Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

Europa League Qualification Playoff - August 2105

As above, we're travelling to southwestern Serbia to take on Novi Pazar with a place in the Europa League group stages up for grabs. I think we're favourites to get through, but who knows really.

Spoiler

J7d0cSx.png

Aye, we'll be going through. They're no very good, and we're no bad at all.

Spoiler

L9S58nI.png

And another very, very comfortable win for us.

Sends us into the group stages without ever really getting out of first gear. Lovely stuff. 

August 2105

Will start the month with a signing - Pierluigi Boschiroli on a free transfer from Internazionale. I agreed the signing in March but had to wait until his contract expired to get him. He's a good defensive midfielder, really good at winning the ball back, good physically and strong in the air. He has plenty of room to improve, and I think he will and become a really good player at this level.

Spoiler

ONpOt8Y.png

46CeAYf.png

We were absolutely stinking in the game against Odd. None of my players turned up at all.

But other than that, all good stuff. Valarenga got nowhere near us, and they're in third place, so that's a positive sign. Paulo Criciuma has been in sensational form too, which is lovely - hope that continues.

r4Him29.png

It's between us and Molde now. A good place to be. 

September 2105

RBqwIQB.png

Mixed month. We competed well against Club Brugge, and probably deserved to get a point out of it, but it wasn't to be, but we were really poor against Haugesund in the following game, and they're a good enough side to take advantage of that. 

The other two were decent enough wins against sides I would expect to be beating.

5gBbn6Z.png

Molde had their first loss of the season, so we remain two ahead at the top of the table. Need to pick up performances again though.

TmmrLEH.png

And there's the group. We have Lazio at home and Glentoran away next month. 

October 2105

eFt47Pc.png

We lost to Lazio, because they're much better than us, and followed it up with a frustrating draw at home to Rosenborg. Really should've beaten them, but whatever.

A couple of narrow wins in the league, and a very welcome victory against Glentoran to put us in a good position to get through in Europe. 

O9WZSmw.png

Four games left, and we finish our season away at Molde. That could be absolutely huge - unless we make an arse of it beforehand and it doesn't matter.

NI5Fa4E.png

And that's the group in Europe, where we've a chance of going through or getting the Conference League.

It's all going well.

Matchday 27 - November 2105

Spoiler

QX4zTUQ.png

A good, if somewhat cagey at times, win over third placed Bodo/Glimt. We were a bit lucky to be level at half time with the own goal, but the second half performance was the best we've played in a while, and nice to see Emilsson get some goals - he's now on 15 goals/assists this season.

esTOOqO.png

That was our game in hand, so it stays level at the top.

GQHSCbM.png

But regardless of what else happens, we've guaranteed this which is something.

Europa League Group stage - Game 4 - November 2105

zr5hfBC.png

We were by far the better side, and should've been comfortable winners, but just couldn't get the goal we needed. If we had, I think we'd have gotten two or three but oh well.

r4zeGU7.png

We're playing Club Brugge next, so that's a big one for us.

Matchday 28 - November 2105

Spoiler

P1vLmK7.png

4SgA55N.png

No change there then. Paulo Criciuma's goal was sensational, but ultimately it doesn't really matter because their goal difference is so far ahead that it's not going to matter.

v6UhZWJ.png

Still level, and looking like we're going to be playing a winner takes all game soon.

Europa League Group Stage - Game 5 - November 2105

XbFQIFr.png

Great result, and we deserved it to be honest. They hit the bar, but that was it, so very pleased. Leaves us in a good spot.

eHlxqLW.png

Would be a better spot if Lazio hadn't chucked it and lost to fucking Glentoran, but we're definitely staying in Europe after Christmas so that's good. 

Europa League Group Stage - Game 6 - December 2105

xGNoSmp.png

Again, Lazio are better than we are so no shame in losing to them. We did get one decent chance but didn't take it, and they probably could've scored a few more.

ZRDIpEn.png

yxcAfgL.png

And it means, for the second year running, we drop into the Conference League. 

Transfers 2106

qIK7Ttg.png

bfcdINK.png

A couple of retirees and some young guys out on loan. Not as much of an overhaul this season, which I'm pretty pleased with.

