Next Ayr United manager

In an ideal world I'd like Stuart McCall contacts here and in England has won leagues as a player and had relative success both in Scotland and in England as a manger, I don't think his spell at Rangers was long enough to make an impact and as a former Scotland international who played in a world cup he would instantly get respect, money wise could we afford him maybe not but with league one starting again soon we need to maybe push the boat out because going down to league one would be a potential killer for us.

5 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

In an ideal world I'd like Stuart McCall contacts here and in England has won leagues as a player and had relative success both in Scotland and in England as a manger, I don't think his spell at Rangers was long enough to make an impact and as a former Scotland international who played in a world cup he would instantly get respect, money wise could we afford him maybe not but with league one starting again soon we need to maybe push the boat out because going down to league one would be a potential killer for us.

Been sacked twice by Bradford City most recently in league two if he could bring anybody up to play from north of England great how ever if he can't he would be working with ex Motherwell duds like most Ayr managers throughout the seasons 

Just now, airdrieman said:

Can't really add much else to the above assessments, both of which I completely agree with. I think Murray has probably taken as far as he can, and I'm sure Murray knows that as well so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he fancies another gig, especially in a league above albeit possibly not for much longer. Most Airdrie fans, including myself wouldn't be sorry to see him go but I think he has a worse reputation than he really deserves. If you look at it from a purely objective standpoint, Murray has taken a club who in the proceeding years were perennial mid-table finishers, then on the brink of going bust and potentially getting relegated to genuine play-off and promotion contenders, with the caveats of never actually getting to complete a full season or compete in a promotion play-off. He has also implemented a progressive hybrid structure and brought in transfer fees for Josh Edwards, Kyle MacDonald, Cammy Russell, nominal fees for Scott Stewart and Kieran MacDonald and most probably a decent sum for Thomas Robert. All of this has happened during his tenure at the club and are facts he could use to paint a good picture of himself to other clubs and/or potential suitors. How much of any of this is down to him rather than our previous Director of Football Stuart Millar (who barring a few months had almost exactly the same tenure as Murray) and how much we would or could have achieved as well had it not been for Murray's foibles (of which there are a fair few) remains up for debate. 

Probably the most frustrating thing about Murray's time at Airdrie has been the real lack of consistency him and his team(s) have been able to produce. Lack of consistency in team selection, performance and results. As has been mentioned above I think you would almost struggle to find any 2 weeks where the starting XI has remained the same from one week to the other. Murray has never known his best team or how to get the best out of the players at his disposal. Likewise if you looked at our set of results over Murray's time in charge I think you'd struggle to find more than two wins in a row at any given time. As also mentioned, the only time Murray picked his best team over a sustained period of games, and even then it was only by accident/due to an injury to Nat Wedderburn, was our best run of performances and results which even saw us go top of the league. As great a run as that was even that only lasted about half a dozen games. Murray's teams have been at their best when they've been able to sit tight, defend and hit teams on the break. And when we do that and when we play well we do tend to win (I don't remember many games where we've played well and didn't win). The problem with that though is as one of the 'better' teams in League 1 we tend to have the ball a lot more than the opposition and we desperately struggle to break teams down. If a team goes 1-0 up that's it pretty much game over. That's happened more often than is acceptable for a club of our size/a team challenging for promotion and has led to some proper grim games of football. It makes us pretty easy to play against, best exemplified by Edinburgh City beating us 1-0 twice in cups this season by taking the lead then sticking 10 men behind the ball knowing full well that we wouldn't score. Our home form is disgraceful. That's a problem that predates Murray but he hasn't shown any sort of inclination that he knows how to fix it. He's also completely unable to change a game. That is partly because we don't have any decent options off the bench but as the manager he has to take responsibility for that also. He'll usually throw Sean Crighton upfront, make like-for-like subs or make a desperate triple sub, none of which have unsurprisingly ever worked. He also makes the odd bizarre decision like playing a centre-half in midfield, not playing any central midfielders or he'll shoe-horn 5 strikers into the team and things like that where he would clearly benefit from an assistant manager's advice or second opinion. 

As has been said, apart from Colin Cameron's brief spell as assistant manager he's largely done most of the coaching and managing himself which considering how hard that must be, he does deserve credit for having us in as good a position as he does. Like I said above, I'm not convinced he's the man to take us further forward but he is a decent manager with some albeit fairly large deficits. I also think he would keep Ayr up but how much further he would take you than that I'm not sure. 

Incidentally, when did Mark Kerr last play? He's an Airdrie boy and even if he hasn't played in a couple of years he'd still be our best centre mid by a considerable margin... 

