U21 Greece Away 17th Nov

Big game on Wednesday for our young team. Czechs won tonight so are 3 points ahead of us and we are 1 ahead of Croatia. Czechs don't have any games left so a win in Greece should confirm us as group winners and automatic qualification as we have a superior head to head over Czechs (won and drew). Greece have nothing to play for.

Mon!!!

Win is a necessity, but actually glad the Czechs won because Greece now have nowt to play for and we can't try and scrape in with a draw.
Draw probably wouldn't have been any use cause Croatia would leap frog us when they beat Lithuania at home. Win and we qualify as group winners.
Genuinely think if we do that, senior team win their nations league plus last night..
Must be the best week for Scotland ever!

14 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Genuinely think if we do that, senior team win their nations league plus last night..
Must be the best week for Scotland ever!

On a serious note: since they introduced a finals tournament (until 1994 there was no such setup in U23 / U21 football), there has only been 1 occasion when both full and U21 teams have qualified; and since 2007 it has been impossible in normal circumstances as they occur in different years.

That occasion was autumn 1995: but while U21s qualified by beating San Marino 1-0 in the last game of qualifying (and Finland lost in Russia anyway), the full team had already qualified the previous month when Russia beat Greece, rendering a last game of qualifying 5-0 v San Marino a deadrubber. Officially-speaking both successful campaigns did finish 1 day apart though.

Can't find another combination with U18 / U19 or winning Home Nations etc.

39 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Noddy question and I think I know the answer, but why aren't u21s aligned with the senior team in terms of opponents?

That got scrapped years ago. Presumably when U21 finals tournaments moved to odd years.

It was fairly weird anyway (full team strength won't necessarily correspond to U21 strength).

I assume it was done for financial reasons: your full and U21 shared flights and hotels thus cut costs.

Of course back then not everyone entered U21 qualifying either.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Winning this group would be one helluva achievement.

Would be a great chance for the lads to put themselves in the shop window ahead of the Euros in June (if they get out the u21 group stage, then that would complicate things!)

A great opportunity for Campbell, Turnbull, McRorie, Mclennan, Hornby, and Gilmour to really burnish their credentials.

Doohan, Harvie, Porteous, Johnston, Campbell, Hornby, Middleton, Maguire, McLennan, Ferguson, McCrorie

I'm always giving SG stick for his team selections, so this time I'll say: you've done it again, you absolute idiot