Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

August 2103

BSt4dT4.png

That Viking result is a contender for the worst result of the entire save. On the face of it, it's just losing to a fairly poor team, but they had ten men for 81 minutes of the game. Disgraceful.

Other than that, we actually did well - that Rosenborg game was a wonderful defensive performance and saw a 17 year old Linus Kjorvik grab his first league goal for us from a direct free kick. Lovely stuff.

6qZaKFK.png

It brings us back into the top four, where I'm hopeful we can stay. We have Valarenga away and Tromso at home in consecutive games in a few months time, which will be pivotal. 

September 2103

z8oyh1m.png

As I've said, Bodo/Glimt have our number and, while we competed well for the first half, we were never going to win that one. Two good wins to follow it up though.

RnJKeL6.png

We stay in fourth. Still have a slight chance of finishing second too.

October 2103

ZT5kUyB.png

Valarenga have fallen away a bit recently, so disappointing not to beat them, and then e followed it up with a good performance against Tromso, but without being able to actually score a goal. It was a chance to totally kill them off in the qualification race, so that's a shame, but they've not gained any ground on us I suppose.

Ranheim was a shite match but we got the win secured.

EIzD4B0.png

It's two from three for fourth and fifth. The cup final is Molde and Rosenborg, so fifth will be enough for Europe, but we're in pole position just now.

Sogndal up next.

November 2103

ITpNWT6.png

The perfect time to pull that run of form out the bag. Played really well in all three games, and Engelin has managed to get himself back scoring exactly when required.

b6d5sae.png

It leaves us in second place going into the final game, which isn't something I thought we had in us.

We're, unfortunately, playing Molde, while Bodo/Glimt and Rosenborg have trips to Stabaek and Valarenga respectively. European football is assured, but if we get a result here we could be playing champions league qualifiers next season.

December 2103

ZpXRTsZ.png

Probably went about as I'd have expected, to be honest. Despite a great season for us, they're still miles ahead. We did keep it respectable in the second half and had a few half-chances to get back into it, but deservedly beaten. Leaves us needing favours from elsewhere.

Spoiler

h5HwXMX.png

OHFnORR.png

aQ8hof4.png

YASS

Some collapse from the pair of them, Bodo only managed 3 points from their final 4 games, while Rosenborg got 5 from theirs.

wfmlZrz.png

And it means a second-placed finish for us, and, as above, we'll be running out to the Champions league theme next season.

Transfers 2104

2a4ZHSd.png

dP66Chu.png

No real losses. My deal to bring in Pavel Hajek has turned out to be a shocker - spent 1.3 million on him, he scored 4 goals in 21 games and went back to his old club for a massive loss 2 seasons later. Would've been nice to keep Kjorsvik and see how he developed, but £1.1 million up front for, ultimately, my third choice striker is a decent deal.

9GIwU4u.png

FNQEzjt.png

And far fewer players coming in, but hopefully of a better standard. Cristovao extended his loan for another season as well.

You might remember Nicolas Aguilar from last season when I signed him and he immediately fucked his cruciate ligaments and got recalled. Anyway. he's back again, and so far has managed to remain able to walk. He's quick, and good on the ball so should do quite well in this division as a right winger. Not entirely convinced he'll make it at AC Milan, but that's no really my problem.

Spoiler

9tOvFdb.png

Mats Skjeldestad is a centre half. Being blunt, I wanted to sign a new centre back, and he was my third choice but the other two got better offers so he's here now.. Not great in the air, but he's good at defending on the deck and his physical stats are impressive. He improved my first 11 definitely.

Spoiler

4roqLnW.png

Henrik Berntsen is a squad filler. He's a decent technical player and should do fine if he's called upon, but I'd hope that won't be too often.

Spoiler

EXajsuU.png

The one I'm most excited is Dyego. c**t has 80 caps for Brazil and has spent his career doing this.

VUduKZy.png

A fucking world cup winner at Aalesund.

