Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Neilson had already made 15 top flight appearances for Dundee United, plus 8 in League 1 for Falkirk on loan. Smith had already played for the Hearts first team, and had over 50 SPFL appearances under his belt, including 29 for Queen's Park in League 1 last season. I don't think there is any way they can be held up as Lowland League success stories.

On the contrary, the fact they played a couple of games in the Lowland League despite that clearly never being the long-term plan for them actually calls into question the integrity of the league in terms of B teams being at varying strengths throughout the season.

Smith played in the early games scored a hat trick v Berwick and an equaliser against us.

2 hours ago, stanley said:

Yes, I totally get the comparison to Naismith's point. I suppose I just think the cause of the problems of youngsters not making it won't be solved by Lowland League football but the reality remains to be seen. For one thing, we are barely giving any youngsters a chance and haven't for a while. No matter how many times they play in the Lowland League, without actually playing any of them in the first team, they'll certainly never make it.

Besides the obvious with Hickey, hasn't Hearts lost a few others in their teens to teams down south the past couple of years?

I don't know if i'm just more conscious of it, or that bigger clubs have ramped up recruitment at younger ages these days.

26 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Besides the obvious with Hickey, hasn't Hearts lost a few others in their teens to teams down south the past couple of years?

I don't know if i'm just more conscious of it, or that bigger clubs have ramped up recruitment at younger ages these days.

Hearts lost Marc Leonard to Brighton around five years ago and more recently Ewan Simpson to Aston Villa.  There has been talk of James Wilson signing for Man Utd once he turns 16 next week (he has already turned down Rangers).

It's become a fact of life for all teams in Scotland that EPL clubs can poach any of their "star" players once they reach 16 (they can't sign a pro contract with their home club before then).  Celtic lost Ben Doak to Liverpool and Rangers lost Rory Wilson to Aston Villa in the last year.

New rules on recruitment and training compensation came into effect this season with Scottish "Elite" clubs limited to signing just one youth player from each SPFL club per season.

Edited by Footballfirst

12 hours ago, Burnieman said:

We will probably know more when “Maxi” Maxwell’s plans come out in Julember.

18 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

We will probably know more when “Maxi” Maxwell’s plans come out in Julember.

No doubt will be leaked first via the useful idiot journos like English or Jackson with a story about how great it will make Scottish Football in years to come.

19 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

No doubt will be leaked first via the useful idiot journos like English or Jackson with a story about how great it will make Scottish Football in years to come.

Most likely, which can be added to the litany of s*it he has came out with in recent times.

24 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Yet another piss take from the B teams, Leon King playing against Cumbernauld after having played 11 times for 1st team.

My understanding of the rules last year and presumably this season is that the threshold is wiped at the winter transfer window.

It was 5 games in the first team to become ineligible. I take it he's played fewer than 5 fixtures this year?

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

My understanding of the rules last year and presumably this season is that the threshold is wiped at the winter transfer window.

It was 5 games in the first team to become ineligible. I take it he's played fewer than 5 fixtures this year?

I bow to your superior knowledge, it wasn’t my understanding of the rules though, I thought it was 5 for the season, and that the wiping of the rules only related to squad changes.

26 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

I bow to your superior knowledge, it wasn’t my understanding of the rules though, I thought it was 5 for the season, and that the wiping of the rules only related to squad changes.

5 in a window was the original proposal. Like I say, there's been tweaks since then so it may have changed. Although I'd assume not if he's played.

3 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Yet another piss take from the B teams, Leon King playing against Cumbernauld after having played 11 times for 1st team.

As long as sporting integrity is maintained then that is the most important thing.

If a B team is playing in a non-reserve league then the players should not be eligible for the first team at all unless under the same loan arrangements that apply to all other clubs. A player registered with a 'normal' league team wouldn't be allowed to play for another team outwith a loan deal and certainly wouldn't be allowed to go back and forth between them. Makes a mockery of registration regulations otherwise. 

It's something that would have to be worked out if reserves were ever part of the same league body. It's something that other "reserves" in the pyramid get around by being on paper the same club competing in different competitions.

Its why you here the story of Stirling Uni EoS folding if the LL team were relegated. Can't have two teams in the same league.

Good article on the BBC website today about Benfica's youth academy, which includes a B-team at Tier 2 in Portugal:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64763373

They have produced a lot of players for the national team.  Some are still at the club and others now play elsewhere in Europe.

B-Teams feature in professional leagues across Europe e.g. Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Norway, Czech Rep, Poland etc.

There's nothing wrong with the concept, but its long-term success will depend on the detail and how it is implemented in Scotland.

Edited by Che Dail