Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

September 2104

s3aplPN.png

A poor month, other than reaching the cup final. Feyenoord was a decent performance from us, but they are very clinical.

Shite in the league as well. 

jpOghRd.png

We're still in third, but we're facing all of the other top four sides next month so that'll be interesting in terms of where we end up. Three wins and anything (other than winning the league) could be possible. 

October 2104

FCX3Ons.png

Well, we beat Viking which has meant that at least third place is looking good, and we got a point in Ukraine, but not great apart from that. We were very close to a famous point in Gelsenkirchen, but they finally broke our resistance in the 88th minute and then again after that.

A really poor result against Valarenga though - they were down to ten for a lot of the game, and we didn't take advantage.

Cpv9JXd.png

Four games to go, we're likely to finish third. Still a decent result.

zx7hr2g.png

And here we're not going to go through, but if I can beat Shakhtar at home then we'll head to the Conference League.

November 2104

oc0UNgF.png

A good run to end the season off, other than a frustrating loss against Shakhtar. We did deserve to lose to them, so fair enough, but it's a disappointing one. We did however, manage to get a win in De Kuip, which was pretty spectacular.

The league's done, but we've got two more games to go.

Kjg40l6.png

As I've known for months now, we've finished third. Which is still perfectly decent.

rH8912a.png

And we're still in with an outside chance of continuing in Europe. If we win, we're going through to the next round of something. A draw will be enough if Shakhtar win, sending us to the next round of the Europa Conference League.

That said, we're playing Schalke so even a draw is unlikely.

Up first though, the cup final. 

Norwegian Cup Final - 2104

We're looking to win the cup for the first time since 2011, so a historic day for the club. We haven't actually been in a final since then either.

Our route to the final has looked like this:

Bl8agLx.png

A few easy games to kick us off, and then we've been fairly unconvincing in the latter stages. But we're in the final anyway. 

Our opponents are Bodo/Glimt, who finished directly behind us in the league, but we beat twice. We've got a chance. My main concern is that we played in the Netherlands a few days ago, and some of my players are still struggling. It also means that qualification for next season's Europa League is up for grabs in this one game.

Anyway, onto the game.

Spoiler

nAcfJgW.png

I owe Jan Arne Eckbo a massive, massive debt of gratitude for that. A sensational goalkeeping performance is all that stopped us from losing this game by half time, and it continued in the second half. A last minute equaliser was great, but extra time saw another few good moments from him before we nearly won it in the 122nd minute.

Penalty shootout came and we were perfect, and the boy Eckbo brought out another moment with the decisive save.

uOFKFum.png

mBFWEwB.png

And with it, our first piece of silverware of my reign, and a first major honour in almost 100 years for the club.

Scenes.

December 2104

rH8912a.png

The group looks like this at the start of the day, and we know what we need to do. A win will send us through to something, a draw might be enough if Shakhtar win. If they draw and we win, we're in the next round of the Europa League. Anything else, and it's Conference League at best.

Spoiler

aMpTvFZ.png

That last minute winner has send Shakhtar through, but it means if we can pick up anything then we're still in Europe.

Spoiler

AfyULvN.png

Glorious.

The last game of his professional career and Dyego produced the goods. A screamer to start us off, and generally just strolled around like he owned the place. A great performance.

pZqAcB9.png

qo6XjWG.png

Transfers 2105

B8NNNWR.png

l7asOQH.png

QFuNy88.png

Quite a lot of guys leaving, a fair number of whom were actual first team squad players. Dyego, Steele and Tveit all made numerous appearances for me last season, while Wallin, Carvallo and Gudnason were on the fringes and have been good players previously.

Big rebuild job required then.

8k1ddXV.png

84WqIoY.png

And with that in mind, I've brought in loads of players.

Before getting into it, I want to say that my board are an absolute pain in the arse. They've got a thing about signing players under 23, so have blocked me from signing a few players on that basis. Describing a 24 year old as "at the wrong end of their career" is a bit of a nonsense. Anyway.

Paulo Criciuma is a Brazillian right midfielder. I think he's technically brilliant with pace and a bit of flair. I do worry that he might be a bit of a sand dancer without much in the way of end product, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. He should be an entertaining player for the Aalesund fans to watch anyway. Probably not quite as good as either Aguilar or Barbieri that I had last season, bur as a free transfer I'm delighted with him.

Spoiler

BW71xzJ.png

Jan Arne Normann is a centre midfielder, and is really here to provide depth and possibly challenge to get into the first 11. He's more of an attack minded midfielder, which is fine, and has some deficiencies defensively, but technically he's very good. Should be a good addition, again on a free.

Spoiler

omvU5HI.png

August Rodahl is a young winger, who can play on either side, and looks a pretty good prospect. He's young, cheap and provides cover in a few areas.

Spoiler

yq5e4nn.png

Ole Kristian Nesterby is my backup goalkeeper. I needed one, the one I wanted signed for someone else, so he's my second pick but he was cheap and will be largely fine I suppose. 

Spoiler

KZfJngd.png

Eirik Andersen was one of the players I convinced the board to let me sign when they tried to block it. A right back, he's about as solid as anyone in Norway (apart from Molde) are going to be able to get, so I'm pleased. He's not great going forward, but that's quite often the case with full backs here.

