Nathan Paterson

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I’m not sure the Everton fans would agree with Coleman being either impressive or deserving of keeping the place. 

Everton fans have been wanting Coleman replaced for ages. He got absolutely roasted by Alain Saint-Maximin at Newcastle the other night and offered nothing going forward. A few more performances like that and Patterson will get his chance.

To be fair though, Saint-Maximin will do that to plenty of full backs and if it had happened to Patterson it could've been a confidence shattering way to make your debut. His time will come.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Even if he doesn't play at all until the end of the season he'll be no worse off than he would have been sitting at Rangers as a back-up.

I don't fully agree with that. He'd absolutely be getting sub appearances at the very least and probably a few cup appearances. I appreciate that Annan won't exactly be much of a test, but given that Rangers are still in three competitions he'd be getting game time. I hope that training alone gives him the fitness and sharpness to be what we need him to be against Ukraine, but I can't help thinking he'll be lacking by not playing.

12 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't fully agree with that. He'd absolutely be getting sub appearances at the very least and probably a few cup appearances. I appreciate that Annan won't exactly be much of a test, but given that Rangers are still in three competitions he'd be getting game time. I hope that training alone gives him the fitness and sharpness to be what we need him to be against Ukraine, but I can't help thinking he'll be lacking by not playing.

Ramsay should simply come in for him 

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Even if he doesn't play at all until the end of the season he'll be no worse off than he would have been sitting at Rangers as a back-up.

I agree with this. He may as well be training and working with PL players and learning new things than to stay at Rangers and be doing the same stuff. 

Nathan Patterson Update:

Nathan is a young player that we’ve signed that we have a lot of hopes for in the longer term, but we also have to think shorter term and there is competition for a reason and at the minute Seamus (Coleman) playing there as our Captain has been brilliant since I’ve been in – I’ve got a lot of respect for Seamus and Nathan will get his chance.

It’s purely a case of him working in training, everyday in training to improve, working with all the staff – For instance, we’ve got Ashley Cole on our staff. Not better people to go to than Ashley in reference to his personal position, but in terms of the collective he has to work in the direction we want and I’m positive that he will do, he’s just a young player and his time will certainly come.

Frank Lampard

https://youtu.be/tCJR2hAgyNo?t=177

I think I transposed it accurately, but Frank Lampard talks quite fast. Anyway, no change really.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Or Seamus Coleman.

Or Jason Kenny - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nathan-patterson-drops-further-out-26270223

"Everton defender Nathan Patterson appears no closer to his Toffees first-team debut as Frank Lampard piled more praise on Jonjoe Kenny

The 20-year-old Scotland cap moved from Rangers for a club record fee in January but Seamus Coleman is keeping him out of the team on the right side of defence. 

Meanwhile former Celtic flop Kenny is also an option as he starred on the left against Leeds United in the absence of Vitalii Mykolenko..

Kenny was seen wildly celebrating after Coleman's early opener in the 3-0 win last weekend....

Lampard said: "He did and that's absolute gold because the fans will relate hugely to that. We all saw the images of that."

On 12/02/2022 at 13:20, velo army said:

With Rangers getting to the business end in those three competitions I highly doubt Patterson would start that many games between now and the end of the season anyway. If he plays regularly for Everton's U23s between now and the end of the season he'll be playing more than he would stuck on the Rangers bench so his fitness and match sharpness should be better.

He's also now training with better players every day so that should bring him on more as well.

Calls for him to be dropped and bringing in folk who havent been in the squad before are wild IMO, especially before such huge games. Maybe a different story for the Nations League games but injuries aside it'll be between Patterson and O'Donnell for the Ukraine and, hopefully, final play off game as well.

7 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Calls for him to be dropped and bringing in folk who havent been in the squad before are wild IMO, especially before such huge games. Maybe a different story for the Nations League games but injuries aside it'll be between Patterson and O'Donnell for the Ukraine and, hopefully, final play off game as well.

I think overall it's fair to say short term game time or form aren't an essential criteria for selection. I think the whole hard to break in and hard to drop out would be more applicable to Steve Clarke's squads. Trust and keeping the core of a successful team is more important than short term form. For that reason I expect Nathan Patterson will stay in the squad.

The only exception I can think of that contradicts this is with David Marshall, who was dropped for lack of game time. 

Edited by 2426255

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully starts tonight, otherwise chaos MUST ensue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lampard going pretty strong but he has said that Mykolenko will start at LB. Will he change both full-backs?

4 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Hooked at half time. I watched bits of first half and he looked pretty good in a terrible game. Twitter seems to be of a similar opinion

He did well but it seems to have been to change the formation, rather than because he did anything wrong. He had been one of their better players.

He was OK. Too negative in possession in BW's half and seemed to be unsure of attacking runs and positioning on the odd occasion but I'm not sure if that was his fault or those behind him not playing the right passes. He did help Everton get out of awkward pressing a couple of times and his pace did offer an out-ball every so often.