdo Thunderbird puppet Tim Farron, minor school prefect Jo "I'm going to be the next Prime Minister you know" Swinson, and now "Sir" Ed Davey, a hard-right, privatise everything, pro-carbon Tory who accidentally picked up the wrong rosette.

A more utterly loathsome political formation it's hard to imagine. Spineless, venal, hypocritical, shape-shifting, irrelevant nonentities, too embarrassed to own their mediocre right-wing tendencies. The genesis of the current clusterfuck we are all in is their enabling Tory government in 2010.

Calling them scumbags is to be over-generous. Thankfully their people-carrier's worth of parliamentarians and an ever-dwindling moronic following of be-sandaled oddballs will circle the plughole of irrelevance relentlessly in the decade ahead.

My absolute favourite LibDems thing is unquestionably Jo Swinson trying to convince us all she was going to be Prime Minister, then losing her seat. Absolutely fantastic stuff. They really are an utterly pointless joke of a party, both north and south of the border.

22 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Leaders since Clegg: "Sir" Vince Cable, religious-weirdo Thunderbird puppet Tim Farron, minor school prefect Jo "I'm going to be the next Prime Minister you know" Swinson, and now "Sir" Ed Davey, a hard-right, privatise everything, pro-carbon Tory who accidentally picked up the wrong rosette.

A more utterly loathsome political formation it's hard to imagine. Spineless, venal, hypocritical, shape-shifting, irrelevant nonentities, too embarrassed to own their mediocre right-wing tendencies. The genesis of the current clusterfuck we are all in is their enabling Tory government in 2010.

Calling them scumbags is to be over-generous. Thankfully their people-carrier's worth of parliamentarians and an ever-dwindling moronic following of be-sandaled oddballs will circle the plughole of irrelevance relentlessly in the decade ahead.

Anything else nice to say about them?

On 27/08/2020 at 13:12, zidane's child said:

They wanted rid of Charles Kennedy beca use he had a drink problem - but don't tell anyone.  The only time I ever saw him was in Victoria Wines in Inverness.  Obviously only there to get change for the bus back to Fort William.

In all fairness he probably had a better sense of how to entice voters to the Lib Dems cause then anyone who came after him.

Nick Clegg joined the coalition in 2010 because it was in the national interest but quickly became Cameron's poodle if that was in the national interest too.  I am using polite language here.

The Lib Dems have great at pursuing the wishy washy vote - "I'm not for them or them or them - .. or them.  2010 wrecked that strategy.

A long way to go before anyone cares to hear what they have to say about anything

34 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

They wanted rid of Charles Kennedy beca use he had a drink problem - but don't tell anyone.  The only time I ever saw him was in Victoria Wines in Inverness.  Obviously only there to get change for the bus back to Fort William.

In all fairness he probably had a better sense of how to entice voters to the Lib Dems cause then anyone who came after him.

Nick Clegg joined the coalition in 2010 because it was in the national interest but quickly became Cameron's poodle if that was in the national interest too.  I am using polite language here.

The Lib Dems have great at pursuing the wishy washy vote - "I'm not for them or them or them - .. or them.  2010 wrecked that strategy.

A long way to go before anyone cares to hear what they have to say about anything

Siding with the Tories in 2010 wasn't what fucked them, there wasn't really another option if they wanted power, it was selling themselves so cheaply. A half arsed PR voting reform referendum that was so limp they couldn't even be bothered to campaign for it, selling out on student fees and the bedroom tax etc, and choosing Tory lite Nick Clegg for a leader in the first place. And then voting for the Brexit referendum, followed by saying they'd ignore the result if they won in December. And now they've chosen the most boring whilst occasionally unhinged politician in Britain to take over from the comic pensioner and the bunny boiler.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Siding with the Tories in 2010 wasn't what fucked them, there wasn't really another option if they wanted power, it was selling themselves so cheaply.

I agree.  Theresa May always looked threatened by the DUP but I don't think Cameron ever felt threatened by Clegg.  They just sat there together with big smiles.  I am surprised they were not holding hands.

It must have been unnerving for their voters who hated the Tories.  I doubt those voters will rush back to them any time soon.

FPTP has been a disaster for the UK.  It makes the Tories look more popular than they really are.  It did the same for Tony Blair.  I still remember Nigel Evans on breakfast TV in 2017 saying "I don't understand what went wrong.  We got 43% of the vote.   That should have given us a landslide".  

51 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

FPTP has been a disaster for the UK.  It makes the Tories look more popular than they really are.  It did the same for Tony Blair.  

Playing devil's advocate here - It also means the SNP get a far bigger percentage of the Scottish seats in the UK parliament than their votes merit, so depending upon your view on independence (i.e. against) it could be deemed a disaster for Scottish voters as well. 

3 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Playing devil's advocate here - It also means the SNP get a far bigger percentage of the Scottish seats in the UK parliament than their votes merit, so depending upon your view on independence (i.e. against) it could be deemed a disaster for Scottish voters as well. 

It also keeps loons like Farage out of Parliament.