WoSFL Premier Division thread

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

utter bollocks

The failure has been in teams from the west to get licences or win play off games . Add to that egomaniacs such as that clown from Darvel throwing money about to achieve the a cup win over Aberdeen and get him and the chicken man time on TV.

The clubs in the east have progressed without the need to throw stupid money at it, crowds are up, interest is up.

Maybe once some on the west lose their Junior mentality and west cost superiority complex they will see the benefit of the whole pyramid. 

Kelty have thrown money at the team, the backers left this season to go to Raith. 

There biggest differnece between us and Kelty is they had an established following, social club etc....we are no where near the size of Kelty as a club so a money man was the only way we would progress. 

1 hour ago, rhubarb1974 said:

No, there was talk of Gartcairn proposing it, going by a former player of ours. I personally don't see an issue with them proposing it and making it voluntary, it is my least favourite cup. I know from talking to other clubs fans they feel the same way.

The south challenge cup should be the best cup competition outwith the Scottish cup.

The turn out of for the games involving Perthshire teams in the first rounds was well up on league gates

It just needs some proper funding.

Just now, realmadrid said:

The south challenge cup should be the best cup competition outwith the Scottish cup.

The turn out of for the games involving Perthshire teams in the first rounds was well up on league gates

Should and is are two seperate things, WoS found the money to get shiney new offices etc...how can the SJFA put up the £20k prize pot but the South Challenge can't 

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

It should be, but it isn't. The Scottish Junior Cup is.

It just needs proper funding, which it doesn't have. The Scottish Junior Cup does.

1 minute ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Kelty have thrown money at the team, the backers left this season to go to Raith. 

There biggest differnece between us and Kelty is they had an established following, social club etc....we are no where near the size of Kelty as a club so a money man was the only way we would progress. 

Kelty now have superb facilities for spectators and a sustainable club

Darvel have some changing rooms and grass banking, where is the stand as promised ?

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

Kelty now have superb facilities for spectators and a sustainable club

Darvel have some changing rooms and grass banking, where is the stand as promised ?

As mentioned before Darvel and Kelty were in different places when money started to be spent, Kelty were an established top side, strong following and already had good foundations i.e. their ground, social club etc...

When JG took over at Darvel our pitch/facilities were needing a dramatic overhaul, credit to the guys that worked on it for years trying their best however money was needing spent and to JG credit he did make big improvements to the full infrustructure. It is vastly improved from what it was 6/7 years ago. We do not have the following of Kelty or the likes of your Polloks or Talbot in the West, wihtout the cash investment we wouldn't be challenging the top West sides. 

I personally never seen us rise through the division and being honest I would happily stay an established west prem side. LL doesn't and never has interested me. I know a stand was promised however I don't see the need for it at present, Unless we grow our following it is wasted money. We have a decent ground for any team to come and visit. 

12 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

how can the SJFA put up the £20k prize pot but the South Challenge can't 

You've answered your own question elsewhere with going back to two-legged semis as an example and taking the majority of the gate.

27 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

I don't believe there is an agreed constitution between the four leagues.

There is, there's even a committee with reps from all the leagues.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

46 minutes ago, clansman said:

If the SJFA are taking 60% of all the semi final gates are they not giving out prize money extracted from what may be these teams biggest crowds of the season ?

Honestly, that is very disappointing IMO. I had thought the prize money was coming from the unspent war chest of the SJFA. To take 60% of four probably well attended gates is extracting the urine. Takes the shine off what is a fine competition and takes us back to the time when we all saw the SJFA for the rogues they were.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You've answered your own question elsewhere with going back to two-legged semis as an example and taking the majority of the gate.

Over two legs teams benefit from the 40/60 split as oppose to the 33/33/33 when it was a single leg. You now have guaranteed prize money from the quarter finals. Yes the SJFA get the bigger portion of the gate money however I don't grudge them it. They give out more than the WoS

I like the 2 leg semi final. No issues with that. I think both our games v Talbot on the Friday night will be well supported whether that be fans of either side or just neutrals coming along.  

25 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

Over two legs teams benefit from the 40/60 split as oppose to the 33/33/33 when it was a single leg. You now have guaranteed prize money from the quarter finals. Yes the SJFA get the bigger portion of the gate money however I don't grudge them it. They give out more than the WoS

I like the 2 leg semi final. No issues with that. I think both our games v Talbot on the Friday night will be well supported whether that be fans of either side or just neutrals coming along.  

I do. They were left with plenty of money when the exodus happened. Get sponsorship money, use membership fees and give the semi finalists a decent pay day from the two leg system. They're at it.

Edited by jimbaxters

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

Honestly, that is very disappointing IMO. I had thought the prize money was coming from the unspent war chest of the SJFA. To take 60% of four probably well attended gates is extracting the urine. Takes the shine off what is a fine competition and takes us back to the time when we all saw the SJFA for the rogues they were.

You still work out with more cash, you now get 40% of your home semi final gate. When it was a neutral venue you had an even 3 way split so only got 33.33% of the gate money. 

Just now, rhubarb1974 said:

You still work out with more cash, you now get 40% of your home semi final gate. When it was a neutral venue you had an even 3 way split so only got 33.33% of the gate money. 

You have two games to fund though.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

You have two games to fund though.

You are only funding 1 game really, you can claim your expenses back for bus I believe that said I would doubt you will have a team bus to come to Darvel likewise I don't see us having a team bus going to Beechwood. 

8 minutes ago, rhubarb1974 said:

You are only funding 1 game really, you can claim your expenses back for bus I believe that said I would doubt you will have a team bus to come to Darvel likewise I don't see us having a team bus going to Beechwood. 

So you're saying that one of the matches will be totally expense free? That's not true.

Look, I have been winding up the radges who are anti junior for ages on here and using the Scottish Junior Cup to do so. However, I haven't forgotten the old SJFA days when Brown was stealing a full time wage and his pal was turning up with medals in a plastic poke. I thought those days were gone and the SJFA were trying their best to provide a decent cup competition with the lure of decent money, which the SCC isn't. We know that the association has plenty of money and as this competition is really the only thing they have in their locker they should be able to find adequate outside funding for it. Taking the majority of any gate, under any circumstance is ripping it out of the teams involved. But to do so in this competition where they are dangling a prize money carrot is smoke and mirrors stuff.

Shame on them.

ETA- if either team don't have a team bus for a big semi-final like this, it's tinpot behaviour.

Edited by jimbaxters

20 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There isn't.

There is a committee but it's only a load of talking donkeys. They've limited powers and each league can still refuse to act on any decisions made if they don't like it. 

16 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

I do. They were left with plenty of money when the exodus happened. Get sponsorship money, use membership fees and give the semi finalists a decent pay day from the SJFA imposed two leg system. They're at it.

It was brought back at the request of the clubs.

2 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

The four clubs involved in the semis or did all member clubs vote?

Edited by jimbaxters

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

I don't recall my club being asked to vote on that, unless it was part of the Constitutional changes at last year's AGM, which it may well have been.

Edited by glensmad