Week 16

lichtie23

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's not remotely the same as running a lateral play

It absolutely is, the ball goes backwards without touching the ground.

I understand that the rule is based on intent, my argument is that the rule is really stupid because it doesn't account for instances like today.

I understand that the rule is based on intent, my argument is that the rule is really stupid because it doesn't account for instances like today.
What is no right to me is if it happened at any point in the first 3 quarters it's a 1st down. How rules can change depending on when it happens in the game is not right.

1 minute ago, Gogs Grog said:
3 minutes ago, G51 said:

What is no right to me is if it happened at any point in the first 3 quarters it's a 1st down. How rules can change depending on when it happens in the game is not right.

There are plenty things which are different outwith the last 2 minutes of a game.

They are all there for a reason, though.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

There are plenty things which are different outwith the last 2 minutes of a game.

They are all there for a reason, though.

If you can explain to me the reason for that play being prevented in the final 2 minutes of the game, I'd love to hear it.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

I understand what you are getting at, but it would be next to impossible to definitively say if a fumble is deliberate or not, especially that one.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

If you can explain to me the reason for that play being prevented in the final 2 minutes of the game, I'd love to hear it.

If you are asking why the rule exists to prevent a fumble on 4th down inside the last 2 minutes being advanced by any player other than the one who fumbled it, then no problem.

If you are asking why the rule book doesn't specifically cover a QB sneak stopped half a yard short then you are being deliberately obtuse.

How do you prove any particular fumble is deliberate or not, and who decides?

See also Frankfurt's final offensive play in World Bowl 96

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

If you are asking why the rule exists to prevent a fumble on 4th down inside the last 2 minutes being advanced by any player other than the one who fumbled it, then no problem.

If you are asking why the rule book doesn't specifically cover a QB sneak stopped half a yard short then you are being deliberately obtuse.

I'm asking if you can explain why a fumble that doesn't touch the ground and goes backwards on 4th down inside the last two minutes isn't allowed to be advanced by any other player is not permitted.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

I'm asking if you can explain why a fumble that doesn't touch the ground and goes backwards on 4th down inside the last two minutes isn't allowed to be advanced by any other player is not permitted.

Because of this

Nowhere in the rulebook does it state a fumble must touch the ground btw, so you can stop mentioning that as if it's relevant.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Because of this

Nowhere in the rulebook does it state a fumble must touch the ground btw, so you can stop mentioning that as if it's relevant.

Yes I know what the holy roller is, but the key difference is that it was fumbled forward.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Yes I know what the holy roller is, but the key difference is that it was fumbled forward.

Forward or backward is irrelevant. The difference is a fumble is a loss of possession and a live ball, a lateral is not, it's contiguous possession whether the lateral is actually successful or not.

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

Forward or backward is irrelevant. The difference is a fumble is a loss of possession and a live ball, a lateral is not, it's contiguous possession whether the lateral is actually successful or not.

Correct. The definition of a fumble is simply this

"A fumble is any act, other than a pass or kick, which results in a loss of player possession."

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

No, the key difference is that what the Raiders did was legal (at the time).

Edited by Todd_is_God