Faroes away

FovStew

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

We should and likely will beat them but we've drawn twice before (and coincidentally didn't Dunfermline actually lose to a Faroes team in the UEFA Cup under Jim Leishman?).

Davie Hay (shudder) was the manager.

We drew 2-2 in Reykjavik after being 2 nil down.

We were winning the 'home' leg (it was played in Perth) and Davie Hay did the usual shite Scottish managers are often conditioned to do which was absolutely shite it. We were well on top and could have went on to kill the game but instead defensive subs were made and we lost two late goals.

A truly awful night. 

Hay was an abysmal manager for us. His prehistoric garbage was so painful to watch after what Calderwood had us doing. It was also incredibly ineffective as we were in a relegation battle from early on after finishing 4th and reaching the Scottish Cup final the season before. Hay was a man out of time and got punted later than he should have that season, with Leishman taking over and saving us from relegation.

Got my flights booked and accomodation reserved. I'm arriving on the evening of the 11th and leaving on the 14th, so wasn't too fussed with hiring a car after looking after the prices.

I went to the Faroes with Hibs when we played NSI Runavik, a few stories to share, I won’t be going because it’s really expensive and obviously I’ve been before so I’ll be chucking my money at other trips but I couldn’t  recommend the island higher.

We arrived on the Wednesday, the game was on the Thursday, I had seen on twitter that the best place to get bevy was at duty free in the airport, there wasn’t many alcohol shops and they were expensive so I sorted myself out with a crate of beer and a bottle of Smirnoff, happy days.

Checked into the air bnb in Torshavn, few beers, shower, unpacked, theres only really one bar in Torshavn so we went there and it was absolutely mobbed with Hibs fans, I don’t think the staff there were really accustomed to big crowds, some Hibs fans were behind the bar controlling the tunes on the bars laptop, we were pouring our own pints (and paying them for them of course) and it was a brilliant atmosphere.

I was single at the time and for a laugh, in our apartment, I sampled the local females on Tinder and messaged every single one of them telling them to come along to the Irish Bar, 45 minutes later and I’ve got a message; “I’m outside” I burst out laughing, and went out to discover that my match was indeed outside, spoke to her for about 5 minutes before asking her if she was coming in for a drink, she said no, she was driving, I then asked why she came to the bar if she wasn’t coming and her response was “do you live here? There’s not exactly much to do.” Fair enough, I went back in.

A few beers later and Sunshine on Leith is on, lots of Hibs fans get up on tables to sing, I try and do the same, whoops, I’ve knocked the table over, whoops there’s a good few empty glasses on the table, and as I’ve felt I’ve used my hand to break my fall and cut it on empty glasses. Some Good Samaritan handed me a couple of plasters and were good to go again, a blur of a night follows and I wake up in the morning at around 2:00 in the afternoon.

It’s game day, absolutely pissing rain, I realise I’ve got vodka but I’ve no juice to mix it with, I go out searching for a shop selling juice and for love nor money I cannot find any, I ended up settling for some arty farty cafe and they had a few bottles of “Sicilian lemonade” I decided I would take 3 because I couldn’t find any other options, go home and mix them with the vodka.

We make it to the pub, again, place is absolutely jumping, staff, clearly no idea how to deal with it but couldn’t have been more pleasant, and they sold me a really nice plate of nachos which did go some way to cure my hangover. One of my pals had booked a bus that the fans would get from Torshavn to Toftir, a 90 minute journey which I believe now is less as they are building a tunnel beneath the water, but anyway, within this 90 minute window I managed to dispose of my vodka and Sicilian lemonade.

In terms of what happened after this, I’m honestly not sure, I had to ask my friends in the morning what the score was, for around 6 months after it I was approached by fellow supporters telling me “you’re the boy who was falling over the seats everywhere in the Faroes” apparently I spoke to Rod Petrie and demanded he told me who we were signing.

A side note, after travelling home via Copenhagen, London and finally back to Edinburgh I discovered that after I removed my plaster from the cut I had managed from falling on broken glasses had turned green and had got badly infected, after 10 days of trips to the hospital, antibiotics and slings I was finally cured.

Honestly the stories I’ve referenced in this don’t scratch the surface, amazing trip, amazing and beautiful place, couldn’t recommend it any higher, won’t be there this time but somewhere I would love to go back to, if they let me.

Edited by Les Cabbage