COVID-19 In Scottish Football

Here's the thing, we've seen that the SPFL are keen not to allow postponements for games (the Celtic/Aberdeen situation seemed to be forced on them from the Scottish Gov) and I suppose we can all see the reason there. It's an already congested fixture list (not just domestically) and there is a chance that teams can be facing several players out - we've seen that with ourselves and now Hamilton - and there is no guarantee the end of this is anytime soon (ie: via a vaccine).

With all that said and done, my concern is it's hammers those already in the worst positions. Either of the OF without 2, 3 or even 4 players can easily cover their positions. Even mid tier teams like Aberdeen or Hibs have a strong enough squad to deal that number of players being ruled out. Working down to the smaller teams, and ones that have been hit the hardest with budget limitations and it's just not so easy.

I'm not necessarily arguing that postponements should be the norm, I honestly don't have an answer. You could argue that temporarily losing players from the first team would encourage managers to promote within and give chances to players on the fringes of squads, and there is some merit to that, but there is no short term gain there. Goodwin made the point that it'll come down to whichever team copes best with uncertainty will benefit, and I think that's true.

What's my point? Meh, I have none, other than I feel the teams with the smaller squads and limited budgets are going to be hit the hardest, on top of already being disadvantaged by having smaller squads and limited budgets in the first place.

58 minutes ago, Ric said:

Here's the thing, we've seen that the SPFL are keen not to allow postponements for games (the Celtic/Aberdeen situation seemed to be forced on them from the Scottish Gov) and I suppose we can all see the reason there. It's an already congested fixture list (not just domestically) and there is a chance that teams can be facing several players out - we've seen that with ourselves and now Hamilton - and there is no guarantee the end of this is anytime soon (ie: via a vaccine).

With all that said and done, my concern is it's hammers those already in the worst positions. Either of the OF without 2, 3 or even 4 players can easily cover their positions. Even mid tier teams like Aberdeen or Hibs have a strong enough squad to deal that number of players being ruled out. Working down to the smaller teams, and ones that have been hit the hardest with budget limitations and it's just not so easy.

I'm not necessarily arguing that postponements should be the norm, I honestly don't have an answer. You could argue that temporarily losing players from the first team would encourage managers to promote within and give chances to players on the fringes of squads, and there is some merit to that, but there is no short term gain there. Goodwin made the point that it'll come down to whichever team copes best with uncertainty will benefit, and I think that's true.

What's my point? Meh, I have none, other than I feel the teams with the smaller squads and limited budgets are going to be hit the hardest, on top of already being disadvantaged by having smaller squads and limited budgets in the first place.

That is true but I suppose you could argue that's no different to how teams can cope with injuries/suspensions in general. The teams with the biggest budgets always have an advantage.

Not saying it's right, just that Covid hasn't introduced anything new in that regard, just an added layer of risk.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That is true but I suppose you could argue that's no different to how teams can cope with injuries/suspensions in general. The teams with the biggest budgets always have an advantage.

That is right, more that those things happen normally in a season, so with covid it's a multiplier effect.

Guest DAVIDB69

The get the Scottish cup played to get Celtic a treble and full house of fans idea was a bad ones.

Be as well knocking last seasons Scottish cup on the head if there won’t be any fans there

Does anyone know what the thinking is behind enforcing a 10 day isolation period despite a negative NHS test?

Surely releasing a player from self-isolation following a negative NHS test would allow us to minimise the impact of false positives?

18 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

The get the Scottish cup played to get Celtic a treble and full house of fans idea was a bad ones.

Be as well knocking last seasons Scottish cup on the head if there won’t be any fans there

There are 4 teams who can still win it and fans can still watch it, albeit on TV.

Not everything is about Celtic.

30 minutes ago, JudgeFlash said:

Higher risk of being infected...due to showing false-positive on a test? Explain please. 

Don't think the tests are 100% reliable so imagine there's a risk/concern that there can be false negatives as well as false positives.

It is the belt & braces approach but essentially you eliminate the risk by enforcing isolation if there's any suspicion of infection.

2 hours ago, JudgeFlash said:

Higher risk of being infected...due to showing false-positive on a test? Explain please. 

A player who has tested positive once and negative once is more likely to have the disease than a player who has tested negative twice. That's how probability works.

Ft clubs according to Dyer's suggestion aren't willing to play lower league sides who haven't had their squad tested and I fully appreciate why. 

Can't see part time clubs wanting to spend money to play Premiership clubs behind closed doors without the chance of gate money from it. 

Recipe for League cup to be another covid victim?

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

6 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Ft clubs according to Dyer's suggestion aren't willing to play lower league sides who haven't had their squad tested and I fully appreciate 2++. 

Can't see part time clubs wanting to spend money to play Premiership clubs behind closed doors without the chance of gate money from it. 

Recipe for League cup to be another covid victim?

I presume this is something that the SPFL and SFA considered when they rescheduled the League and Scottish Cups?

Will be pretty damning on them if it isn't.