Spoiler

PdohdLL.png

Lucas Neve is a centre half, and seems to be a pretty good one. He's got a good bit of pace, and he's 6'6 so there's that. I think he will do very well in Norwegian football. Cost a wee bit but that's fine, hopefully he's worth it.

Spoiler

G35gllU.png

Ingo Erben is a striker, and looks really good. Technically gifted, I can see why he's at Benfica. If he was slightly faster, I think he'd be well out of my league, but he's here now. Other than pace, I think he has everything I'd want from a centre forward.

Spoiler

7jriYL7.png

Liu Chun is a left back, and he's a bit like Andersen in that he's good defensively, but not great going forward. Still, he should be good and make the team better, and mean that I have an option in that area of the pitch.

Spoiler

x7H74d4.png

Heigi Freyr Emilsson is an attacking midfielder, and should be good. There's areas for improvement - I'd like him to a better passer - but at 20, there's lots to like already and plenty of time for him to develop.

Spoiler

YE0Nuzo.png

Mikkel Kjaer is a young midfielder, and is one for the future. I've loaned him out immediately and will see how he's develops.

Spoiler

OEgwk0d.png

Per-Ole Tryti is the big money transfer, but I think he's worth it. A legitimately brilliant passer of the ball, good vision, good control and tends to make the right decisions. Only 22 years old, so not even the finished article yet. I think he'll be a big player for us.

Spoiler

Da6brhi.png

Europa Conference League - First Knockout Round - February 2105

I forgot to get a screenshot, but we've been drawn against Zorya Luhansk of Ukraine. Tough tie, but one we can definitely win.

Spoiler

D4KAZd8.png

A good first leg, and a really good goal from Diaz. This also came near the start of my rebuild, so I didn't have much on the bench or my full team together yet, so really pleased. Gives us something to hang on to.

Spoiler

9DgCEQs.png

We got there via another penalty shootout which we seem to becoming very good at. We did deserve it on the balance of play, I think, although I would say that.

Anyway, into the next round we go.

srzr4wa.png

I think that's about the best draw we could've got. Don't get me wrong, they'll be a good side but there's teams like Arsenal and Getafe in the draw.

Europa Conference League - Second Knockout Round - March 2105

Spoiler

wM3WuIx.png

We were completely dominant in this game, but just couldn't force the ball in. A really frustrating night, as I can't imagine we'll do the same in Serbia, but I think we have a good shot to get through here.

Spoiler

voE4sGH.png

Away goal rule comes up trumps yet again. They were better than they were in the first leg, but we still dominated and definitely deserved to go through. We're into the quarter finals!

e36BaH3.png

Where we'll be taking on Bundesliga opposition. A tough test.

Norwegian Supercup - March 2105

As last season's cup winners, we're once again in the season opening supercup. And, as always, we're playing Molde. 

Spoiler

xk0g3wl.png

Only this time we've beaten them!

I will say, they are a far, far better side than us and really should've won the game, as the below stats should demonstrate.

z1N6Rw5.png

Basically, I'm pleased we won this game, and we're a better side than we were last season, but I do think there's a bit of a gulf still and we'll need everything to go right for us if we're to win the league this season.

spX3gl9.png

BmTN0EK.png

How does it work with squad registrations for European competitions in countries like Norway?

If you were in Scotland you only get to make 3 changes or so before the knockout stages but that could be difficult to manage when you are going through your "summer" transfer window.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

How does it work with squad registrations for European competitions in countries like Norway?

If you were in Scotland you only get to make 3 changes or so before the knockout stages but that could be difficult to manage when you are going through your "summer" transfer window.

Aye, thats the case here as well so a load of my new guys can't play in Europe. Anyone 21 or under is automatically eligible which is helpful, but it's a pain in the arse.

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, thats the case here as well so a load of my new guys can't play in Europe. Anyone 21 or under is automatically eligible which is helpful, but it's a pain in the arse.

Well that is shite.

Have you had any new signings pissed off that they haven't been registered?

Europa Conference League - Quarter Final - April 2105

Spoiler

5DOkQtX.png

Aye, fair play they were simply better than we were. Leaves us in a tricky spot with regards to our journey going any further for this season. Still the home leg to go though.

Spoiler

InIoVs4.png

We had a few moments, including a very tight offside call, but ultimately we didn't have enough and we're heading out.

May 2105

aFCqrkf.png

We were really unlucky not to make it a clean sweep of wins here, hitting the post three times against Brann and basically doing everything apart from actually score. Some really good results elsewhere though, including wins against Haugesund and Rosenborg who've both started well enough.

No goals conceded this month either, which is nice. Defensive partnerships starting to take shape.

iJzu7it.png

And it leaves us top of the league a third into the season. Molde have a game in hand, but we'll still be ahead regardless.

July 2105

3WJ1tRe.png

A brilliant month, as far as I'm concerned. A draw with Molde where neither team really deserved anything else probably suits me more than them, and we comfortably took care of the other two games.

JRCA65v.png

Everyone is caught up in games, and we're three points ahead - slightly better than I thought it'd be.

Molde haven't lost a game yet, but aren't having a brilliant season by their standards. We have a chance. The only problem is that it's the transfer window next month, I have no money to play with and no doubt that they'll go out and spend 70 odd million on someone.