Back pain.

Had a bad back for over 40 years and have learned to live with it.  Used to take painkillers but when on them could do anything but worried about what damage I was causing.  Stopped taking them and if you moved a certain way and got pain your did not do that again.

Moderate exercise and hanging down stretches it. Swimming is also good for relieving the pain as the water takes the body's weight.

1 hour ago, Hard Graft said:

hanging down stretches it. 

An inversion table or just they clip on moon boot things? 

I've always had thoughts of getting a table but sceptical if it'll actually be worth it. 

My back has been bad for about 10 yrs now. MRI shows two heneraited discs L4/L5 and L5/S1. I also have Facet joint arthritis at both these levels. I am in my early 40s and don't really carry much excess wait. Symptoms are all over the place tbh. Like Sweeper Dee said, not a day goes by when I'm not in some sort of pain. If one of the disc is bulging, sitting is a c**t.
Standing still is also a c**t. Anything more than 15 mins my back will fatigue and spasm. Exercise is mainly walking or decent amount of cycling, I stretch daily some days it's good others it just irritates back. I have been warned off of an operation for years but genuinely starting to consider it.

I was getting excruciating pains in my feet and legs over a couple of years. Doctor sent me to a physiotherapist who said it was coming from my back and was sciatica. I get monthly massage on my lower back to help prevent it flaring up again, and I do feel better after she has manipulated the lower back area.

Part of my problem is I can be in a hire car at least 2-4 times a month as well as travelling on planes with work. The posture must be taking a hit. My sciatica returned last month and obviously can’t get a physio appointment currently. Only cure is rest, tube bandage and ibuprofen.

I suffered from back pain too. For example, standing at a gig watching a band, getting back to the car and trying to get into the car - nightmare. Going for a long walk or playing golf - affected my golf swing, and bending to tee the ball or pick it out the hole was sore, once warmed up, I eased up and was OK, but at the end, would stiffen up dreadfully and get really sore again. In bed at night, turning over from one side to the other - had to do it in installments, accompanied by stifled groans of pain. I was recommended to try one of these back stretching thingummyjigs - photo attached. I read reviews, did a bit of research, and the one I got was £23. Thought it would be worth giving it a shot, for the price of a fitba’ match ticket. There’s three slots in increasing angles. I went for the lowest angle. Sit on the floor, set an alarm for five mins, have some relaxing music on. Hook your thumbs behind the widest base area and pull towards you until it hits the top of your bum. Gently lean back supporting yourself on your elbows until prone. Two five minute sessions per’ day. I swear, hand on heart, the difference to my life has been unbelieveable. After only a few days, could feel a real difference. Been using it for a month now - pain free, golf no problem, getting in and out the car no problem. At first, it felt awkward under my back, I used a pillow under my head, but only for the first day. After day one, laid down on it and stretched my legs out, head on floor no problem. I could hear the cracks as I lay on it initially, as my spine posture corrected itself after repeated use, the cracking eased. I am a cynical auld goat about stuff like this, but this bloody thing has worked absolute wonders for me. It might not be for everyone, obviously the back pain each of us feels can be caused by different things, but when I saw the post, thought I’d share my experience and how the back stretcher / posture corrector has genuinely, and I admit, surprisingly, made a massive difference to my situation.

8D6A2A89-8DF7-43A1-B9C8-FD6E3278C799.jpeg.84e8bb650bf01b2ee5d69665b09a8f94.jpeg

This sounds promising, have many of the issues you do. Do you have the link to purchase one of these (exact model)? 23 quid is a fucking bargain if it works?

Edit. Found one and bought it...

Had problems with lower back pain since I started high school. Constantly being out on the concrete/astro playing football growing up certainly never helped but the biggest thing was I used to shift all my weight onto one leg when standing or worse, leaning against walls. Muscles on one side were developed stronger than the other. 
I've basically learnt to live with it but as ICTchris said, I never felt better than when I was constantly at the gym - not even specifically targeting that area - the first month to six weeks was hideous though.. that's went by the wayside. 
I'm getting a load of bother with shoulders and in between my shoulder blades just now. 
Shoulder problems are common issues for a lot of people who use laptops/computers etc a lot for work... It tends to go right down trap muscle so when u turn it's painful. Unlike issues with my lower back, the shoulder isn't too bad to fix and a good physio should sort you.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

An inversion table or just they clip on moon boot things? 

I've always had thoughts of getting a table but sceptical if it'll actually be worth it. 