SWuXQAU.png

XU41EpA.png

And that's the incoming players. As I said, not as much squad overhaul this season.

Tobias Naess Lund is a young midfielder, he's really here to provide some depth to the squad. But he has some good qualities, and plenty of potential to get better.

Spoiler

B9kWvTk.png

Simon Henriksen is a left back and, by the standards of Norwegian football, a very good one. Really solid defensively, very fit and can actually play a little bit as well. He's not great at crossing (an understatement), but that's really the only thing missing from his game. Definitely better than anything else I've had there in my time at Aalesund though.

Spoiler

REm66n8.png

Amir El Tahir is a centre half, and he's a Norwegian international as well. Great player for this level. Really good defensively, good on the ball, great physically and good game intelligence. Absolutely delighted to get him in, especially on a free transfer.

Spoiler

mr1pwJh.png

Harry Davies is the guy I've spent some money on, and he looks really, really worth it. He has everything in his game to be a top striker here, and he's only 23 as well. Buzzing with him.

Spoiler

62acfG0.png

Frans Asgeirsson is a utility defender, and he's here as cover for the first team. Fairly cheap, and the fact he can play all along the back line is fantastic. Good defender too, and only 20. Unlikely to ever be a first choice, but every squad needs guys like him.

Spoiler

v79il7l.png

Europa Conference League - First Knockout Round - February 2106

Spoiler

GkVCZa5.png

A slow start, but after their goal we got our act together and took control of the game. We're a better side than they are, and should get through.

Davies looked really good on his debut as well.

Spoiler

TOMFzaz.png

Yeah, no problem at all for us. Tie was over after 8 minutes with that Davies goal, and we continued on from there. I thought we'd get through comfortably and we have done so.

S4K9PUi.png

Next up - Yeovil Town. I know in real life, they're absolutely shite but they've become, inexplicably, a very solid Premiership side finishing third in 2096, winning the Carabao Cup in 2088 and being runners up in the Europa Conference League in 2089.

That'll be very tough. 

Norwegian Supercup - 2106

1Zwa3G7.png

Having me lose this on penalties seems cruel and unnecessary given yesterday's events, but what can you do.

On the positive note though, I think this is the most even game we've had against them. They were still a better side than us, but there wasn't a gulf in quality this time. If we can maintain that, then who knows. 

Europa Conference League - Second Knockout Round - March 2106

Spoiler

fFABECB.png

A game where everything that could go right, did. Our first was a well worked move, well finished by Criciuma and then we saw out the first half well.

Our second goal was not well worked. A corner was floated in, and their goalkeeper - a champions league winner with 57 England caps - dropped the ball at the feet of my centre half to tap in. Wonderful. A third followed with a Rui Costa v England esque goal off the bar.

A phenomenal evening in Western Norway.

Spoiler

hzOOmSM.png

The away goal rule comes to my aid yet again.

The pumping that they probably should've given us in both legs, but because of a shitshow for them in our stadium means that we're going through. Our goal was another poor bit of defending by them to allow a man completely unmarked at the back post. 

But we've beaten Premiership opponents.

ug7LZMq.png

And our journey will take us back to the Balkans and Croatian giants.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

March 2106

pzo0hTE.png

Obviously we had the above fixtures in there too, but that's a really decent start in the league. Four goals for my new striker already, and a good win over what should be a good Rosenborg team.

Early signs look promising.

Crk2lsU.png

And Molde already dropping points.

Could be a good season for us.

Europa Conference League - Quarter Finals - April 2106

Spoiler

qinTWbD.png

We should have won this game, but just couldn't take our chances. Will need to go to Zagreb and get something.

Spoiler

wyIeFpd.png

Jack Leonard is a hero. We had a tough time in the first half, and were pretty lucky to only be a goal down but Leonard dragged us kicking and screaming into the semi-finals.

GGDBEUh.png

I think it goes without saying, but I will fucking love it if we beat them.

April 2106

GtzVLvs.png

We continue to fly along in the league as well. That draw was frustrating, but it happens, and then I played basically entirely second string players in both cup games. We had four goals disallowed in the first one which is a record for me I think.

tvMor2d.png

We have dropped off the top, but will return if we win one of our two games in hand. Molde continue to have a poor season by their standards too, so this is a real chance.