Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

November 2095

5diM8ez.png

No league matches this month for reasons that don't seem immediately apparent, but magnificent stuff there. We dragged Basel into a scrap of a game, and they couldn't deal with it. Not one for the football purists, but I'll take the three points. Cup game was ropey, but we got there in the end despite being down to ten men, which is all that matters.

A great win away in Poland to round off the month. Very different to the Basel win, we actually just took the game to them and created plenty of chances and thoroughly deserved to win. Great stuff.

lau8jFt.png

We didn't have any games, but other teams did so here's the table. Even further behind the top side.

oQ6tgfg.png

And in Europe, two wins mean that a point at home against Brondby will put us through to the knockout stages. There are probably still ways we can go through with a loss, but I'm not sure what they are. 

Senegal

uq385Db.png

I didn't take charge of the home leg, but very pleased with that away win in my first match in charge, and it sees us into the Third stage of qualifying for the world cup.

There are not very many good players in the national pool though, so I'm looking to try and build that up and also convince a few boys who have absolutely no chance of playing for France to join up with us - unsuccessfully so far.

o1DZb4g.png

And that, I would think, will between us and Ivory Coast. The top side qualifies for the world cup, but if we're one of the best three runners up we go through as well, while the fourth best gets a playoff. 

December 2095

EFsg2dD.png

Two wins in the league and we managed the draw that we needed to take us through to the knockout stages of the Europa Conference League. Can't have any complaints with that. We have a mid-season break between now and the middle of January, so some time to strengthen the squad now for the rest of the season.

Y3hkz6Q.png

We have games in hand on everyone ahead of us, but it looks like Craiova are going to run away with it, so we're just in a fight for a European spot this season.

6tQt8v2.png

The exact opposite of what I thought would happen in this group but delighted to be through. It'll be my first European knockout games since my Kozara days 20 seasons ago.

January 2096

Couple of players out the door - most notably Andrei Andrei who was one of my promising young players, but ultimately would take a while to be a valuable player for me so off he went. 

On the other way, I shelled out a bit over eight million quid bringing in two guys - Petr Linhart and Mircea Besutiu. 

Linhart is a left back, which has been a bit of an area of concern for me, and he's solid enough. Very, very fit player and good physically, while his technical ability isn't fantastic. He works really hard as well though, so should do fine and ultimately, at worst, he gives me a bit of depth where I didn't really have any before.

Spoiler

8hJhnGV.png

Besutiu is a winger, and he's got the makings of a very good player. Young, quick, great touch and ability to go past a man, and once he does that, he looks to have some end product as well. I'm pleased with him.

Spoiler

3u8QztE.png

4mvEeD9.png

And on the pitch, it was a very good month for us with five wins and a draw, which really should have been six wins but whatever. All of these were teams we should be doing well against, but we can only beat what we're up against.

Good to see new boy Besutiu get on the scoresheet as well.

3P31SH1.png

And with that we're starting to open up a bit of a gap on the team below us, while also having games in hand on those directly ahead.

Univsersitatea are running away with is, but I'd like to hope that we can join Viitorul and Cluj in the group just below them.

February 2096

One more signing this month, with striker Adrian Nicola joining on loan from Univesitatea Craiova. I had him in my Tabor Sezana side, and he was really good, while I needed a third-choice striker since Judas Ntshangase has done f**k all when he's played. He's a pretty decent player, but nothing special. I still think he'll do fine enough.

Spoiler

Z2fkACS.png

nBCiujE.png

And it's been an absolutely perfect month on the pitch.

Besutiu has proven himself to be an outstanding signing already. He's got 5 goals and 4 assists in his 10 games so far, and just generally seems able to take the piss out of most of the teams we're up against. Lovely.

pLedbz7.png

We've muscled our way into the top two, and hopefully we'll stay there. 

Europa Conference League - Second Knockout Round - First Leg - March 2096

Spoiler

2TFMHzD.png

What a result that is, and with this being FM21 the away goals rule is still in effect here making it even better.

There wasn't much in it in the first half, before they got a slightly questionable penalty to take the lead. They carried that momentum into the second half and had a few decent chances before we got back on level terms following a great counterattack. That utterly rattled them allowing us to score a couple more and make the scoreline pretty comfortable in the end. It was basically a case of one team being clinical while the other wasn't

Still a chance that this could all turn to absolute shit in the home leg, but I'm optimistic.

Europa Conference League - Second Knockout Round - Second Leg - March 2096

Spoiler

1lUrMKH.png

Comfortably saw it out in the home leg, and we're heading to the quarter finals. We only really created two chances in the game, and took both of them, and we were very effective at the back to limit them to basically nothing. 

GICF4fz.png

And now we're heading to Austria.

March 2096

5r6coj9.png

Another month of winning every game we played, including a massive win over Univesitatea Craiova. We've now won 15 of our last 16 games in the league (drawing the other) which is a ridiculous run of form. That win over Craiova puts us within touching distance of them though, and maybe there will be a title challenge this season after all?

