FIFA 21

mrpaddyx

Guy in work keeps saying his 13 year old son is excellent at the game, wants to be a FIFA pro,  regularly gets 25/26 wins on Weekend League etc. After he’s played his WL he then tries to do the same on his dads account, albeit with a lesser team. I was saying how that’s some high quality FIFA play and asked what sort of team he was using. He said it was just a couple of icons amongst regular gold cards and that he only put £100 in for him at the start of the game and he’s grinded out the rest in SBCs. As someone who has put a ridiculous amount of money into previous versions of the game I was more than sceptical. 

During the week he shows me a clip from a game his son had posted to YouTube and his team had Eusebio, Guilit, Roberto Carlos, Rio Ferdinand and Yashin as the Icons. The others I noticed were the Varane UCL card and a Europa League Pogba, plus a few other special cards that I couldn’t make out, but not one normal Gold card. I didn’t go as far as calling the guy a downright liar with regards to how much money he’s spent, but I did imply that I found it highly unlikely that only £100 had been spent on that team. Does anyone believe a team like that is possible with a hundred quid? I put the fat end of 2 grand into FIFA 18 or 19 (I’m still embarrassed about it), and I think I finished with 2 icons, a normal gold Neymar, IF 93 Suarez and a MOTM Salah as my best cards.  

Guy in work keeps saying his 13 year old son is excellent at the game, wants to be a FIFA pro,  regularly gets 25/26 wins on Weekend League etc. After he’s played his WL he then tries to do the same on his dads account, albeit with a lesser team. I was saying how that’s some high quality FIFA play and asked what sort of team he was using. He said it was just a couple of icons amongst regular gold cards and that he only put £100 in for him at the start of the game and he’s grinded out the rest in SBCs. As someone who has put a ridiculous amount of money into previous versions of the game I was more than sceptical. 

During the week he shows me a clip from a game his son had posted to YouTube and his team had Eusebio, Guilit, Roberto Carlos, Rio Ferdinand and Yashin as the Icons. The others I noticed were the Varane UCL card and a Europa League Pogba, plus a few other special cards that I couldn’t make out, but not one normal Gold card. I didn’t go as far as calling the guy a downright liar with regards to how much money he’s spent, but I did imply that I found it highly unlikely that only £100 had been spent on that team. Does anyone believe a team like that is possible with a hundred quid? I put the fat end of 2 grand into FIFA 18 or 19 (I’m still embarrassed about it), and I think I finished with 2 icons, a normal gold Neymar, IF 93 Suarez and a MOTM Salah as my best cards.  
Easily with good trading and luck in pack pull, either way putting any money into FUT is sad and enables EAs greed.

8 minutes ago, Empty It said:
43 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Easily with good trading and luck in pack pull, either way putting any money into FUT is sad and enables EAs greed.

Going by my experience I can’t see how a team like that is possible with £100. By all accounts the boy sits up till 5 and 6 in the morning, playing the game constantly while he is off school, so maybe he’s putting in 12-16 hour shifts. 

Going by my experience I can’t see how a team like that is possible with £100. By all accounts the boy sits up till 5 and 6 in the morning, playing the game constantly while he is off school, so maybe he’s putting in 12-16 hour shifts. 
Mental that someone let's their child do this never mind actually encouraging it.

42 minutes ago, Empty It said:

While that's maybe true, it's effectively a pointless battle.  Someone putting even three figures into the game because they can't be arsed with the grind pales into insignificance when you go to some YouTubers account and watch them spend the sort of amounts most people would put into a deposit for a house on a regular basis.  People wave it away by saying its' their business, that they get a lot of points free, that they can claim back the tax, completely missing the point that they contribute a fucking huge amount to EA on a regular basis.  Sad part is that they only reason they do it is because there's an audience for it.  Some guy with a full time job and a steady income gets crucified (not here, we're more measured) for putting a few quid in, by someone who then goes onto YouTube and watches whatever fucking VL they prefer to watch spending far, far more.  

I'd even argue against EA being that greedy, particularly this year.  There's been far less lightning rounds this year compared to last, and a lot less promo packs.  They could easily rake in a million in minutes by opening up a lightning round, but they've avoided it.  Maybe they're afraid of regulation, or maybe they've grown a conscience.  Point is moot anyway, as their greed has moved on to turning the game into a shit mobile-style game you need to put full-time job hours into.  

6 minutes ago, Empty It said:
37 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Mental that someone let's their child do this never mind actually encouraging it.

I find it quite worrying as well tbh. The guy I work with gets him to play his WL games and the online objective matches in return for extra pocket money :lol: 

1 minute ago, forameus said:

While that's maybe true, it's effectively a pointless battle.  Someone putting even three figures into the game because they can't be arsed with the grind pales into insignificance when you go to some YouTubers account and watch them spend the sort of amounts most people would put into a deposit for a house on a regular basis.  People wave it away by saying its' their business, that they get a lot of points free, that they can claim back the tax, completely missing the point that they contribute a fucking huge amount to EA on a regular basis. 

