Mighty Montrose FC Thread

I thought Mo did well and had a fair share of possession and were clinical with their chances. Lovely finish for the second and two neat bits of play to beat Milne and Ashcroft in the lead up to your goals.

Fair play to the 60 odd fans that made their way down for the day.

Welcome Callum Hannah!

A think this lad will do alright for us had a good loan at Albion Rovers last year in the LL,looks quite a big lad too hope he does well for us.

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

I see Hannah started for you lot versus Motherwell. Looking forward to a quick hot take.

Callum did alright last night to be fair to him,tough shift against good players but you can tell their is a player in him.

Ben Hermiston sold to Deveronvale, surprised at that tbh. Thought he looked a decent enough prospect and would have got a reasonable amount of game time this season. Can only assume we have another striker lined up to come in now as although Lyons has done a job playing more centrally at times, he’s still very much not a striker. 

21 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Ben Hermiston sold to Deveronvale, surprised at that tbh. Thought he looked a decent enough prospect and would have got a reasonable amount of game time this season. Can only assume we have another striker lined up to come in now as although Lyons has done a job playing more centrally at times, he’s still very much not a striker. 

Am actually not too fussed about this to be honest.Just a young lad still but didn't do enough for me,work rate was pretty poor for me thought he was quite slow.Wish him all the best though scored a couple good goals for Montrose i.e at Partick Thistle couple weekends ago.

5 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Am actually not too fussed about this to be honest.Just a young lad still but didn't do enough for me,work rate was pretty poor for me thought he was quite slow.Wish him all the best though scored a couple good goals for Montrose i.e at Partick Thistle couple weekends ago.

Yeah I’m certainly not gonna lose any sleep, I actually had it in my head that he’d scored 2 or 3 goals off the bench last season but just the 1 against Alloa apparently. I still hope that we do plan on bringing in a 3rd proper striker, especially not knowing what’s going on with Hester and Webster. 

12 hours ago, Aidan said:

Yeah I’m certainly not gonna lose any sleep, I actually had it in my head that he’d scored 2 or 3 goals off the bench last season but just the 1 against Alloa apparently. I still hope that we do plan on bringing in a 3rd proper striker, especially not knowing what’s going on with Hester and Webster. 

Yeah I kinda thought Ben would go out on loan but if your getting cash for him then it  makes sense to me to move him on.

Squad wise we are actually looking pretty good for this time of the season,we have quite a big squad at the moment and a couple young lads coming in aswell.But like you said earlier  I still think we will bring  more loans in another striker and a CM midfielder would be my preferred choice.

Nice to get some updates on the injuries in the interview on YouTube. Kane given the all clear and should be back soon, Webster expected to be out for 5-6 weeks, Kerr Waddell to be back doing ball work in the next couple of weeks and wee Alex Balfour has another scan but should be given the go ahead in a couple of weeks. 

With it being just over a week until the 1st game off the season i was having a look at the squad so far, i would think their will be quite alot of activity next week with clubs bringing guys in on loan.

GK

Cammy Gill

Ross Matthews

Defenders

Sean Dillon

Andrew Steeves

Ryan Willamson

Aiden Quinn

Craig Smith

Callum Hannah

Kerr Waddell-Injured back hopefully October time

Midfielders

Terry Masson

Michael Gardyne

Ali Shrive

Craig Brown

Matteus Machado

Graham Webster-Injured out for 5-6 weeks

Paul Watson-Injured?

Forwards

Blair Lyons

Ben Maciver-Redwood

Kane Hester--Injured at the minute but hoping to be back start season.

We have also had 5-6 youth players in and around the 1st team,all have done pretty well and haven't looked out of place.I personally would keep Aulay Martin in and around the 1st team and put the rest out on 6 month loan deals.

Looking at the squad id like to see go for another midfielder and a forward and we will be good to go come Kelty.

In SP we trust......COYM

Anyone go to the Clyde game yesterday ?

Seemingly a decent game, good to get a clean sheet against a high-scoring side.

Petrie must know his starting eleven for next Saturday now.

3 hours ago, Mo-time said:

Plenty of options anyway 

I just clocked this on the Community trust's instagram page.

images.jpeg.b0f8289e0d0a4fa2c6bd144e38f61185.jpeg

I personally hope that it goes ahead. The Dynamo is looking tired. There's parts of the roof missing and there's usually muddy puddles in front.

It'll be good to have a ground fit for the 21st century.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

9 hours ago, Mo-time said:

Aye Montrose better team especially first half. Ref was appalling though and how Masson didn't get a red for his foul on Dunnachie was crazy also Clyde had a blatant penalty turned down. Having said that Montrose should have been out of sight by half time. Can I ask have you changed your style of play in recent years  Seem more physical now reason i ask is I mind I game at Broadwood Montrose won 5 0 some great football that day could have had double figures. Now seem more physical well drilled like many a Peterhead side I've seen over the years.  Numbers 6 and 10 were very skilful I thought mind. Just wondered. Good manager. Surprised not went onto bigger clubs . 

16 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I just clocked this on the Community trust's instagram page.

images.jpeg.b0f8289e0d0a4fa2c6bd144e38f61185.jpeg

I personally hope that it goes ahead. The Dynamo is looking tired. There's parts of the roof missing and there's usually muddy puddles in front.

It'll be good to have a ground fit for the 21st century.

Has my vote for a share of the cash,i really hope they one of the 125k cash would be excellent to see it all done up and the stand closer to the pitch.

Don't like to criticise our tactics as the management have done a great job with what we have BUT in my opinion we didn't best use what we  had yesterday.  We were stretched at the back with injuries etc. but we generally coped well anyway but the problem I saw from the stands was that we had no threat up top and that was caused, again in my opinion, by having not enough support from midfield. Gardyne played well and Lyons tried hard, no problems there but Terry Masson was far too deep and never in the mix up top. I'm not doubting Terry's play or form but if his role was to play too deep then that I feel was a mistake. He has shown his threat up front already this season especially supporting the youngsters up top - they need that and lads like Terry and Winker do that. As I say Gardyne did well but it needed more than that and while Winker is injured Terry is the man to do it. I thought at half-time or at 60 minutes we would put Craig Smith on at the back, push Hannah and Masson further forward with Shrive off then Hester on for Maciver-Redwood who has promise but isn't quite up to speed yet. Machado is another real prospect as well in an attacking midfield role so we do have options.

Still lack a target man who can hold the ball up and get on the end of crosses and set plays - if we can only use what we have then I have a suggestion which nobody else will agree with I'm sure. We usually have enough in the back line to cope so when Kerr Waddell is back I'd put him in up top. He's big strong, good in the air and would cause mayhem in the opposition defence AND score goals.  Worth a a try? Many years ago we did the same thing with Brian Third who was a left back - he scored 36 in a season including a double hat-trick when he was pushed into attack in a problem situation. Not saying we have a problem situation right now after just one game but worth giving some thought to?

January Aidan its standard practice for window reasons but with a view to a season. Roselea are happy to be part of their progress and the benefits are mutal. Can be recalled at anytime as well and will have two fit and able replacements rather than sitting on the bench or stand. Two great potential MFC players for the future

23 minutes ago, tellyboy said:

January Aidan its standard practice for window reasons but with a view to a season. Roselea are happy to be part of their progress and the benefits are mutal. Can be recalled at anytime as well and will have two fit and able replacements rather than sitting on the bench or stand. Two great potential MFC players for the future

Not outwith a window you won't.