Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

January 2107

5QCAu4o.png

I'll start with the two signings I made in my first month. As above van der Veen is immediately injured for most of the season, and both of them are intended as short term fixes anyway.

Theo van der Veen is a right back, and is a very attacking one, by which I mean he can't fucking defend. He is actually relatively good going forward, and you never get both at this level, but still. He should do fine, and is versatile, but I can see him costing us a few goals. He can't play this season anyway.

Spoiler

CARieRz.png

Mateusz Wojtkowiak joins on loan, and isn't great but he's better than the defensive midfielders I had. He'll just sit in front of the defence and break up play, and I have no expectations of him doing anything else at all. A solid player.

Spoiler

ddkYwkt.png

8pUd4yF.png

A spectacular start though, with the new manager bounce well and truly in effect. Beating top of the league Fehervar was great, and totally unexpected, before we made up ground on Honved who are directly ahead of us.

Through in the cup too. Can't ask for much more.

TMw9uvE.png

So it sees us still sixth, but with some distance on the team below and breathing down the necks of those above.

We're highly unlikely to get relegated, so whatever happens I'll be happy.

February 2107

YzR9hhQ.png

Decent enough I suppose, given where we are as a club. Good win over Ujpest and a couple of draws keeps the points ticking over, while we're still in the cup as well.

We also did well to only lose 2-0 to Diosgyor, given they're top of the league and we had ten men for the whole second half.

I'm pleased with things.

iY2yOGY.png

Still sitting nicely midtable.

However, on the last day of the month, this happened.

mr8VpRx.png

Met his release clause, so nothing I could do. We get 50% of any future transfers as well, so that's something. Should add, Fabian was my best player. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

March 2107

4Bmri37.png

We're not actually that good, it would seem. We were maybe a bit unlucky to lose against Vasas, but other than that got what we deserved, including getting aa horsing from Ferencvaros.

The cup exit was a pisser though. Losing to a last minute away goal in extra time. As I said, a pisser.

xfbrIVu.png

But we're still sitting in sixth, and very safe. 

May 2107

EQ1r3v5.png

Same as last month, Fodor got his first goal which isn't bad for a 15 year old.

8wXelUa.png

And we eventually finish in seventh.

I'm glad the season is over. Large chunks of my playing squad are nowhere near good enough, so a chance to punt them and get new guys in is delightful.

Transfers 2107

1MZ3ZY0.png

Sk1B3tw.png

RPxKK2M.png

As I said, a big clear out required. None of these guys were good enough, which just shows how much deadweight my squad was carrying. A couple of the young guys on loan might turn out ok, but probably they'll just be on the released list in a few seasons.

Anyway, punting 18 players obviously leaves some room for reinforcements.

gSJAIJH.png

Colin Hogarth is a striker/right winger who joins from Scottish Championship side Livingston (though the vast majority of his playing time has been in League Two with Edinburgh City). However, we're at a poor-ish level, and he'll do well in it. A good dribbler, he's also quick and a decent finisher. There's obviously some glaring holes in his game - his movement's not great, and he can't cross for shit, but he'll do fine here.

Spoiler

gTLRj8H.png

The second of my three Scottish imports is Craig McIntosh. who joins from Clyde. He's done a bit better than Hogarth and has several seasons at League One level under his belt. A left winger/wing back, he's another good dribbler, a bit better than Hogarth in terms of his delivery and able to get up and down the flank. Not great defensively, which isn't ideal for the wing back role, but he's as good as I'll get presently.

Spoiler

FPQtSKf.png

Next up - Matej Kraljevic. He's one of a couple of centre halves I've brought in, but he can also cover left back effectively which is ideal. Physically very good, and he's good at marking but he's not the best tackler or in the air. However, I'm planning a back three so hopefully the other two can cover for this. He's good enough to play for us though.

Spoiler

EZSI5bW.png

Laszlo Koleszar is a bog standard Hungarian top flight level central midfielder - which is exactly what I was needing to be honest. The next couple of seasons are going to be about consolidating, and he'll be good enough for the time being. Good on the ball, abysmal off it. 

Spoiler

9F3cuTs.png

Roland Nagy is a holding midfielder, a very limited footballer, and he's here to provide squad depth. He can play as an actual defensive midfielder, which I like, and he's played over 300 games so knows what it's all about.

Spoiler

HUoPKCP.png

Sajjad Kadhim is another central midfielder, who has almost 50 international caps (for Iraq) but has never played a single minute of senior club football. Nevertheless, he's a good combative water-carrier type of player, who I'm hoping will also pop up with a couple of goals a season. Good player.

Spoiler

pzCPaUa.png

Neo Ndlovu is another with zero prior professional experience, but looks a player. Great finisher, and has pretty much everything I'm looking for in a striker. I'm surprised we've managed to get him. I'd like him to be faster, but if he was he'd be nowhere near us.