I’ve always thought that too. I seen a video the other day where a guy said he had put £6000 into Fifa points trying to get a TOTY, I think he ended up with 3. But all through the video he’s telling you not to spend any money on FIFA points and how the pack weight is ridiculous :lol: 

I absolutely agree the pack weight is ridiculous, bordering on outright extortion, but for as long as there is people out there sticking money like that into the game EA won’t change a thing. The quicker the rest of the world follow Belgium’s lead and ban pack openings the better imo. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

But all through the video he’s telling you not to spend any money on FIFA points and how the pack weight is ridiculous :lol: 

I find that the most hilarious part of it all.  Tantamount to a big "OH MY SIDES" Paddy Power advert with a mumbled warning at the end.  People actually hold these guys up as some kind of moral hero because they say it, despite the fact that they're contributing more towards the situation than any other group.  It's pathetic.  On all sides.  But particularly in the "community" praising someone playing both sides while EA stand above them laughing.

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:

This loot box/player packs stuff is the future of gambling addiction, I find it pretty pathetic when adults put money into FUT and sad when they let their children do so.

I don't think it's quite as black and white as that.  There's a difference between putting any money into the game, and putting the sort of amounts that are leading to addiction.  That's absolutely not to say it doesn't happen, I think it's far more widespread than people realise.  But I don't see anything wrong with anyone putting money in as long as they're a responsible enough adult who is in the financial situation where it doesn't matter.  I doubt anyone would see much of a problem with someone putting a tenner line on at the bookies each week, that's similarly tossing money away on hoping for luck.

10 minutes ago, forameus said:

I don't think it's quite as black and white as that.  There's a difference between putting any money into the game, and putting the sort of amounts that are leading to addiction.  That's absolutely not to say it doesn't happen, I think it's far more widespread than people realise.  But I don't see anything wrong with anyone putting money in as long as they're a responsible enough adult who is in the financial situation where it doesn't matter.  I doubt anyone would see much of a problem with someone putting a tenner line on at the bookies each week, that's similarly tossing money away on hoping for luck.

Aye there is that. However chucking a tenner on at the bookies at least guarantees (OK it doesn’t guarantee it but you know what I mean)  of monetary value back in return. A team of the year card, no matter how cool or great they are, are ultimately fucking worthless and have zero cash value. When I bought the game, I got some points with it. Maybe like an extra £7 or so for the same points as £12 something like that. But that’s been it for me this year. Has that extra £7 I spent at the start of the game got me this team? Nope.

19EC7089-EA99-45C0-9232-A952DCC0255D.png

Edited by Wardy

34 minutes ago, Empty It said:

This loot box/player packs stuff is the future of gambling addiction, I find it pretty pathetic when adults put money into FUT and sad when they let their children do so.

The UK government don’t, and haven’t for many many years, given a f**k about gambling addiction. You are absolutely correct that these ‘loot boxes’ are creating the problem gamblers of the future, although I doubt it’s something our Government have considered, or particularly care about. Gambling addictions are like an additional tax on the poor, It makes them a lot of money. The National Lottery is basically another Govt. income stream funded by the working classes, where they dangle a nice jackpot infront of poor people promising an escape from their financial troubles. That’s not a healthy society. 

The Gambling regulations that had been in place since the 1960s got torn to shreds by Tony Blair in 2002, and then again by Gordon Brown when the recession was hitting the UK hard and they needed to claw in every penny they could. Only recently did they limit the stakes on FOBTs despite knowing the damage they were doing for years. There seems to be a bit of talk recently about tightening the restrictions again, mainly around bookmaker advertising. 

The thing about putting money into the game is that if your not actually any good then it doesn't matter. I've played plenty of players on Rivals and WL who have a far better team than I do but can still beat them. Then you come up against a player with an all gold team and no special players and they destroy you. Having an OP team only really seems to matter at the higher levels where a slightly better player can make a difference.

One thing I will say about streamers is that along with a main account, where they may sink in a shed load of cash into, a lot of the them have a Road to Glory (RTG) account where they don't spend anything. This in a way shows the viewer that it is possible to win without spending any extra cash.

My account is permenantly RTG as I refuse to put any extra money into the game and its not too bad (88 rated with 2 icons and a TOTY and a few other high end cards). I don't even really bother with trading , just do MM, Rivals, Squad Battles (yuck) and WL to build up packs along with a lot of friendlies with this version.

Edited by mrpaddyx

9 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

The thing about putting money into the game is that if your not actually any good then it doesn't matter. I've played plenty of players on Rivals and WL who have a far better team than I do but can still beat them. Then you come up against a player with an all gold team and no special players and they destroy you. Having an OP team only really seems to matter at the higher levels where a slightly better player can make a difference.

That was me in FIFA 19.  I spent far too much money on the game, built a pretty expensive team, and would still get beat off 10 year olds.

I fell hook line and sinker for the pay to win idea, and was playing against my friends for money most nights. There’s no doubt that having icons or Messi/Ronaldo in your team can help, but as you say if you aren’t any good at the game then those players aren’t going to turn you into a player. 

The amount of times I stuck in £80 to open packs, get absolutely nothing of note and then sit and think about what I had just done with 80 fuckin quid was unreal. When I went through my bank statements and added up all the EA transactions it came to something like £1800.

I remember getting matched up in a game of Rivals against a young English boy who had his microphone turned on, he sounded like he was about 8 years old and he must have been sitting  talking with a friend. As the teams came up I could hear him saying ‘Oh my god, this guy has got Guillit and Neymar, check this guys team’. Can’t remember the final score but he beat me easily anyway, and you could hear him jumping around celebrating after every goal :lol: that was a low point.