Heart of Midlothian vs Ayr United

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think that’s more down to the shite squad that Kerr has built.

The common consensus when Kerr left was that it was a talented yet underachieving squad, now its shite? 

I didn't hear anybody say anything of the sort after the victory at Cappielow last week or after the draw with Raith, so what's now changed after a dreadfully negative, park the bus, not showing the remote interest in 3 points, we'll be happy with 1, performance against what is still an underperforming Hearts team? 

If teams let them have 70% possession then guess what a squad who's salaries are a sizeable multiple of our whole club turnover is going to do over 90 minutes? 

The squad may be shite, it may be underachieving but its definitely not got the personnel who want to defend for 90 minutes in a smash and grab ugly style. It may have been Hearts away today but it won't always be.

Hopkin needs to realise that quickly and come up with cohesive tactics that actually cause the opposition problems, home and away. 

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

Think that’s us mathematically going to finish above the playoff places, all together now...WE ARE STAYING UP! emoji898.pngemoji898.pngemoji898.png

That's not all

Alloa can't catch us, Arbroath can't catch us , Morton can't catch us. Ayr or Invernes could catch us but they play each other later so they can't both catch us

We're Top 6 already!

The common consensus when Kerr left was that it was a talented yet underachieving squad, now its shite? 
I didn't hear anybody say anything of the sort after the victory at Cappielow last week or after the draw with Raith, so what's now changed after a dreadfully negative, park the bus, not showing the remote interest in 3 points, we'll be happy with 1, performance against what is still an underperforming Hearts team? 
If teams let them have 70% possession then guess what a squad who's salaries are a sizeable multiple of our whole club turnover is going to do over 90 minutes? 
The squad may be shite, it may be underachieving but its definitely not got the personnel who want to defend for 90 minutes in a smash and grab ugly style. It may have been Hearts away today but it won't always be.
Hopkin needs to realise that quickly and come up with cohesive tactics that actually cause the opposition problems, home and away. 

That might’ve been what a lot of people were saying but my opinion hasn’t really changed in that I still think the strength of our squad is massively overestimated and apart from two or three individuals we have a largely average to bottom end of the league squad. That’s not to say that the players that are a bit meh or a bit shit can’t improve. The benefit of having a younger squad is that most of these guys will get much better with good coaching and game time. Guys like Houston, Reading, McKenzie, McCowan have been pretty meh with the latter arguably being our best player but I’d be hoping he still improves unless he decides to leave.

I think in the summer we all thought certain players would do much better and end up as a top 4 team. The signings of Walsh and Anderson really got us all excited and guys like Chalmers and Baird were seen as shrewd signings that could’ve got a game for any team in this league. In reality Chalmers has done very little and doesn’t fit into the way either Kerr nor Hopkins wants to play and Baird is really only finding his feet in this team in the last month or so.

More stats: our Points Per Game is back up to 2.25

Which is some distance behind the best Championship team of the Century (2.53 Hearts 2015) but while we're not going to match that we are dead level with the rest of the top 3 Rangers 2016 and Falkirk 2003

Pedantic note technically is was the first division in 2003

37 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

More stats: our Points Per Game is back up to 2.25

Which is some distance behind the best Championship team of the Century (2.53 Hearts 2015) but while we're not going to match that we are dead level with the rest of the top 3 Rangers 2016 and Falkirk 2003

Pedantic note technically is was the first division in 2003

Aye but they didn't even get promoted!

Not a classic by any means. The first half was largely like watching a training exercise where one team is instructed to sit in deep and the other to pass it side to side to open up passing  channels. If this was an exercise then you would have complimented Ayr for a professional job - kept chances against to a minimum whilst looking menacing on the break. Hearts needed to zip the ball around quicker and up the tempo but never got going at all. 

I thought Hearts definitely found more penetrating forward passes throughout the second half, and when Walker came on the whole team seemed to get a lift. It’s hard both mentally and physically  to be under the cosh like Ayr were for long spells and it always felt to me that Hearts would score eventually in the second half. A strange game in the sense that it was hard to get remotely enthused by the Hearts performance and yet it was only a mixture of poor finishing and good goalkeeping that kept the score down to two. From a Hearts perspective, a job done against well drilled opponents who tired in the second half. From an outsider looking at Ayr, I think they definitely have some talented players, a good work ethic and a good keeper. No reason to believe they won’t climb the table once the new manager has settled in. Probably just need to work on that cutting edge a little bit. 

Definitely things for both teams to improve upon for their next matches.

One game in and people are moaning about us sitting deep against Hearts with a budget several times of ours [emoji23]

It’s easy to complain about Ayr parking the bus but given that previously when they tried to play football at Tynecastle they conceded five it’s hard to begrudge them trying a different approach