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Yes, I'd go along with that, I agree that I think we need someone with experience, contacts and stature in the game to get us out of this predicament.

As I mentioned previously, nearly everyone we've spoken about is "damaged goods" to some extent but if they weren't then they wouldn't be out of work and looking to take over at a Scottish Championship club which could realistically be relegated.

Initially I wanted Stewart but was happy enough with Kerr, however it didn't work out and there's no doubt that experience counts for a lot at this level, if for only grinding out the results even when the performances are poor., as such I just hope we don't take another risk on an "up and coming" type appointment as if it doesn't work out then it could be our Championship survival on the line. 

Of course, there's no guarantees that a McCall, Houston, McIntyre type would get us results either, but at least they've all been over this road on numerous occasions and know what to expect.

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Can't really add much else to the above assessments, both of which I completely agree with. I think Murray has probably taken as far as he can, and I'm sure Murray knows that as well so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he fancies another gig, especially in a league above albeit possibly not for much longer. Most Airdrie fans, including myself wouldn't be sorry to see him go but I think he has a worse reputation than he really deserves. If you look at it from a purely objective standpoint, Murray has taken a club who in the proceeding years were perennial mid-table finishers, then on the brink of going bust and potentially getting relegated to genuine play-off and promotion contenders, with the caveats of never actually getting to complete a full season or compete in a promotion play-off. He has also implemented a progressive hybrid structure and brought in transfer fees for Josh Edwards, Kyle MacDonald, Cammy Russell, nominal fees for Scott Stewart and Kieran MacDonald and most probably a decent sum for Thomas Robert. All of this has happened during his tenure at the club and are facts he could use to paint a good picture of himself to other clubs and/or potential suitors. How much of any of this is down to him rather than our previous Director of Football Stuart Millar (who barring a few months had almost exactly the same tenure as Murray) and how much we would or could have achieved as well had it not been for Murray's foibles (of which there are a fair few) remains up for debate. 

Probably the most frustrating thing about Murray's time at Airdrie has been the real lack of consistency him and his team(s) have been able to produce. Lack of consistency in team selection, performance and results. As has been mentioned above I think you would almost struggle to find any 2 weeks where the starting XI has remained the same from one week to the other. Murray has never known his best team or how to get the best out of the players at his disposal. Likewise if you looked at our set of results over Murray's time in charge I think you'd struggle to find more than two wins in a row at any given time. As also mentioned, the only time Murray picked his best team over a sustained period of games, and even then it was only by accident/due to an injury to Nat Wedderburn, was our best run of performances and results which even saw us go top of the league. As great a run as that was even that only lasted about half a dozen games. Murray's teams have been at their best when they've been able to sit tight, defend and hit teams on the break. And when we do that and when we play well we do tend to win (I don't remember many games where we've played well and didn't win). The problem with that though is as one of the 'better' teams in League 1 we tend to have the ball a lot more than the opposition and we desperately struggle to break teams down. If a team goes 1-0 up that's it pretty much game over. That's happened more often than is acceptable for a club of our size/a team challenging for promotion and has led to some proper grim games of football. It makes us pretty easy to play against, best exemplified by Edinburgh City beating us 1-0 twice in cups this season by taking the lead then sticking 10 men behind the ball knowing full well that we wouldn't score. Our home form is disgraceful. That's a problem that predates Murray but he hasn't shown any sort of inclination that he knows how to fix it. He's also completely unable to change a game. That is partly because we don't have any decent options off the bench but as the manager he has to take responsibility for that also. He'll usually throw Sean Crighton upfront, make like-for-like subs or make a desperate triple sub, none of which have unsurprisingly ever worked. He also makes the odd bizarre decision like playing a centre-half in midfield, not playing any central midfielders or he'll shoe-horn 5 strikers into the team and things like that where he would clearly benefit from an assistant manager's advice or second opinion. 

As has been said, apart from Colin Cameron's brief spell as assistant manager he's largely done most of the coaching and managing himself which considering how hard that must be, he does deserve credit for having us in as good a position as he does. Like I said above, I'm not convinced he's the man to take us further forward but he is a decent manager with some albeit fairly large deficits. I also think he would keep Ayr up but how much further he would take you than that I'm not sure. 

Incidentally, when did Mark Kerr last play? He's an Airdrie boy and even if he hasn't played in a couple of years he'd still be our best centre mid by a considerable margin... 

Is this Murray or Kerr you're talking about here ?

Because it sounds awfully familiar !!!

