Stone Roses Rooftop Glasgow gig Podcast

fuzzydunlop

I'm sure theres a few Stone Roses fans out there. Theres a decent podcast on Spotify at the moment about the Stone Roses Rooftop gig back in 1989.

Good interiews with Tam Coyle and a couple of guys who were at the gig.  Only issue is I think it was done over a zoom chat and one of the guys connection is terrible which you'd think they host would have tried to sort out.

I've no idea how to post a link but if you search Stone Roses Rooftops on Spotify it should come up.

I would have loved to have been there. An old flatmate of mine saw them at the Venue in Edinburgh in 1989, presumably on the same tour and said it was a near religious experience. I feel very lucky to have seen them at Glasgow Green the following year. As a wide eyed 17 year old, I thought they were truly brilliant. It's still one of my most memorable gigs. The less said about The Second Coming  the better, but for a couple of years they were simply the best band in the world. I'll check out the podcast. Cheers.

WAS a legend.  Shame to say but it's for the best they split again before he started spouting all this anti vaxxing pish.   I was too young to see them the first time round but I'll never forget the 3 times I saw them after the reunion.  Was in bits at Heaton Park.

Anyway , no got Spotify, what's rooftops?  That a nightclub back in the day?

11 hours ago, the aggressive beggar said:

WAS a legend.  Shame to say but it's for the best they split again before he started spouting all this anti vaxxing pish.   I was too young to see them the first time round but I'll never forget the 3 times I saw them after the reunion.  Was in bits at Heaton Park.

Anyway , no got Spotify, what's rooftops?  That a nightclub back in the day?

aye Rooftop......although eveyone calls it Rooftops is/was(no idea if it still exists) on Sauchiehall Street. In the late 1980s was used as venue in Glasgow..i think REM played there and quite a few other decent names for the time.  But it was the first Stone Roses gig in Scotland...(although theres some debate on the Podcast as to whether the Edinburgh gig at the Venue was before or after it)

Was before my time, I narrowly missed out on Glasgow Green and first time I saw them was The Barras in 95/96 and I dont think Reni was with them by that point so doesnt really count.

17 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I would have loved to have been there. An old flatmate of mine saw them at the Venue in Edinburgh in 1989, presumably on the same tour and said it was a near religious experience. I feel very lucky to have seen them at Glasgow Green the following year. As a wide eyed 17 year old, I thought they were truly brilliant. It's still one of my most memorable gigs. The less said about The Second Coming  the better, but for a couple of years they were simply the best band in the world. I'll check out the podcast. Cheers.

Glasgow green was amazing, was a lovely summer day as well I remember wandering about the city with my mates, dressed in flares and Roses t shirts with not a care in the world it was what our world was waiting for ( see what I did there? ) I remember at the time it seemed like a done deal that they would kick on and become a massive band and release more amazing music...then Geffen threw loads of money at them and we all know how that went.

I've only just started listening to them again recently, I was gutted when they reformed it just didn't feel right and it soured my opinion of them it seemed to go against everything they said they were back in the late 80's early 90's but I suppose everyone has their price.

The fact remains their debut album is a masterpiece.