Dunbar United Season 20/21

13 hours ago, Man from the East said:

Just thinking back,,,, was it a very long time ago that the Sunny Dunny were anything other than top or sharing top position ,,,,,,

Unique position or banal fact? 
probably both😅

Probably, but interesting none the less!  Results so far have been great, how are the team playing this year? I'm looking forward to the East Lothian derby against Musselburgh, albeit Haddington have also made a good start.

Edited by RedLichty

40 minutes ago, RedLichty said:

Probably, but interesting none the less!  Results so far have been great, how are the team playing this year? I'm looking forward to the East Lothian derby against Musselburgh, albeit Haddington have also made a good start.

Very well from what I have seen. Midfield has a lot of mobility and composure which I have been impressed with. Linking very well with Hendry. 

Not getting carried away though as I am more than aware, like most fans, that this is a very difficult league. There will be weeks where it doesn't go to plan, and you go 2/3 weeks without a win. 

However, a great start nonetheless. 

Edited by #DUFC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So a very exciting second half comeback against our big local neighbours.
HAFC take an early lead and hold it until the second half. Some heroic efforts by the guys in Black & White - and let’s face it - the temperature was hot just standing watching. It must have taken it out of the players. Sean Stewart popped in the equaliser,  then the guy with 300+ appearances - Darren Handling - doesn’t give up in a one-on-one with the goalie and the ball canons off DH into the back of the HAFC net.
Let the celebrations begin 😀😀.

Enough said about all that other stuff, football is more important.

Edited by Man from the East

It really was a game of two halves. Dunbar didn't look like scoring in the first half and Haddington deserved their lead. I've been impressed with Barfoot in the games I've watched this season, and thought he was a miss for Dunbar after limping off midweek. Hopefully he isn't out for too long.

The second half was a different story. The defence splitting pass for the equaliser was great, with a cool finish from Stewart. The winning goal itself wasn't pretty but credit to Handling for persistence.

Great to see such a large crowd at NCP, with a healthy travelling support too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Really hope the EoS & WoS teams prove a point against the LL teams in Saturdays Scottish Cup matches. 
WoS Prem 16 clubs
WoS 1st     16
WoS 2nd   16
WoS 3rd    16
EoS Prem  16 
EoS 1st      16
EoS 2nd    16
EoS 3rd     11
SoS            12
                        135 clubs all filtering into a SINGLE promotion slot into the LL. Absurd situation. 
Most E&W premier teams are at least as good as many regular LL. Hopefully a few will prove it on Saturday.

Interesting draw for Dunbar in the next round. East Fife you'd expect will be strong favourites but hopefully with a big home crowd behind them the lads can make a real game of it.

With the pyramid being structured the way it is (44 teams vying for a single promotion place to the Lowland League) limiting the promotion or relegation prospects of many, there are plenty of clubs across the divisions yet to find their true competitive level in the pyramid. The opponents in the previous 2 rounds are probably good examples of this.

I'm not saying that East Fife are such a team - they were playing League 1 football last season and have some very experienced players - but it will be a good opportunity for Dunbar to test themselves against SPFL opposition, and one they shouldn't be daunted by.

So the Scottish Cup continues at NCP in a few weeks time.

Will this be the highest ever, ranked opposition for DUFC in a competitive match? I think it is.

I also think there’s potentially the biggest ever competitive match attendance about to be recorded.

Hosting a club from the SPL 2 in the Scottish Cup at NCP - changed days. And changed for the better.

karma 😀

Comfortable afternoon for Dunbar after going behind in first half. 
Could have sulked but dug in and played our way back into the game.

Some of the second half play was similar to the opening two weeks of the season. Really good on the eye.

Hendry is a great centre forward. Goalscorer, but links the play and runs between the lines so well. 

Big test next weekend against the league leaders. 

Edited by #DUFC

Yesterday (Vs Luncarty) was a guid day at the office. 
A cracking performance by many of the players resulted in a satisfying win. 
Last season, Luncarty made life difficult for DUFC, except for (paradox!!) possibly our finest display of the season up in Perthshire. 

Very much looking forward to the trip into West Lothian on Saturday. 

Seems to be clicking into gear! Great result, ending the league leaders unbeaten run. 

Whilst it’s still early doors, I think we have shown enough so far to be in the mixer to compete for a top half finish this season. 

Wasn’t that just a good team performance today. 
Got stronger every minute that the game went on. 
Certainly appears that things are going in the right direction. 
It could easily have been more than three goals. 
However, any way you look at it,  a three - nil away win to the undefeated league leaders is very creditable.

Respect 👍👍

• 2 weeks later...

Dunbar 2-1 Tynecastle 

Another good result last night. Not much between the sides first half but thought Dunbar went up a level second half.

Tricky conditions but some nice football played at times, especially the winning goal.

Pushes us up to the lofty heights of second place.

Another home game on Saturday in which the boys and management team will be hoping for a positive outcome. 

Satisfying to get the 3 points last night in a game which looked to be heading for a draw. Tynecastle will no doubt be disappointed to leave with nothing after putting in a decent shift.

I didn't think Dunbar were at their best, albeit in challenging conditions, but they ground out the result anyway. This habit of finding a way to win close matches was vital to last season's success, so long may it continue.

Quick mention for the referee. He's officiated a couple of matches at NCP I've attended this season and had a good game on both occasions. Generally lets the game flow and not blowing the whistle/flashing cards at every strong tackle like many do - refreshing to see.

Penicuik will be another difficult match on Saturday, but another 3 points should be the target to set us up nicely going into the Scottish cup tie.