He's obviously on his way down as a player now, and no longer the winger that he once was, so he'll be playing as a central midfielder for me. He's better than anything else I have there, and a really technically gifted player, and mentally fantastic. The only thing which I guess is obvious for a 35 year old, is that he can't really run much now. Oh well.

Spoiler

4MeOXzD.png

Eoghan Fox is also old as f**k, and while not as decorated as Dyego, he has played at a much higher level than we're at previously, with spells at Man City, Inter Milan and Marseille. He's pretty much done as player, but he's here to be a third choice striker and barely play.

Spoiler

170QQsQ.png

For context, this is what Molde have done in the transfer window, and what I'm up against:

ai4tOYT.png

Norwegian Supercup - March 2104

ULBi55N.png

By virtue of finishing second behind Molde, who also won the cup, we were in the supercup and put in a decent enough showing, but nothing close to winning it. The two goalscorers were a boy that cost them 26 and a half million quid, and a boy who's been on the fringes of the Real Madrid first team, so I'm not that mad about it.

March 2104

qjhHDtb.png

A good start, especially the win over Bodo/Glimt. A last minute winner over Brann was lovely as well, although we probably shouldn't have needed to rescue it that late on against a firmly midtable side.

hL56Bos.png

But early doors and we're doing fine.

April 2104

oJ0aXxj.png

A disappointing loss against Rosenborg, who are admittedly a decent side, to start us off but other than it's been another good month. None of our victories have been particularly comfortable, but as long as we keep winning I'll be happy.

Two routine victories against lower league sides sees us through in the cup as well.

GpvGxyv.png

Molde are going to win the league again. They're scoring almost 4 goals a game on average.

Still, if we can establish ourselves as second best for a while and build from there, I'll be pleased.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How the f**k is the Norwegian league bringing in 40 million pound transfers?

It's only Molde that are doing it - next highest spenders are spending about one to two million on players at most.

Dunfermline spent £43 million on someone last season so I think things just go a bit wild after a while. 

May 2104

uZ99nxb.png

Mixed, I think I'll say. Disappointed to lose to Viking, but we didn't play particularly well and they deserved the win.

y83vFmX.png

It sees us drop a few points behind Valarenga in third place.

Still plenty of time to claim second spot though.

Loved reading this thread so much that I'm trying this myself, albeit only in the European leagues in the base game. Trying to stick with the 'teams who haven't won it before' rule, and it's a ****ing slog. :lol: Working my way up the co-efficient so started in Wales and I keep getting incredibly close with Connah's Quay, but still just can't topple TNS. ****s.

June 2104

n0o4jzA.png

A better month, including seeing us through to a cup semi-final. We were unfortunate not to make it five wins out of five with a decent enough performance against Sogndal, but I'll certainly take it.

aqJfIDb.png

Still in third place, but there's a while to go yet.

Champions League Third Qualifying Round - August 2104

Spoiler

E1MaB8n.png

A draw, and the last minute equaliser was glorious, but they're definitely a better side than we are, and I wouldn't that we'll be going much further in the Champions League this year.

Still, let's see what happens in Belgrade.

Spoiler

lY42HKt.png

As I thought, and it wasn't to be. We did play well enough and created a few decent moments which we didn't capitalise on, but ultimately they have better players than we do.

We'll drop into the Europa League group stage. 

August 2104

First thing that happened is Aguilar got recalled by AC Milan and sent to Feyenoord, so I needed a new right midfielder. In his place, I've brought in another young loanee from Italy - Manuel Barbieri. He's labelled as a wonderkid, very good technically and quite fast. He needs to be refined, obviously, but will do a job for the rest of the season.

Spoiler

WwC8VyB.png

eG4mlik.png

Champions League games aside, a very good month for us. Three comprehensive wins and a draw where we should've won. 

66PSuBr.png

We're probably coasting towards finishing third, which I'll take happily.

Dyego, Fox and Steele have all announced that they'll be retiring, Carvallo has signed a pre-contract elsewhere and Cristovao doesn't want to stay on loan so there's a big rebuild for the end of the season.