The layout of my stairs means that I can grab the upper floor then move down a couple of steps causing me to "hang". Basically the weight of your legs hanging stretches your back. In my case cheap but effective.

25 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This sounds promising, have many of the issues you do. Do you have the link to purchase one of these (exact model)? 23 quid is a fucking bargain if it works?

Edit. Found one and bought it...

Post the link please

On 04/07/2020 at 13:45, Mr X said:

I got sciatica earlier in the year. It was really bad for a few months, couldnt walk properly or even sit without pain.

Its eased off now but its still there but its mainly pain down the left leg now, like I have a constant tight/pulled hamstring. 

Have you had a MRI scan?  I thought I had sciatica as well and it turned out to something worse.   Went 18 months thinking it was that

On 04/07/2020 at 14:10, ICTChris said:

Strength training is your friend.

Either that or just take massive doses of opioid based painkillers.

Strengthening you core muscles is supposed to be really good for it.   The opioids get me functioning but can be brutal. 

22 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I suffered from back pain too. For example, standing at a gig watching a band, getting back to the car and trying to get into the car - nightmare. Going for a long walk or playing golf - affected my golf swing, and bending to tee the ball or pick it out the hole was sore, once warmed up, I eased up and was OK, but at the end, would stiffen up dreadfully and get really sore again. In bed at night, turning over from one side to the other - had to do it in installments, accompanied by stifled groans of pain. I was recommended to try one of these back stretching thingummyjigs - photo attached. I read reviews, did a bit of research, and the one I got was £23. Thought it would be worth giving it a shot, for the price of a fitba’ match ticket. There’s three slots in increasing angles. I went for the lowest angle. Sit on the floor, set an alarm for five mins, have some relaxing music on. Hook your thumbs behind the widest base area and pull towards you until it hits the top of your bum. Gently lean back supporting yourself on your elbows until prone. Two five minute sessions per’ day. I swear, hand on heart, the difference to my life has been unbelieveable. After only a few days, could feel a real difference. Been using it for a month now - pain free, golf no problem, getting in and out the car no problem. At first, it felt awkward under my back, I used a pillow under my head, but only for the first day. After day one, laid down on it and stretched my legs out, head on floor no problem. I could hear the cracks as I lay on it initially, as my spine posture corrected itself after repeated use, the cracking eased. I am a cynical auld goat about stuff like this, but this bloody thing has worked absolute wonders for me. It might not be for everyone, obviously the back pain each of us feels can be caused by different things, but when I saw the post, thought I’d share my experience and how the back stretcher / posture corrector has genuinely, and I admit, surprisingly, made a massive difference to my situation.

8D6A2A89-8DF7-43A1-B9C8-FD6E3278C799.jpeg

Did you get this on Amazon and do you know the actual name of it? 

22 hours ago, pozbaird said:

8D6A2A89-8DF7-43A1-B9C8-FD6E3278C799.jpeg

Just ordered one on Amazon.  The reviews are very good.  

5 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Had a bad back for over 40 years and have learned to live with it.  Used to take painkillers but when on them could do anything but worried about what damage I was causing.  Stopped taking them and if you moved a certain way and got pain your did not do that again.

Moderate exercise and hanging down stretches it. Swimming is also good for relieving the pain as the water takes the body's weight.

I'd love to get off the pain killers but can't function properly without them.   Swimming is the next thing I'm trying.  Have you tried cold water swimming? It's been recommended to me. 

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 04/07/2020 at 14:16, Mr. Alli said:

Shoulder problems are common issues for a lot of people who use laptops/computers etc a lot for work... It tends to go right down trap muscle so when u turn it's painful. Unlike issues with my lower back, the shoulder isn't too bad to fix and a good physio should sort you.

Mines started when I got melted at fives and went arse over elbow and landed on my elbows. Tore *levator scapulae* but not badly enough to warrant operation they said. Got exercises to help and they did to a point but getting a new mattress and a V pillow worked wonders. Comes and goes now - the pain in between the blades is new though.

*I could have the name wrong*

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Geez, break it to me gently doc.

I haven't had an mri but I did go to the doctors when it first started

Get referred for physio.  They'll spot it if it's something else and will organise an MRI scan.  Well worth it as you could be doing more damage thinking it's something else.   Sorry...

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:
15 minutes ago, HooseLee said:
Get referred for physio.  They'll spot it if it's something else and will organise an MRI scan.  Well worth it as you could be doing more damage thinking it's something else.   Sorry...

Cheers. They did tell me to self refer for physio.

Follow it up.  You could lose a testicle...  well with going for it.