Spoiler

hdb2Rbl.png

Rain Osi provides cover at right back, left wing back and left wing (dunno why). He's fast and works hard, but technically very, very limited. I couldn't get any better than him though, and he's alright I guess.

Spoiler

Tu28En2.png

John Stevenson is the last of my Scottish contingent, and another centre half. Good at all the basis, and a wee bit extra, he'll do well. He has 18 games played in the Scottish Premiership, the highest level of anyone in my squad, so I'm pleased with that.

Spoiler

T4VS5Xb.png

So that's that. I don't think we're anywhere near being ready to challenge at the top of the table, but we're better than we were last season. 

July 2107

WBMGjad.png

A nice boring start to the season, against an alright side. At least hints that my plan to absolutely shitfest our way through games might work.

Does mean we still haven't won a game since March, but hey ho.

6jIVBQU.png

Too early to mean a thing of course, but there we are.

August 2107

n17lzkV.png

We won a game!

But more than that, we've looked genuinely good and competitive in all our games - and we were unlucky to lose the one game we did.

We'll be fine this season. Intensely boring, but fine.

zWbFdA1.png

I'd hope to be higher up than this, but it'll be sound for now. 

September 2107

0Z3LA1E.png

A good month for us. Plenty of goals in our game against the lower league mob, and we continued to be really solid on league duty.

WSVX9wj.png

Third would be a remarkable season, but we won't finish there. Would be thrilled if we can get fifth to be honest. 

October 2107

o6O5LEC.png

Bit more mixed, although we definitely should've beaten Bekescsaba. Missed a penalty in that game and a few other great chances. Our first loss in a while at the hands of Fehervar too. 

Overall it's about what you'd expect from a mid table set of jobbers, which we are.

cuMkaFS.png

I would be happy enough with sixth. My main concern at the minute is that noone is getting cut adrift at the bottom - it'd be handy if someone would. 

November 2107

ecw80QV.png

Two great results, one not so good one. We were a match for table toppers Ferencvaros, comfortable against Ujpest (despite ten men for the final 15), and then a really disappointing game against Vasas - made all the worse by Colin Hogarth having his leg broken and being out for the season.

Still, not too bad.

koQfmGT.png

But we're still doing well enough and looking comfortable.

December 2107

J3LvP4L.png

A couple of decent wins to see us into the winter break. Craig McIntosh picked a nice time to get his first couple of goals, and Csordas is a 16 year old good prospect, so that's good too.

ZTYiemG.png

And we're in the battle for the top four, which would get us a European game.

But we probably won't manage it. 

January 2108

PngOFSk.png

A couple of new signings for the new year, and a few out the door as well as I continue my task of punting the deadwood.

Andrej Andonovski is a young full back - primarily on the right, but can cover on the left too. Better than I had, and with plenty of room to improve. He's not got anything going forward though, which is slightly annoying,

Spoiler

qctk7Mj.png

Kristof Nagy has a few great attributes on the ball, and should be perfect to go beside Kadhim who's more defensive. His passing ability in particular excites me, and he's another who's very young.

Spoiler

MLVXXkV.png

zJmhb4h.png

Pick up where we left off with some good wins, and we also managed to score a few goals in a match against someone from our league for a change. Lovely.

c2sNiTT.png

We're fourth just now. We're nowhere near winning the title, but it's a promising season so far. 

February 2108

Another bit of transfer business, with goalkeeper Matt Currie joining from Scottish League Two side Queen of the South. He's an upgrade on what I had and is broadly solid enough, so that's good.

Spoiler

wlWTVWU.png

EVibZvt.png

Really back into the swing of it, and that win over Bekescsaba was glorious. 1-0 down in the 88th minute and we still won the game.

Out the cup on away goals unfortunately, but two wins and a draw from the other four league games is very good going, so I'm pleased with how the month's gone overall.

4PU54CQ.png

And it's seen us solidify ourselves in third place, which would be outstanding.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

March 2108

lP1CGM4.png

Pretty standard month for us. Two decent wins, particularly the one against Diosgyor, and a draw against Budaors where their goal was their only attack in the last minute.

Ferencvaros were far better than us.

o6QN8pz.png

As expected, we won't be winning the league but we have a good shot at third. 

April 2108

icsJ3dB.png

A decent enough month, but it should've been better. We conceded late on against Csakvar and we weren't the poorer side in the Debrecen game either, but it happens I suppose. Two good wins, and a sensational month for Neo Ndlovu, who now has 17 league goals in his first season for us.

DR8feSf.png

We're in with an excellend shot of third, but we play Fehervar next which will determine that.

we're all but guaranteed top four though.