Rank the Managers - Championship Edition

At the start of the season, there were some bizarre shouts that Stevie Crawford was turning into a 'good' manager and my mind might be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure I read at one point the potential of him leaving Dunfermline for a bigger club which, if it isn't just Granny Danger style memory loss, boggles the mind. I love these types of thread and looking at them years down the line to see how wrong we were. I've famously had a few terrible shouts that I still get reminded about such as thinking Jamie Ness would be the best midfielder in the league or that Paul Hartley would have a better management career than Alex Neil (and tbf at the time, Hartley just pipped Neil's Hamilton to the title using John Brown's squad and Neil had had a mental breakdown on the pitch and cost his team the title).

It's not just restricted to me though, just a few year ago some labelled Terry Butcher as a brilliant manager before he went and Hib'sed it. Even the media have done it, with Mark McGhee being touted for the Celtic job once upon a time (or was it just him?). Anyway, that's my bloated spiel out of the way. Time to rank the managers in this division. You can use any criteria you like as long as it fits your definition of 'best'. And then, in years to come we can bump this thread and laugh at the people who thought a certain manager would be great or laugh at my list in just a few post' time.

1. John Robertson
2. Dick Campbell
3. John McGlynn
4. Peter Grant
5. Robbie Neilson
6. Allan Johnston
7. James McPake
8. Stevie Crawford
9. Mark Kerr
10. Anton McElhone

Writing all their names out like that shows a real dearth of managerial talent this season. John Robertson doesn't appear that knowledgeable and I'm not sure if Caley fans were overjoyed when he rejoined them as manager after staring into the abyss as a regular Sportsound pundit for a good couple of year. Dick Campbell is largely a joke figure in Scottish football yet still makes my number 2 spot.

Could easily see other people putting McPake in 9th and certainly wouldn't blame you. It was just part of my criteria was who could we appoint that would make me less enthused with my football club than having McPake at the helm and Crawford and Kerr made the list. Might even be laughable to some to have McPake above those two - I wouldn't disagree, McPake is a terrible, terrible manager but my bias' kicked in.

Think it should be pretty unanimous of the 10th spot. Poor lad is just a fitness coach, doesn't even have a Wiki page FFS, admitted he doesn't want to be a manager but is forced to do the role until the end of the season.

Anyway, over to P&B!

Edited by Ludo*1

1. Dick Campbell

2. John McGlynn

3. Robbie Neilson

4. Stevie Crawford

5. Mark Kerr

6. Allan Johnston

7. Peter Grant

8. John Robertson

9. Anton McElhone

10. James McPake

I'm surprised I've put Neilson so high given I am adamant he's a garbage manager but when comparing against his peers I guess this is fair.  

Feel a bit harsh on McElhone as he's done ok so far, I'd maybe have him higher up if there was a better pool of evidence available on him.  

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

At the start of the season, there were some bizarre shouts that Stevie Crawford was turning into a 'good' manager and my mind might be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure I read at one point the potential of him leaving Dunfermline for a bigger club which, if it isn't just Granny Danger style memory loss, boggles the mind. I love these types of thread and looking at them years down the line to see how wrong we were. I've famously had a few terrible shouts that I still get reminded about such as thinking Jamie Ness would be the best midfielder in the league or that Paul Hartley would have a better management career than Alex Neil (and tbf at the time, Hartley just pipped Neil's Hamilton to the title using John Brown's squad and Neil had had a mental breakdown on the pitch and cost his team the title).

It's not just restricted to me though, just a few year ago some labelled Terry Butcher as a brilliant manager before he went and Hib'sed it. Even the media have done it, with Mark McGhee being touted for the Celtic job once upon a time (or was it just him?). Anyway, that's my bloated spiel out of the way. Time to rank the managers in this division. You can use any criteria you like as long as it fits your definition of 'best'. And then, in years to come we can bump this thread and laugh at the people who thought a certain manager would be great or laugh at my list in just a few post' time.

1. John Robertson
2. Dick Campbell
3. John McGlynn
4. Peter Grant
5. Robbie Neilson
6. Allan Johnston
7. James McPake
8. Stevie Crawford
9. Mark Kerr
10. Anton McElhone

Writing all their names out like that shows a real dearth of managerial talent this season. John Robertson doesn't appear that knowledgeable and I'm not sure if Caley fans were overjoyed when he rejoined them as manager after staring into the abyss as a regular Sportsound pundit for a good couple of year. Dick Campbell is largely a joke figure in Scottish football yet still makes my number 2 spot.

Could easily see other people putting McPake in 9th and certainly wouldn't blame you. It was just part of my criteria was who could we appoint that would make me less enthused with my football club than having McPake at the helm and Crawford and Kerr made the list. Might even be laughable to some to have McPake above those two - I wouldn't disagree, McPake is a terrible, terrible manager but my bias' kicked in.

Think it should be pretty unanimous of the 10th spot. Poor lad is just a fitness coach, doesn't even have a Wiki page FFS, admitted he doesn't want to be a manager but is forced to do the role until the end of the season.

Anyway, over to P&B!

McPake 7th 😂. Has to be the worst manager in Scotland. 

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

1. Dick Campbell

2. John McGlynn

3. Robbie Neilson

4. Stevie Crawford

5. Mark Kerr

6. Allan Johnston

7. Peter Grant

8. John Robertson

9. Anton McElhone

10. James McPake

I'm surprised I've put Neilson so high given I am adamant he's a garbage manager but when comparing against his peers I guess this is fair.  

