Do Rangers get a "free pass" from referees?

Does Rangers get a "free pass" from referees?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do think there is an element of the compliance officer will catch it, a bit like VAR in England. Why send someone off for what i thought i saw when someone else can watch it 100 times and get the 'right' decision.

Why does it mostly happen to Rangers i have no idea, in seasons past you could blame the fans/atmosphere but thats not happening this season. The last 2 with Roofe (?) and Morelos appeared to be absolute stick ons and the ref seemed to have a clear view of them but until refs can be questioned on their decisions we will never know.

9 hours ago, AJF said:

Excellent discipline we have shown in such a massive season. A contributing factor to our success so far.

You may interpret it as such, but in no other league I've looked at is there such a disparity between the teams at the tops of the leagues and their opponents, in terms of number of played minutes required to acquire a booking. That would suggest something else is happening in Scotland.

Edit to mention, Celtic must be showing excellent discipline as well.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

30 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

You may interpret it as such, but in no other league I've looked at is there such a disparity between the teams at the tops of the leagues and their opponents, in terms of number of played minutes required to acquire a booking. That would suggest something else is happening in Scotland.

Sevco's cheating, we get it.

44 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

My comment was mainly tongue in cheek to be honest mate. Out of interest, what other leagues have you looked at and how does it compare?

Not sure if it's been mentioned here (because f**k reading 21 pages), but refs are absolutely shit scared of giving a big decision against Rangers or Celtic in front of a lot of their fans. So they only give ones they're 100% sure on, compared to other clubs where refs give it on a 50/50 chance most of the time. 

They allow for more doubt over Old Firm side's challenges, and are quick to jump in on any other club

Edited by ATLIS

11 hours ago, AJF said:

Excellent discipline we have shown in such a massive season. A contributing factor to our success so far.

I’ve got no idea how many players you have had retrospectively banned this season (is it 2?) but you could add those into the red card column with a wee asterisk I suppose.

Morelos, who will always be prone to a wee moment madness here and there, aside though I would agree with you.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned here (because f**k reading 21 pages), but refs are absolutely shit scared of giving a big decision against Rangers or Celtic in front of a lot of their fans. So they only give ones they're 100% sure on, compared to other clubs where refs give it on a 50/50 chance most of the time. 

They allow for more doubt over Old Firm side's challenges, and are quick to jump in on any other club

Based on this are you of the opinion that referees this season are fairer than in other years? 

Just now, Sortmeout said:

Based on this are you of the opinion that referees this season are fairer than in other years? 

Yeah I'd probably agree with that, obviously still stigma and abuse to come from those decisions but refs probably fairer this season

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Out of interest, what other leagues have you looked at and how does it compare?

I've looked at several European leagues, what I've noted is the Iberians, Italians and Russians appear to be booked and sent off more frequently than in Scotland, but there isn't as great a disparity between top sides and the rest, and the same for other leagues throughout the continent. If you could name particular leagues, I'll try to find statistics for comparison. 

For the time being, here are some figures for the top two leagues in England. I've chosen three clubs from each, the table topper, that club directly in the middle, and the team at the foot.

Per minute         Yellow     Red         

Man City               83.1        0

Arsenal                  63          0

Sheffield U            47       1080

Norwich              65.9        900

Blackburn          60.6        2610

Wycombe          59.3       1305

In these leagues, as in ours, a general trend shows the better sides taking longer to get yellow and red cards. However, the range between time required to be sanctioned is nowhere near the figures for Scotland.

6 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I've looked at several European leagues, what I've noted is the Iberians, Italians and Russians appear to be booked and sent off more frequently than in Scotland, but there isn't as great a disparity between top sides and the rest, and the same for other leagues throughout the continent. If you could name particular leagues, I'll try to find statistics for comparison. 

For the time being, here are some figures for the top two leagues in England. I've chosen three clubs from each, the table topper, that club directly in the middle, and the team at the foot.

Per minute         Yellow     Red         

Man City               83.1        0

Arsenal                  63          0

Sheffield U            47       1080

Norwich              65.9        900

Blackburn          60.6        2610

Wycombe          59.3       1305

In these leagues, as in ours, a general trend shows the better sides taking longer to get yellow and red cards. However, the range between time required to be sanctioned is nowhere near the figures for Scotland.

Not disputing the figures at all, or the bias towards Old Firm, but would be interesting to see these figures put against possession and percentage of play in the attacking third?

There is undoutably a bias towards Celtic and Rangers in terms of decisions IMO, but i always wonder if its really a case of the ref taking the option that is easier for them, or if its just a percentage thing.

You can hardly blame them if its a kind of unconscious biased when social media is awash with thousands of fannys hell bent on abusing a ref whenever they make a decision against their team. Refs in this country have a hopeless task, even if some of them are utter shite. But I find it hard to believe that any of them are consciously bias towards any team they are officiating.

57 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

The debate still rings true, over the course of the season. The refs in this country are so bad they are bound to give all teams terrible decisions for/against at some point. 

Some teams more than others. Look at Aberdeen at Parkhead on Wednesday night, a cross into the box, hits Welsh in the arm, stopping the travel of the ball, no penalty. We were never getting that at Parkhead, despite the fact we've conceded penalties for the exact same thing earlier in the season. 

Fast forward 30/40 mins or so, a pass is played that Hoban intercepts, it's rides up off his foot and strikes his arm, free kick to Celtic. Now, to me, because there is no intent in either handball, they shouldn't be given, but how can the ref give one and not the other? It's the lack of consistency overall that drives people up the wall. 

Aberdeen were 2 on 2 at one stage with Ferguson baring down on goal, the ball rode up and hit his face clear as day, the same ref gave handball, thus stopping the attack. 

Not one of those handball decisions on Wednesday night benefitted Aberdeen, but were they ever going to?

Never watched the game but I've a feeling that our applepine pals will also be able to list decisions which went against them too.

22 hours ago, AJF said:

Overall perhaps, but your red card stats are showing as “0” where in reality you have had 3 red cards.

Admittedly I haven't read through all 22 pages of this so no doubt somebody has already said this but:

I don't think the referees are biased towards Rangers, or Celtic, as such. I think the standard of refereeing in this country is generally abysmal but it only ever gets highlighted when a decision goes for/against one of the cheeks because they or the other side go squealing about it and the media lap it up and feed all the conspiracy nut jobs on both sides.

For the rest of us, it's just something we expect and for the most part put up with. Honestly, how often do you come away from a game (or watch it on TV these days) absolutely astounded by the refereeing performance you've just witnessed? But because Michael Stewart or Hugh Keevins don't give a f**k if Accies or Ross County were denied a stonewall penalty against one of the other also rans it's barely mentioned and we all just move on with our lives and accept that referees in Scotland are pish

Edited by d_t_b