3 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Heard Kerr knew after the Inverness game he had to pick up minimum 4 points between Dundee and Arbroath , led to believe if the Dundee game  was on and they lost he could have been away by Saturday 

Christ imagine the goalie fiasco with no manager

Perhaps stating the obvious here (and apologies if it's already been covered - I got bored reading a certain individual's posts - you know who you are) but we'll need more than just a new manager with McCardle gone as well. That should mean the new guy is able to bring some staff with him and I trust that includes an assitant manager/coach as a minimum.  Just think we were a bit light in the dugout of late, especially when you think who was there supporting McCall at times. Whoever gets it must know this won't be an easy gig and he'll need backup a plenty.        

48 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

He could easily still do a decent job at your level ( not meaning that cheekily) not got the legs now to do a lot of running but would still be an asset in the team 

Falkirk told us he was done when he signed with us and he went on to be a class act in midfield

He ran the show against Dundee United in one of McCalls last games. His wee dink over the United back four to play Harvie through was superb.

Just a pity he never got a goal for us.

That's league 1 given the go ahead to resume so relegation is back on.

Need to get our finger out here and make an appointment ASAP.

Defeat on Saturday and all of a sudden the oh so tight Championship table will have us 5 points adrift in 9th!

Jesus Christ that's a terrifying thought

Being serious here for a minute, I'm genuinely perplexed as to why so many people are taking serious exception to my post on Shelley Kerr getting the Management job, I do think I know what some of you are taking from it, but believe you are hugely wide of the mark. 

For what it's worth I was not having a go at Shelley Kerr personally but more the fact that She has no experience in the game at any sort of level and would have turned the club (through no fault of her own) into a sideshow with a media frenzy. The fact she's a woman and no woman has managed at any level of the Mens game in Britain would undoubtedly have had us inundated with media both foreign and domestic and we would constantly have been under the spotlight for reasons which have nothing to do with football. We would have become a political football (pardon the pun) with many hoping she failed so they could write about it and many hoping she would succeed so they could write about it but ultimately it wouldn't help the players at a time when they have other things that they need to be concentrating on.

Over and above this, we just sacked a Manager who most agreed had failed through "inexperience", so to then go down the Shelley route would have been rather bizarre to say the least.

Whether people agree or disagree, I don't think anyone can seriously deny that the media frenzy would have occurred.

I honestly don't understand why people are taking exception with this ??

Don't get me wrong, I like to speak my mind and I'm not daft on all the overly PC stuff, but then again having served as a senior Union Rep for over a decade I do actually understand how to treat people and stand up for people in the real world and I also know the real injustice and challenges that face real people in the real world and of course some of the holier than thou crowd on here don't like that, but I make no apologies for that.

Ironically they are worse than the very people they apparently "go after" and are nothing other than a mob but that's another issue.

Anyway, just thought I'd make my thoughts known and to clear a few things up.

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

That's league 1 given the go ahead to resume so relegation is back on.

Need to get our finger out here and make an appointment ASAP.

Defeat on Saturday and all of a sudden the oh so tight Championship table will have us 5 points adrift in 9th!

Jesus Christ that's a terrifying thought

No it wouldn’t? It would  have us 5 points behind Morton but there is teams above them that may not all win. 

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

No it wouldn’t? It would  have us 5 points behind Morton but there is teams above them that may not all win. 

Well inverness are away to Alloa on Saturday plus playing tonight so would be amazed if they never got any points from those 2 games.

Still that would be 4 points then, maths not my strong point lol 

18 hours ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

It has been fun but I am out of here for another couple of years my brexit loving beetroot gammon faced friends 

Best decision of my life not bothering about club football got me around so much more enjoyable games 

I will be sticking to that so don't worry you won't see my cash again 

Would love to say it's been a pleasure but it wasn't 

4 hours ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Well you don't remember rightly we had the pleasure of seeing Weir play for two seasons and he still had a touch of class

Burley football was good he could have got Ayr up.if he stayed but Motherwell came on and poached him away

3 hours ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

It was a long time ago and I never said he got to two cup finals the other person did go tell him that he was wrong to

Instead of bring your gammon headed rage out on me 

I was at one of those games Billy Dodds and his Dadds stood behind us we all wore black in white santa hats 

MacKay would be a great appointment genuinly doubt he has applied for it though or Levein there too big for Ayr

I always thought Motherwell stole him away just cos he was good down south in EPL for a while 

My bad as said it was almost 30 years ago getting old

1 hour ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Been sacked twice by Bradford City most recently in league two if he could bring anybody up to play from north of England great how ever if he can't he would be working with ex Motherwell duds like most Ayr managers throughout the seasons 

A man of his word!