Feel a bit harsh on McElhone as he's done ok so far, I'd maybe have him higher up if there was a better pool of evidence available on him.  

Shocked you've put Robertson so low!

McElhone has managed 9 games so far. He was appointed on 10 December so the Thursday before the game and won that game 1-2 against Dunfermline, followed that up with a 2-0 win against QoS at home before their revival and when they were looking Brechin-esque. Since then he's went on a 7 game winless run and they've not won since the 19th December.

He's got to be dead last for me, as pish as McPake is.

Just now, RR #1 said:

Of course I didn't. Whose going to read all that garbage? especially when you have ranked the managers in such a moronically biased order. 

The only moron I'm seeing here is you tbh.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McElhone has managed 9 games so far. He was appointed on 10 December so the Thursday before the game and won that game 1-2 against Dunfermline, followed that up with a 2-0 win against QoS at home before their revival and when they were looking Brechin-esque.

We were never, at any point, "looking Brechin-eque". 🙄

Notwithstanding a poor first 9 games and a bit of over-reacting, we weren't even in the bottom 2 at that point. Undeniably in trouble and facing a fight but "Brechin-esque"? Have a word with yourself.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Shocked you've put Robertson so low!

McElhone has managed 9 games so far. He was appointed on 10 December so the Thursday before the game and won that game 1-2 against Dunfermline, followed that up with a 2-0 win against QoS at home before their revival and when they were looking Brechin-esque. Since then he's went on a 7 game winless run and they've not won since the 19th December.

He's got to be dead last for me, as pish as McPake is.

I think Robertson is awful, I've never been impressed by any of his team's against us other than how tall they all were.  I think the only time they have looked good this year we're when QOTS were still finding their feet, not convinced they'll climb the table with the games in hand either. 

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

We were never, at any point, "looking Brechin-eque". 🙄

Notwithstanding a poor first 9 games and a bit of over-reacting, we weren't even in the bottom 2 at that point. Undeniably in trouble and facing a fight but "Brechin-esque"? Have a word with yourself.

Brechin-esque is exaggeration, obviously, but not by much. The George Galloway fan day was one of the worst performances I've ever witnessed from an opposition side. Absolutely horrendous. Based on that and comments at the time that this was the norm, I expected Arbroath and Alloa to overtake you with absolute ease.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The only moron I'm seeing here is you tbh.

No need to start throwing about insults.

I have now read your post and can see no reasonable explanation for McPake  being ranked above Crawford or Kerr other than you admitting to being biased. 

If you cant look at things objectively and are going to get upset so easily  maybe you shouldn't start threads with your shitey lists in the first place you complete fucking  oddball

3 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

I have now read your post and can see no reasonable explanation for McPake  being ranked above Crawford or Kerr other than you admitting to being biased. 

If you cant look at things objectively and are going to get upset so easily  maybe you shouldn't start threads with your shitey lists in the first place you complete fucking  oddball

'No need to start throwing insults.'

Clearly, you've now read the post, but not understood it. Maybe you shouldn't bother with the thread if it's upsetting you. I'll not drag this top class thread down further by responding again.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Brechin-esque is exaggeration, obviously, but not by much. The George Galloway fan day was one of the worst performances I've ever witnessed from an opposition side. Absolutely horrendous. Based on that and comments at the time that this was the norm, I expected Arbroath and Alloa to overtake you with absolute ease.

And yet they were both behind us at the time.

Frankly, whilst it was a dreadful game, ruined by wind, that we deservedly lost, it wasn't anywhere near "one of the worst performances" anyone has ever witnessed either. More exaggeration. We presented Sow with a hat trick. It wasn't a good day and December by and large was awful as it came on the back of a 6-1 loss at Hearts and a truly dreadful 3-0 home loss to ICT. Comments at the time were understandably negative and certainly not helped by the Galloway nonsene that followed but it was a run of three poor games, not remotely "Brechin-eque".  We'd shown more than enough in October / November to suggest we weren't awful though.

15 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Quotes a post without reading.  A knowledgeable poster from RAITH  not found.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And yet they were both behind us at the time.

Frankly, whilst it was a dreadful game, ruined by wind, that we deservedly lost, it wasn't anywhere near "one of the worst performances" anyone has ever witnessed either. More exaggeration. We presented Sow with a hat trick. It wasn't a good day and December by and large was awful as it came on the back of a 6-1 loss at Hearts and a truly dreadful 3-0 home loss to ICT. Comments at the time were understandably negative and certainly not helped by the Galloway nonsene that followed but it was a run of three poor games, not remotely "Brechin-eque".  We'd shown more than enough in October / November to suggest we weren't awful though.

No, they weren't. You were bottom of the league after a 2-0 defeat to Morton in the game prior. And behind Alloa in 9th, 2 games prior to that after you were humped 6-1 by Hearts. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/queen-of-the-south-fc/spielplan/verein/3001/saison_id/2020

Are you speaking on behalf of everyone? It was utterly dreadful, and to be so poor, to present a completely finished Osman Sow with a hat trick kinda emphasises the point IMO. He'd scored 1 goal in his 6 appearances of Charlie Adam trying desperately to put it on a plate for him.

That game led to a mini-renassiance in scoring from him and it was all down to how inept your lot were IMO.

Edited by Ludo*1