MOIRcKl.png

Our incredible form has coincided with a mini-collapse from them, as they lost three in a row, and we're now three points behind with a game in hand (against bottom side Petrolul). It's getting interesting.

Our dominance this month can, I think, be summed up by the below.

Zo12nNd.png

Senegal

gZbstgI.png

African Cup of Nations Qualifying started out this month, and it was nearly a frustrating start against Sudan. They'd set out to try to get a 0-0, and almost managed it through a combination of good defending, and dreadful finishing. A late penalty came to the rescue though.

Namibia aren't very good.

qRGOTrk.png

And I think we'll be qualifying relatively easily from this. I'd like to think we'll take 18 points. 

Europa Conference League - Quarter Final - First Leg - April 2096

Spoiler

dk67cSa.png

Another famous win away in Europe for us, this time in Austria. A well worked opening goal was quickly cancelled out by us not defending a free kick properly, and after that the game kind of fizzled out into both teams having decent build up play and no final ball. Very few chances, but then we got a reasonably soft-looking penalty near the end to give us another lead to hold on to in Romania.

Europa Conference League - Quarter Final - Second Leg - April 2096

Spoiler

kNwRkXK.png

Job done with a minimum of fuss. Comfortably able to nullify any threats they had, and we were the more threatening side, without actually scoring ourselves.

Not the most exciting match, but it sees us into the semifinal of a European competition.

INcW9hq.png

Where we'll be playing Dunfermline - who are now a comfortable top 6 side in Scotland, having only finished outside it once in the last 17 years.

They've knocked out Saint Ettiene, and Universistatea Craiova on their way here, so it'll be a tough game.

Fellow Romanian side Cluj are playing AC Milan in the other semi final.

Europa Conference League - Semi Final - First Leg - April 2096

Spoiler

SP554Hm.png

It's a loss, but we're still very much in the tie. Dunfermline are a really good side, it would seem, with Alzate up front a genuinely exceptional striker. That said, we gave them a good game, and really should have grabbed a draw after the red card but just couldn't find the back of the net.

We go to Fife next week, and it'll be a big, big effort to get through.

April 2096

q5DGf69.png

Busy month.

I made an arse of it against Petrolul by resting far too many players, and the guys I brought in just didn't do the job. We then had a man sent off against Dinamo with about 75 minutes to go, so good to hang on to the win there.

Since the league split, it's been two narrow wins and two slightly fortuitous draws. Need to pick it up a bit.

We're all but guaranteed to be in the cup final though, which is lovely stuff.

GZDrJFc.png

Top half, so it's a group of six and we start with half our points total, but it's going well just now. Obviously, Craiova have the game in hand, but we're favourites just now. 

Matchday 35 - May 2096

Spoiler

xjRpIOB.png

Aw f**k. This came two days after the Dunfermline second leg and I needed to rest a load of guys, but it's not helped at all.

vXYA3xn.png

Our lead is down to three points with them having a game in hand.

We're facing them in our next league game, which is absolutely huge now. 

Romanian Cup Semi Final - Second Leg - May 2096

hyIqTxn.png

Given we won the first leg 4-0, this was always likely to be a formality and so it proved with two goals in the opening ten minutes. We stopped playing after that, but it was already job done and into the final we go.

We're playing FCSB, who I think are one of the teams that claim to be Steaua Bucharest, but I'm not sure which one.

Matchday 36 - May 2096

Spoiler

OYR7I2N.png

An absolutely massive victory for us, and we're getting very close to the title now.

Pierandrea Patta is quickly becoming one of my favourite players in the whole save. Pops up with important goals all the fucking time, and it was no different here. The rest of the game was fairly even, with both sides having spells of pressure before a late own goal secured it for us.

1I6fFLO.png

That gives us a nice cushion, even with their game in hand.

We're getting close.

Matchday 37 - May 2096

Spoiler

dWPQ2u6.png

I'll start with our game, and a relatively comfortable victory over a team of also rans. After the red card, they were never in the game and in all honesty we should have scored a few more goals, but the three points are the main thing.

Craiova were busy playing CFR Cluj twice in three days

Spoiler

BBtGFdh.png

That's not helpful.

Spoiler

TpMmi6y.png

But that really, really is.

ft0B82H.png

One win and any dropped points from them and we're there.

Matchday 38 - May 2096

Spoiler

Fz03U5h.png

Well, we've done our bit, and it's Patta again with the goal. That's his ninth league goal, and fifteenth total, of the season. Some boy.

Another game that we did deserve to win, and again we maybe should have made it more comfortable than we did.

Would it be enough for us to wrap up the title?

Spoiler

2MQNh6M.png

YES.

You may remember Gaz Metan Medias from such classics as me calling them a team of also rans a whole one post ago, but they've done us a huge favour here. Delightful stuff.

ItVJOxN.png

Po8htXg.png

oweEgbe.png

And that's step one in my pursuit of a treble.

Next up is the cup final.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow