Your Best Games of 2020

NotThePars

2020 was a strange year with some big marquee stuff delayed (Cyberpunk 2077) or punted into the long grass (Halo Infinite). There were still some big releases out this year with The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima being two of the cinematic prestige releases from America and the release of Final Fantasy VII Remake and Persona 5 Royal proving JRPGs were still capable of being big hits. There were successes on the indie scene with Hades and the full release of Kentucky Route Zero while the remaster of Tony Hawks 1+2 and the the Chinese free-to-play gacha title Genshin Impact appeared seemingly out of nowhere to universal acclaim. I've probably missed a power of other stuff that came out this year as well so sound off in the comments below especially as Covid and the subsequent lockdown probably left us all with more time than usual to binge on games.

What were your favourite games of 2020?

Were there any that surprised you either positively or negatively?

What did you play the most or what did you keep returning to?

Were there any games from last year or before that you discovered or clicked with in 2020?

I have finished the following this year so far:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered

Psychonauts

Rogue Aces

Sound Shapes

Mafia III

Journey

Hue

Hatoful Boyfriend

Rocket League

Indigo Prophecy

Tower of Guns

Heavy Rain

Xenon Racer

Beyond: Two Souls

Titanfall 2

Pox Nora
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

Beach Buggy Racing
Driveclub Bikes

Driveclub

The Unfinished Swan

Riptide GP2

Detroit: Become Human

Star Wars Battlefront II

Riptide GP: Renegade

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

What Remains of Edith Finch

Need for Speed Payback

Dirt 4

BioShock Remastered

My favourite games from this list come from 2008, 2012, 2015... none of the games were released this year. I don't know why I'm replying. The only thing I've played that came out this year is Assetto Corsa Competizione which despite its many, many flaws, is amazing fun to play. It could still be so much more, just with tidying up the UI and the structure.

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I

My favourite games from this list come from 2008, 2012, 2015... none of the games were released this year. I don't know why I'm replying. The only thing I've played that came out this year is Assetto Corsa Competizione which despite its many, many flaws, is amazing fun to play. It could still be so much more, just with tidying up the UI and the structure.

That's why I added the last question. I think a lot of my favourite stuff (I'm gonna reply myself later) might have actually came from last year but I like end of year lists for thinking about everything I've played this year and what was good.

got the Command and Conquer remaster, been pleasantly surprised at how timeless a lot of the missions and units are (swarms of nod buggy's and recon bikes are just really really fun toys to play with). Finding some of the campaign maps are hard as nails though even on normal mode and I refuse the ignominy of dropping it down to casual. It does get tempting to lower the difficulty when the AI decides to fling a couple of flame tanks at my one pitiful guard tower and a handful of minigunners, but I've managed to just restrict myself to ragequitting rather than wussing out.

7 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

got the Command and Conquer remaster, been pleasantly surprised at how timeless a lot of the missions and units are (swarms of nod buggy's and recon bikes are just really really fun toys to play with). Finding some of the campaign maps are hard as nails though even on normal mode and I refuse the ignominy of dropping it down to casual. It does get tempting to lower the difficulty when the AI decides to fling a couple of flame tanks at my one pitiful guard tower and a handful of minigunners, but I've managed to just restrict myself to ragequitting rather than wussing out.

I love this game! It really uses my 100% brain.