Czech Republic v Scotland

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Mentality is obviously a big issue but it's easier for players to get their heads right when they aren't playing in weird positions. Tierney, Robertson, Forrest, McTominay and McGinn were all playing in positions that don't suit them. 

"Formations don't matter" is also a really stupid thing to say. Craig Levein lost his job over a formation. And if they really didn't matter we'd just field Robertson and Tierney at the back and play 8 midfielders. Of course where your players are on the pitch matters.

Yes. I was defending a formation of 2-8-0. Good patter.

My point was that an inability to make a single decent chance is not the fault of a formation. Changing the formation does not make us less shite 

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Yes. I was defending a formation of 2-8-0. Good patter.

My point was that an inability to make a single decent chance is not the fault of a formation. Changing the formation does not make us less shite 

If you're stance is "formations don't matter" then you're absolutely defending a 2-8-0, you're defending all formation selections. Wasn't trying to hit you with any patter, if Scotland were just to field their best players without worrying about formation then we probably would go 2-8-0 with this squad.

The ability to create chances largely depends on having your most creative players playing in their best positions. Quite important to find a formation that allows that then. Playing a 3-4-3, with neither of your world class left backs able to play left back, your best defensive midfielder playing centre back and one of your strongest attacking midfielders being played as a right forward will largely hamper how you create chances. 

40 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

We haven't seen that in a Scotland jersey,McTominey didn't pick his runner up in the costa rica game and played his part in losing a goal.
He is not playing for Man Utd hes playing for Scotland, he is very tidy player on the ball but without the ball he is mince.

S##n#ss never bothered picking up any runners , why did McTominay need to ?

I don't think formation is an excuse either. For a team of footballers to fail to create a decent chance, at home, against a similar strength team is completely unacceptable at any level, let alone international.

A bad performance can happen, like Friday. If it continues, however, then questions need to be asked of the mentality of the players as well as the managers ability to pick, set up and motivate them into performing. 

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, lets drop Scott McTominay because he left his runner in a fucking friendly with Costa Rica more than 2 years ago. You're a fucking moron, willy.

Yep that's the point I was making dicks like you haven't got a clue,Pointing out something that a defensive midfielder needs to have in his locker going forward.
McTominey needs to read the game better if he wants to play that position,you're a fucking clown for not recognizing that. 

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

McTominey needs to read the game better if he wants to play that position,you're a fucking clown for not recognizing that. 

I think I'll take the opinion of Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho over a fucking nugget that can't even spell McTominays name.

That formation the other night was shite. 
4-3-2-1

Marshall, Palmer, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson, Mctominay, Mcginn, Armstrong, Forrest, Christie, Dykes.

mctominay sitting in with Armstrong and mcginn taking turns to sit in. Unsure mcginn has the discipline for that but meh I couldn’t stand Jack and Mctominay passing backwards the entire time or Mcgregor passing to the other team the entire time 

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Yep that's the point I was making dicks like you haven't got a clue,Pointing out something that a defensive midfielder needs to have in his locker going forward.

Until restart he’d been playing every game for Manchester United. That includes dominant European performances in 2019.

He doesn’t need to step up his game, unless playing CB is where the rest of his career is headed, in which case I’d agree with you.

If you think McTominay is our problem, god help us.

5 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Until restart he’d been playing every game for Manchester United. That includes dominant European performances in 2019.

He doesn’t need to step up his game, unless playing CB is where the rest of his career is headed, in which case I’d agree with you.

If you think McTominay is our problem, god help us.

Again I couldn't careless how he plays for Man Utd playing for Scotland is totally different experience for him.

A good performance and 3 points (with a half decent formation/starting 11) and I'd be happy to forget about Friday's toothless display.

4 points from the first 2 games would have been a good start, so if we've got lucky enough that the new Czech squad are bad enough to lose to us then I'll take it all day long.